Bionic or Galaxy S2

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
+1 on VZW needing something big. The Bionic ain't cutting it.

This this statement baffles me. How come? Why is the Bionic so bad all of a sudden? A few months ago this was the phone to have and now the S2 is leaps and bounds better? I have seen several people ask but no one gives a straight answer, why are people saying the S2 is so much better than the Bionic? Sooo confused, haha

Bionic will be an excellent LTE device. The SII in my opinion is "better" because it has more RAM, Better Screen, Nicer UI and just as good if not better CPU/GPU than the Bionic. I'm not saying the Tegra is a slouch by any means. They both are essentially the same architecture.

I'd say it's "better" for those reasons. Make no mistake about it though the Bionic is a very worthy device.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
In regards to updates and Samsung if memory serves me right the Americans never got updates but our brothers over the pond did correct?

No matter though it's shipping with Gingerbread

edit: Verizon's version is supposed to be called the "Samsung Galaxy 2 4G LTE"

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah they got them across the pond. Samsung blames the carriers I believe. Personally if it comes down to it, I'll pick the SII over the Bionic in a heartbeat. The only thing that could stop me is the Targa.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I like The Galaxy S2 also but I need a HDMI Jack:unsure:. I am not going to AT&T for this phone. Except for that release sheet every site says that it is a GSM Phone which mean AT&T:work3:... I was hoping it was coming to Verizon got my hopes up. This would be the Only phone that I will leave The Bionic for.

Samsung GALAXY S II

EgooEspada

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the micro usb supports hdmi output. Forget the name of the tech, but its the same port on the EVO 3D.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I'm pretty sure the micro usb supports hdmi output. Forget the name of the tech, but its the same port on the EVO 3D.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

If that is True about The HDMI Jack and The USB are the Same and If it comes to Verizon!!! Then my Decision is easy!!!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Ill be right there with you jkhonea :)

This will be a great purchase...

Sent from my Droid

creaky

Reaction score
edit: Verizon's version is supposed to be called the "Samsung Galaxy 2 4G LTE"

Is that from the spreadsheet that was leaked? Or are there other leak goodies I don't know about?!

Also, do you know if the button at the bottom of the SII is a trackpad? I assume it is, but I haven't seen it used in the videos that are out there.

Jester6x

Reaction score
I should've added "for me".

The Bionic only has 512mb of RAM. That's what kills me about the device itself... and Moto's antics of locking everything down.

... my comment stems more from the fact that LG, HTC and Samsung have these dual core devices coming out, and other than the SII (which still isn't confirmed) none of them are coming to VZW any time soon. Why is my only choice for dual core on VZW at this point going to be the Bionic?

I do apologize for any confusion... and don't mean to make the Bionic seem like junk... but I'm not looking for a Moto device (except maybe the Targa) so in my opinion the Bionic isn't cutting it on VZW... for me :)

Ok, got it now! I was getting really worried I missed something that was going to kill this device. Obviously Moto locking things down is very frustrating since I love being able to change ROMs whenever I want, but with the way things are going, are we ever going to really truly get a D1 again?

I do agree with Preach about wanting an HDMI out and, for me, the lapdock is really an interesting feature for when I am sitting on the couch and don't want to fire up the computer or my laptop for a few minutes of web browsing.

Since our only source that this device will be out in May or even on Verizon is that leaked 'roadmap' I am still really hesitant to believe it. And I'm impatient and don't want to wait for the fall, haha. Thanks for the explanation Martin!

Jester6x

Reaction score
Bionic will be an excellent LTE device. The SII in my opinion is "better" because it has more RAM, Better Screen, Nicer UI and just as good if not better CPU/GPU than the Bionic. I'm not saying the Tegra is a slouch by any means. They both are essentially the same architecture.

I'd say it's "better" for those reasons. Make no mistake about it though the Bionic is a very worthy device.

Good to hear CK. I've been following this device and indirectly your thoughts on it since you were pretty excited from the start. So to hear you would rather have another device really peaks my interest about the Sammy. I can only hope that these phones come out within a short time period of each other so they can be really compared. But you can wish in one hand..........haha

Xak02

Reaction score
Verizon NEEDS to get some good flagship Droid phones out there. The Bionic will be good, but not a game changer by any means. If the S2 weren't to happen, I would honestly drop back to the Incredible 2 over the Bionic. I know it doesn't have LTE, but there is just something about the Bionic that isn't doing it for me.

If the SII doesn't come... then I really don't see anything that I wanna get (LG's offering on VZW was stripped of it's dual core :(). I'll have to decide on a device I really want elsewhere, or settle for something on VZW. And it's terrible that I have to think this way... shouldn't have to 'settle' for a device. Just get something big VZW!
I'm curious to know what you guys are meaning by "something big".

corymcnutt

Reaction score
Someone said the S2's screen is better - the SA on the Samsung has less pixels and would be harder to see in the sunlight, correct?

Also, what about call quality & signal - does one company have a better track record? After all, it is a phone and I need a good speakerphone & quality. Just asking, because I don't know.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Verizon NEEDS to get some good flagship Droid phones out there. The Bionic will be good, but not a game changer by any means. If the S2 weren't to happen, I would honestly drop back to the Incredible 2 over the Bionic. I know it doesn't have LTE, but there is just something about the Bionic that isn't doing it for me.

If the SII doesn't come... then I really don't see anything that I wanna get (LG's offering on VZW was stripped of it's dual core :(). I'll have to decide on a device I really want elsewhere, or settle for something on VZW. And it's terrible that I have to think this way... shouldn't have to 'settle' for a device. Just get something big VZW!
I'm curious to know what you guys are meaning by "something big".

Something with a whole lot of high end specs. Basically,we want a super phone. It seems that each of these new phones skimps on one thing or another but it looks like the SII isn't really skimping on anything.