Bionic kernels

cmcguffee

Reaction score
I know it sounds dumb, but I've seen Droid devs do crazy things before. Why can't anybody unlock the boot loader?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

HavoC

Reaction score
Motorola has apparently locked them down, starting with the DROID X, and progressively getting douchey-er on every device they've released since then.
They probably have locked them down so much they can't even get them to unlock for their own OTA updates, which would explain why it takes them so long to release them lol.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
They are encrypted. They will never be unlocked. Only way around it is through a bypass like the kexec kernel. Its a long shot though.

raul4916

Reaction score
i dont get why they did tht
less ppl are gonna buy their products if u think about cause whe u think of droid u gta think of roms
atm pissed cause of tht and cause they tk long time to make ICS for bionic

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Most buyers of smart phones never root or even know what root is. If Motorola was losing customers its minimal and not enough to get them to unlock anything. Don't want to worry about boot loaders? Buy a Samsung or HTC.

raul4916

Reaction score
Gd to know
when i bought droid i wasnt really intrested and didnt know how bad motorola was
next time(1 mre yr to go)
i will look more in depth

OP
cmcguffee

cmcguffee

Reaction score
How does it benefit them to spend more time and money locking the boot loader when the only people that even care are the people that see it as a negative thing. Motorola needs to realize they should keep their military grade radios and civilian devices separate.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
How does it benefit them to spend more time and money locking the boot loader when the only people that even care are the people that see it as a negative thing. Motorola needs to realize they should keep their military grade radios and civilian devices separate.

They're trying to be the business standard. On some business networks, you can't have a rooted phone because it sets off security warnings. That's why Moto keeps patching the root exploits with every update.

chuck54

Reaction score
Well actually, Motorola has them unlocked, some motorola phones under other companies have unlockable bootloaders. Verizon tells motorola to unlock the bootloader. The reason why samsung phones are unlockable from verizon is because they tell verizon take it or leave it.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well actually, Motorola has them unlocked, some motorola phones under other companies have unlockable bootloaders. Verizon tells motorola to unlock the bootloader. The reason why samsung phones are unlockable from verizon is because they tell verizon take it or leave it.

I don't think so...the Atrix was locked down and it was on AT&T. The only reason it ever got unlocked is because of an unprecedented leak. The only other product of Moto that I know has an unlockable bootloader is the Xoom (or whatever it's called now).

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
Gd to know
when i bought droid i wasnt really intrested and didnt know how bad motorola was
next time(1 mre yr to go)
i will look more in depth
if its that bad ebay it.
i just ebay it. im currently selling my wifes old razr on ebay to pay for her droid 4 which i bought on ebay. its prett easy to switch phones around.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
i dont get why they did tht
less ppl are gonna buy their products if u think about cause whe u think of droid u gta think of roms
atm pissed cause of tht and cause they tk long time to make ICS for bionic

Carrier demand. Motorola has always been a strong player in the business sector with other communications tools (2 way radios, etc) - I think they see Android as an opportunity to get customers to switch from the arguably outdated Blackberry platform. One way to do this is to control the OS that can be loaded onto the device. They probably put their feelers out, and an encrypted bootloader was one of the requirements (my guess would be from potential Federal government customers, they love their 256 bit AES encryption). If there were an easy way to unlock the bootloader, ANYONE could do it - including workers with devices that hold sensitive information. The problem with an unlocked bootloader is that it allows a potential avenue of malware infection. So far, I have never heard of a malicious kernel/ROM combination - but that's not to say it couldn't be accomplished.

As for ICS, yes it's taking a long time - but it even took a long time for the GNex to be updated to a modern ICS version (4.0.2 was an entire API level behind). I'd rather it take a long time, than be released before it is ready. I'll reserve being pissed for the launch, if it has more issues than the current GB OS, then I will be pissed.

Silvernirvash

Reaction score
Well what substantial issues does the gb os have in the first place? I barely noticed any aside from a once in a blue moon large drain on my battery and while annoying its very rare for it to happen.