Bionic not allowing calls or texts. Please Help!!!

Jtorbs

Reaction score
bionic connection issues

I have had the same problem with dropped calls and network unavailable. I thought it was a bad Sim card or defective phone. I replaced both the phone and the card and I am having the same problems. Someone please help. I have also tried switching to CDMA with no success.

cyclone

Reaction score
bionic connection issues

I am also having the EXACT same problem and I am also in the exact same coverage area. My parents have an old LG Chocolate and a new Droid X2 and both phones work just fine making calls and sending and recieving texts. They both even get internet, its slow, but its there. Anyone had any new developments on the issue?

marinegundoctor

Reaction score
I'm having the same problems as well. I live in a Verizon network but when I travel south occasionally for work my Bionic will not make or receive calls or text. The area is in Southwestern Iowa--Red Oak, Creston, Mt Ayr, Afton, Corning areas and all points in between. I can attempt to make a call and the phone will say "connecting" and then ring maybe once. Immediately following it will display "roaming indicator on" on the right and "call lost/out of service area" on the left. After this I can not make or receive calls. All I get is "Emergency calls only" and network unavailable (or no network, I forget exactly what it says). As an experiment I even dialed 911 to see if anything would get through. I got the same network unavailable popup so no 911 calls in the extended network for me. Everyone else I work with has Verizon phones working fine there, but none of them are 4G phones. I know Cellular One is in those areas and Chat Mobility (not sure what their network consists of, though).

wooddale

Reaction score
I'm having the same problems as well. I live in a Verizon network but when I travel south occasionally for work my Bionic will not make or receive calls or text. The area is in Southwestern Iowa--Red Oak, Creston, Mt Ayr, Afton, Corning areas and all points in between. I can attempt to make a call and the phone will say "connecting" and then ring maybe once. Immediately following it will display "roaming indicator on" on the right and "call lost/out of service area" on the left. After this I can not make or receive calls. All I get is "Emergency calls only" and network unavailable (or no network, I forget exactly what it says). As an experiment I even dialed 911 to see if anything would get through. I got the same network unavailable popup so no 911 calls in the extended network for me. Everyone else I work with has Verizon phones working fine there, but none of them are 4G phones. I know Cellular One is in those areas and Chat Mobility (not sure what their network consists of, though).

I know if you are in a 3g only area or a extended network area you need to set phone to CDMA only but didnt think that affected calls

steeletown

Reaction score
Did you try enabling your roaming

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

marinegundoctor

Reaction score
@wooddale
I tried manually switching the phone to CDMA only vs CDMA/LTE to no avail.
@stelletown
I'm not sure about enabling roaming. Could you please tell me how to do that?
Thanks.

wooddale

Reaction score
@wooddale
I tried manually switching the phone to CDMA only vs CDMA/LTE to no avail.
@stelletown
I'm not sure about enabling roaming. Could you please tell me how to do that?
Thanks.

To get data roaming go into settings/battery and data manager/data delivery/data roaming. I have been having problems today myself the phone says 4G Im in a strong 4G area Connection is 3G at best gonna call Verizon Tommorow

mkmizzou

Reaction score
Exact same problem

I live in Olathe, KS but go to school in Maryville, MO. I have no service what so ever on my Bionic. I cannot call or text plus I have no 1x/3g/4g at all. Just wondering if there is a quick fix for this or if the problem has been solved?

I have called (from a friends phone) tech support and they told me that there wasnt anything they could do. They said if I went to St Joesph so I had 3g they could reset my phone or something like that. I have tried everything posted on this thread to no avail.

Let me know if there is anything to do

Thanks

marinegundoctor

Reaction score
To get data roaming go into settings/battery and data manager/data delivery/data roaming. I have been having problems today myself the phone says 4G Im in a strong 4G area Connection is 3G at best gonna call Verizon Tommorow
Thanks for that. Data roaming is checked. I live in a 3G area so I can't comment on 4G performance yet. I have had instances where 3G wasn't working, but I think that may have been JuiceDefender stopping it. I need to do more research into it.

wooddale

Reaction score
I live in Olathe, KS but go to school in Maryville, MO. I have no service what so ever on my Bionic. I cannot call or text plus I have no 1x/3g/4g at all. Just wondering if there is a quick fix for this or if the problem has been solved?

I have called (from a friends phone) tech support and they told me that there wasnt anything they could do. They said if I went to St Joesph so I had 3g they could reset my phone or something like that. I have tried everything posted on this thread to no avail.
Y

Thanks
I think I no whats is wrong its your sim card when I first got my phone I was in Wisconsin on an extended network you cant activate a phone with avsim card on an extended network you need to be on a real Verizon tower. Thats probably why he told you to go to St Josephs or whatever that is probably a Verizon tower. Once you get there an activate your sim you should be good. Jusst remember you cant flash a rom or anything either unless your on a tower. When it happened to me it retired my sim card and they had to give me another.They dont ozt anything you just gotta get them from store or in mail quicker if you go to store

marinegundoctor

Reaction score

Thanks
A VZW 4G technician told me get back to a Verizon network and pull my SIM card for 10 seconds, replace it, and power on the phone. I noticed a partial improvement in coverage on my next trip to the same areas, but nothing satisfactory.
I am thinking that if reliable communications are paramount concern, then one should avoid this (or possibly 4G in general) phone. All 3G phones seem to roam fine where my 4G Bionic will not. I wonder if the problem is the 'other guys' network having trouble authenticating an LTE phone on it's network?

wooddale

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Data roaming is checked. I live in a 3G area so I can't comment on 4G performance yet. I have had instances where 3G wasn't working, but I think that may have been JuiceDefender stopping it. I need to do more research into it.
Juice Defender is ok but not until tbey get these phones fixed the last thing you want to do.now is mess with your data signal which JD does it will save battery but still there will be lag time.

wooddale

Reaction score
A VZW 4G technician told me get back to a Verizon network and pull my SIM card for 10 seconds, replace it, and power on the phone. I noticed a partial improvement in coverage on my next trip to the same areas, but nothing satisfactory.
I am thinking that if reliable communications are paramount concern, then one should avoid this (or possibly 4G in general) phone. All 3G phones seem to roam fine where my 4G Bionic will not. I wonder if the problem is the 'other guys' network having trouble authenticating an LTE phone on it's network?
Dont no about where you are but in Wi the other carier US Cellular is only 3g you cant get 4g if you are on an extended network the phone will only work good on CDMA only

marinegundoctor

Reaction score
Juice Defender is ok but not until tbey get these phones fixed the last thing you want to do.now is mess with your data signal which JD does it will save battery but still there will be lag time.
Yeah, I think I will uninstall that for the time being.

marinegundoctor

Reaction score
Dont no about where you are but in Wi the other carier US Cellular is only 3g you cant get 4g if you are on an extended network the phone will only work good on CDMA only
I think it is US Cellular here as well. I couldn't even get on CDMA while in the extended network. Once I left Verizon's towers I was doomed. At one point in time the lock screen would say "No SIM card, please insert a SIM card".