Bionic LapDock Impressions

GBH2

Reaction score
Lapdock vs. netbook - keep in mind the lapdock is about the thickness of a tablet (super thin), so it's much thinner than a laptop/netbook for a ~12" screen. It's an interesting concept. I've played with mine for a while yesterday. You basically have a smaller phone screen and firefox full browser. I found it similar to browsing on a regular PC with my 4G connection and reasonable on 3G - way better than viewing std web pages on the phone's smaller screen. I used the USB port to copy over my pictures/music from my D1 droid's SD card using a card reader - very cool feature (which can be done on the HD dock too btw). I'm going to test out using a wireless mouse with the dock next. It would be nice if it gave you a 12" screen of the phone (like a tablet running 2.3), not the limited size (maybe it does this and I haven't done it correctly yet). Where I can see the lapdock as particularly useful is watching larger screen videos, full screen browsing, and web apps like google docs to better edit office files you've got on your phone, and typing emails as noted by others.

Having some additional webtop apps to do more than just the browser will be nice. The FF camera would have been nice for use with Skype. If you don't really need a laptop/netbook for traveling, this seems like a nice option for having a bigger screen & keybd.

I think a $150-200 price point would make it a LOT more attractive to the general population.

I'll add more if I learn anything new through use.

Good points!

I agree about the price, I got it for $199, I would have not paid $299.

You can have a 12" phone screen, in the lower left corner of the "phone" on the screen there is a square you click that gives you a full screen phone view, right next to the square is a "flip" arrow that changes view from portrait to landscape. In landscape mode, the phone view takes up the entire screen, it is actually huge, lol. To exit full screen just move the cursor to the top or the bottom of the screen, this took me a few minutes to figure out. :)

The development community has done a lot of work with the Webtop on the Atrix, I think that will expand exponentially with the Bionic. :)

jstrickland1216

Reaction score
I am on day 2 of the Lap Dock as well. True a built in camera and backlit keys would have been nice but I have been very pleased so far. The laptop dock is super light. My deciding factor was the fact that I have unlimited 4g so anywhere I am I can have a netbook experience without a monthly tethering or hotspot fee. It feels good to type on, only I am having issues with the space bar not always working as I type fast so I have to make a deliberate keystroke at times. Here are some of my pros and cons:

Pros:
Data Connectivity Anywhere Verizon Is
No Tethering Charge for unlimited 4g
Netbook experience at a fraction of the cost
Streaming Netflix
Document editing in the firefox browser through google docs
Making the phone mirror full screen and being able to type text messages with the keyboard

Cons:
I have received an "Low on memory" error. I closed an app or two and it went away. Not sure about this one
No Camera
$299 was steep. Would have much rather had a lower entry price but that's what I paid to get it first.

Reaction score
Like said at beginning. Lots of missed keys due to lack of precision on keys. My "C" almost never comes out on quick types. But honestly... its a keeper. Instead of buying a laptop and adding on a hotspot charge to my already high bill I can rape the 4g/3g coverage with this little expensive device.

grrouchie

Reaction score
I am going to keep my eye on it. I am very interested in it but only at a much lower price point. Think it would be great fir videos and such.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

The_Other_Ray

Reaction score
Will the extended battery still enable the bionic to fit into the lapdock?

Sent from Droid Incredible

dra868

Reaction score
I thank all of you for your hands on reviews . I have been going back and forth on making this purchase. Not so much because of price but functionality. The reviews were not stellar, but I find the capabilities may out way some of the imperfections. Having 1 device meeting all my needs is awesome!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Have to say, the more I've used it, the more I LOVE it. That's not to say there aren't improvements that could be made.

A lighted keyboard has been mentioned many times, and while I would like it, I don't see any entry level netbooks with them. Either way, would be nice, but not an issue for me.

FF Camera has also been mentioned, a little surprised this wasn't included, it would work great with the docked phone app. Disappointed, but again, not an issue.

The keyboard is a bit small, but not terrible. I find the keyboard to be responsive and keeps up with my typing just fine. The lack of a few other built in "functions" would have been nice (used in conjuction with the "fn" key). I'm learning some of the keyboard shortcuts, the space bar does page down in the browser, alt/tab allows you to switch windows, very handy.

The fact that the battery LASTS for a long time, and that's while it's charging the phone is a major plus!

Now if I could just find some detailed instructions for other keyboard shortcuts or a good online tutorial for Firefox, I'd be all set. I've found a few, but nothing for the Webtop version specifically. All are for the desktop version which is close, but not completely the same as they claim. If anyone has any others they want to chime in with or a link to a walkthru or shortcuts, by all means, do so!

I guess for the $200 I paid for it, I couldn't be happier. I'm still getting used to all of it's little quirks, but I think most of them are more of a case of what I'm used to and would want it to do, rather than an actual shortcoming.

Now if we can get enough of them out there being used, maybe developers will port more programs over to be native webtop apps, it would be perfect!

OP
ConqSoft

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Agreed. The more I've used mine the more I find it useful.

I'm wondering if they will ever add support for a USB webcam of some sort... Hmm.

mach330

Reaction score
sorry for the stupid question. I just wanted to ask before I try this lapdock. Just wanted to confirm.

- so we can use phones' 4G and wifi connection to surf on this thing without paying extra fees?
- this just basically an extension of the phone? bigger screen and a keyboard

What's the resolution on the screen? Same as the phone? It's not pentile is it? lol

OP
ConqSoft

ConqSoft

Reaction score
sorry for the stupid question. I just wanted to ask before I try this lapdock. Just wanted to confirm.

- so we can use phones' 4G and wifi connection to surf on this thing without paying extra fees?
- this just basically an extension of the phone? bigger screen and a keyboard

Yes

What's the resolution on the screen? Same as the phone? It's not pentile is it? lol

1366x768

mach330

Reaction score
Yes

1366x768

thanks.

great, just read the fine print. since i got my bionic at costco, I guess I can't get the $100 rebate.

"Lapdock and DROID BIONIC must appear on the same receipt"

$200 is worth it, but not $300 in my eyes. my wife will be happy i'm not spending more money today.

jseah

Reaction score
thanks.

great, just read the fine print. since i got my bionic at costco, I guess I can't get the $100 rebate.

"Lapdock and DROID BIONIC must appear on the same receipt"

$200 is worth it, but not $300 in my eyes. my wife will be happy i'm not spending more money today.

I've also noticed (tried adding it to cart online) that the 25% corporate discount on accessories does not apply to the lapdock either.

Here are the requirements for the $100 rebate (according to the rebate form)

1. You have to have either the $50/5GB or $80/10GB data plan
2. Data packages less than $50 and data package combinations are not eligible
3. Eligible data package must remain active for at least 30 consecutive days
4. Lapdock and Droid Bionic must appear on the same receipt.

http://content.atomz.com/pb00003783/publish/htdocs/images/DroidLapdock_MailinRebateForm.pdf

das2042

Reaction score
I got it and I think its awesome! I travel a lot for work(rv shows) so its great to be able to go online without having to tether. I enjoy it and its a light lighter and smaller than my laptop

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums