Bionic not allowing calls or texts. Please Help!!!

kypeout

Reaction score
Has anyone cracked the code on this yet? I've exactly the same problem and have spent nearly an hour on the phone with tech support going through every setting on my phone and no luck. Live and bought phone (actually 2 Bionics and same problem with both) in Maryland and when visting family in NW Missouri I get the "No network available. Emergency calls only" message and the pop up asking to deny or accept international roaming (neither choice appears to do anything as the message keeps popping up). My last Droid worked here, three other models of Verizon phones in family work here, even my Samsung tablet gets slow (1x) data service here. Every now and then my Bionic phones will work for a bit and even get 1x data service...but mostly nothing. Only seems to be a problem with the Bionic.

kypeout

Reaction score
Oh...and I just got the new software upgrade last week...and still have the same problems. Has anyone else had this in an extended area that's not NW Missouri / SW Iowa?

wooddale

Reaction score
Oh...and I just got the new software upgrade last week...and still have the same problems. Has anyone else had this in an extended area that's not NW Missouri / SW Iowa?
I got a cabin in Wi extended service area You gotta keep the phone on CDMA only. Or it wont get signal

marinegundoctor

Reaction score
Same problem but (supposedly) resolved

I had the same problem as the OP with my new Bionic in SW Iowa (Creston, Mt Ayr, etc). I live about 16mi North of I-80 in a Verizon area. I spoke with a CS/Tech rep the other day about my earpiece getting rattle sounding. She had the same problem too but found out why.
She said the problem was due to Moto software on the Bionic and the owner of the towers (I forgot who they are now). She also said that they went out and bought a Bionic from VZW to test/troubleshoot the issue and resolve it. She said the .893 update should fix the problem, or at least it did for her. I have not been down in that area since updating to .893.

marinegundoctor

Reaction score
The bad part is that you can't even make an emergency call. I tried it out of desperation just to see if anything would go through.

StoneUpNorth

Reaction score
Any new updates?

Any news on this?
I have been struggling with this issue with Verizon & Motorola for some time now.
I live in N.E. WI. I'm a Verizon customer & their coverage area is just across the river in Michigan, but where I live & spend most of my time is in WI which is an Extended Network area covered by Cell-Com.
Problems with my Bionic started at just about exactly the same time that the latest software update came out in (November?)
It took numerous trouble tickets to get Verizon to even acknowledge the problem.
Once I got someone's attention they replaced the SIM card in my phone, but that didn't help.
They then TWICE replaced my Bionic with different phones, to no avail.
I never seem to have a problem when I'm in MI & actually in the Verizon network, but I frequently (multiple times a day) get the problem of my phone suddenly showing NO SERVICE (no data, voice, nothing) when in the Extended Network.
Verizon engineers have tried working with CellCom & determined there are no issues with their network.
I have other 4G phones on my account & they all work fine in the Extended Network area.
Verizon also has a long list of Droid Bionic customers that are having the exact same problem in this area.
Verizon tells me that they've exhausted the list of things they can do to solve the problem and have forwarded the issue to Motorola for help.
Verizon has been good & offered to let me out of my contract as they've been unable to fix the issue....but I don't want to do that if I can find another solution.
I've contacted Motorola for help & gotten nothing but the run-around.
I explained the situation to several levels of dull-normals at Motorola, including telling them that this is supposed to be a known issue, but everyone wants to check meaningless settings & power-cycle the phone.
After being on the phone for over an hour I worked my way up to a supervisor who would offer no other solution than to have me send the phone in for repair.
I tried explaining that I've had the same issue with three separate phones, and that numerous other customers in the area were having the same issue....but the supervisor wouldn't listen.
What I wanted was for Motorola to swap the Bionic out for a different model that didn't have the same issue.
The supervisor understood my request, but refused to be of any assistance.
EXTREMELY UNHAPPY with Motorola's LACK of customer care on this issue.
Phone coverage has been so unreliable with the Bionic that I've had to take it off of my line & replace it with an older phone.
What I have now is a $300 Wi-Fi only PDA.
SHAME ON YOU, MOTOROLA! If you can't fix the software glitch on your product, you need to take care of your customers & offer them a solution!

wooddale

Reaction score
Any news on this?
I have been struggling with this issue with Verizon & Motorola for some time now.
I live in N.E. WI. I'm a Verizon customer & their coverage area is just across the river in Michigan, but where I live & spend most of my time is in WI which is an Extended Network area covered by Cell-Com.
Problems with my Bionic started at just about exactly the same time that the latest software update came out in (November?)
It took numerous trouble tickets to get Verizon to even acknowledge the problem.
Once I got someone's attention they replaced the SIM card in my phone, but that didn't help.
They then TWICE replaced my Bionic with different phones, to no avail.
I never seem to have a problem when I'm in MI & actually in the Verizon network, but I frequently (multiple times a day) get the problem of my phone suddenly showing NO SERVICE (no data, voice, nothing) when in the Extended Network.
Verizon engineers have tried working with CellCom & determined there are no issues with their network.
I have other 4G phones on my account & they all work fine in the Extended Network area.
Verizon also has a long list of Droid Bionic customers that are having the exact same problem in this area.
Verizon tells me that they've exhausted the list of things they can do to solve the problem and have forwarded the issue to Motorola for help.
Verizon has been good & offered to let me out of my contract as they've been unable to fix the issue....but I don't want to do that if I can find another solution.
I've contacted Motorola for help & gotten nothing but the run-around.
I explained the situation to several levels of dull-normals at Motorola, including telling them that this is supposed to be a known issue, but everyone wants to check meaningless settings & power-cycle the phone.
After being on the phone for over an hour I worked my way up to a supervisor who would offer no other solution than to have me send the phone in for repair.
I tried explaining that I've had the same issue with three separate phones, and that numerous other customers in the area were having the same issue....but the supervisor wouldn't listen.
What I wanted was for Motorola to swap the Bionic out for a different model that didn't have the same issue.
The supervisor understood my request, but refused to be of any assistance.
EXTREMELY UNHAPPY with Motorola's LACK of customer care on this issue.
Phone coverage has been so unreliable with the Bionic that I've had to take it off of my line & replace it with an older phone.
What I have now is a $300 Wi-Fi only PDA.
SHAME ON YOU, MOTOROLA! If you can't fix the software glitch on your product, you need to take care of your customers & offer them a solution!

Im from IL but also have a place in Mid Wi also in extended network mine is US Cell. I have to put my Bio in CDMA only to get a signal I wont work if it is in 4G. I also have a network extender at the cabin because I cant even pickup US Cells siug there but it does work.

StoneUpNorth

Reaction score
I've tried the CDMA only thing. Tried every possible combination either I, the V store, or tech-support could think of.
Craziest thing that the problem seems to be ONLY with the Bionic. Other Motorola phones, as well as other 4G phones work just fine.
Last I'd asked, the local V store had a list of 15 customers, ALL with the Bionic, all with the same problem, all of which had the problem start around the same time as the last software update. Why the problem would be unique to the Bionic is a mystery to me, but I really want some satisfaction from Motorola on this issue.
Verizon has been great in doing their best to work with me, after they finally saw that it was a genuine issue.

StoneUpNorth

Reaction score
BTW....I have the .893 update. The problem for me STARTED just after that update was installed. Can't say with 100% certainty that the software update is the cause, but have pretty much ruled out any other possibility.

wooddale

Reaction score
BTW....I have the .893 update. The problem for me STARTED just after that update was installed. Can't say with 100% certainty that the software update is the cause, but have pretty much ruled out any other possibility.

I am a fanatic about my phone I went to the high heavens to get it wright. Here in IL I dont have the problems you are having but I do get get data drops even though I am in a 4G area. It is the phone and or combanition of phone and network. Either way its not wright. Verizon also has bent over backwards to please me I have no problems with them. You are wright Motorola is dropping the ball and Verizon is picking it up for them. There is another OTA out leaked unoffical whatever 5.9.901. You dont have to be rooted to get it or anything illegal. I have been running it on my phone for a few days now and it is like a new phone. twice as snappy doesnt drop data signal and battery life is outstanding. It makes it the phone I bought 5 months ago so far hope it continues. Cant see a lot that could happen unless it starts dropping data signal but I dont think so.

StoneUpNorth

Reaction score
I am a fanatic about my phone I went to the high heavens to get it wright. Here in IL I dont have the problems you are having but I do get get data drops even though I am in a 4G area. It is the phone and or combanition of phone and network. Either way its not wright. Verizon also has bent over backwards to please me I have no problems with them. You are wright Motorola is dropping the ball and Verizon is picking it up for them. There is another OTA out leaked unoffical whatever 5.9.901. You dont have to be rooted to get it or anything illegal. I have been running it on my phone for a few days now and it is like a new phone. twice as snappy doesnt drop data signal and battery life is outstanding. It makes it the phone I bought 5 months ago so far hope it continues. Cant see a lot that could happen unless it starts dropping data signal but I dont think so.

I saw that 5.9.901 was released, but then pulled back. Guessing it was buggy & not quite ready for prime-time.
Any way I can still get it? Motorola wouldn't give me an answer as to when it will be (re)released.
Figure trying it can't hurt.
Other thing is, I don't currently have active service on the phone. If the update is available, is it something I can access over Wi-Fi?