Bionic just bricked itself? com.android.phone has stopped

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
I have no clue how this just happened. I'm not rooted and I wasn't doing anything to modify it either, I had just opened up the Play store, and then the screen went black. The screen was on, and the softkeys were lit up, but wasn't responding to anything. I tried turning the screen off, tried seeing if it would let me power it down, it wasn't responding to anything. After about 10 minutes of letting it sit there, I finally did a battery pull and started it back up.

As soon as it got to the unlock screen, I could tell whatever just happened wasn't good. It was back to the stock wallpaper, and every 2 seconds I got "Unfortunately, com.android.phone has stopped". In the notification bar I noticed Wifi was on but not connected to the internet, and that I had no cell phone signal whatsoever, even after a minute of being on. I was able to see the home screen, and all of the apps and widgets are there (most of them stuck on loading though), and nothing seems to be helping. I ran it in safe mode, but that hasn't helped at all. I ran a quick google search on the issue, and everyone else seems to have had this problem on the Bionic when they were updating to JB, which is why it makes no sense that this just happened.

I have an upgrade available, but of course 1 month after my upgrade date, the phone suddenly quits on me exactly like my last phone did. I don't want to upgrade because I don't want to get a RAZR which is the only thing Verizon has for Motorola phones, and I'm trying to hold out for the color-customized version of the Moto X which won't be coming out for a few more months. I have a feeling the answer is going to be a factory reset, but in the google search I saw that it was the same answer, only people were being told to do backups, first. Well, doing a backup is rather hard when I have a popup literally every 2 seconds. Is there a way I can do it from the boot menu? The last time I did something like this was with my old Droid 1, and that was 3 years ago.

Upgrading is not an option for me right now. I don't have the money to get a decent phone right now (going off to college next week) and I really don't want a RAZR.

Since nobody is probably awake at this hour, I'll probably google most of this before anyone even reads this, but I'd like to figure out why this happened all of a sudden.

OP
H

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
This bit is interesting.. After a few minutes of letting it do whatever it's trying to do, the popups stop. But what I've found is that the Google Play Store is no longer there. Books, Magazine, and Movies aer still there but Music and Store are both gone.

I have internet now, but that's useless if I can't get an app to do a backup on.

After a few minutes though the phone begins to lock up, can't get to the home screen and it gets stuck on the app tray, and all it can do from there is turn off the screen and unlock it.

Also, com.motorola.process.system is another that has stopped working.

Stinson317

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Well next thing I would try is wiping cache. It that doesn't solve issues, I'd do a factory reset. If that doesn't work I'd reflash. Good luck.

OP
H

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
Well next thing I would try is wiping cache. It that doesn't solve issues, I'd do a factory reset. If that doesn't work I'd reflash. Good luck.

Great timing, I was just about to do that.. Doing it now, actually.

Since my last post I've also done a small backup with LookOut, and since that wasn't enough for me, I decided to back up all the files onto my computer.

And didn't even get done with typing this.. Wiping the cache did nothing for me. I have everything that I want backed up onto my computer right now, and they're all photos actually. I shouldn't need to worry about any of this though, right? Because most of that is on my SD card, but just I did just in case there was photos on the device itself. So probably going to go do a Factory Reset now.

OP
H

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
Woah woah woah.. So this is a CLN Bionic after my last Bionic bricked itself.. "qe 0/1". This phone's been rooted before, but I've never rooted it. God I hope I don't have to take this thing into Verizon, and that if I do, that I don't get an employee who actually knows what they're doing and what to look for..

Okay I just did factory reset from the boot menu.. Something tells me that shouldn't have taken 2 seconds.

OP
H

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
Factory reset did nothing.. In a chat with someone at Verizon who says that he might have a fix for it, but he might just have me try to do another factory reset again.

Aaaannd that's what he wanted me to do. Back to square 1.

mattjenn

Reaction score
That root checker on the old moto phones don't work my wife has a RAZR and she doesn't root or even use a 3rd party launcher and hers was brand new out of box and said it was rooted. So I wouldn't worry about that I got a replacement droid 4 and it said it had been rooted and they said nothing to me. If your got a certified present owned replacement they have a 1 year warranty from whenever they replaced your other phone as well.

OP
H

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
That root checker on the old moto phones don't work my wife has a RAZR and she doesn't root or even use a 3rd party launcher and hers was brand new out of box and said it was rooted. So I wouldn't worry about that I got a replacement droid 4 and it said it had been rooted and they said nothing to me. If your got a certified present owned replacement they have a 1 year warranty from whenever they replaced your other phone as well.

So far, none of the at-home remedies are working.. Can't even think about what caused this. The only connection I can make is that I had just opened up the Google Play Store and clicked on My Apps, then all of a sudden the screen went black for a while, finally did a battery pull and rebooted it and there was no more Google Play or Music, and this stupid error keeps popping up. I underexaggerated earlier, actually, it takes about half a second for the error to popup after I close it. After about 5 minutes of it though, it finally slows down to an error every 15-30 seconds, varying from com.android.phone to com.motorola.process.system, and occasionally some google play and music errors as well.

But it's off to the Verizon store, they open in 10 minutes and I'll bet they'll be more than happy to have me as their first customer..

OP
H

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
Yep, my Bionic has a rare form of some android disease or something. It wasn't responding to any of Verizon's behind-the-counter methods. Came out and told me either I gotta root it and try to fix it myself, or upgrade.

So how much has rooting changed in the past 3 years, since Froyo? And who thinks they can point me in the right direction for a *FULL* rom, one that includes com.android.phone and com.motorola.process.system?

jkensing

Reaction score
My bionic just started acting up. My screen goes black and all apps & icons become unresponsive although I can flip through my home screen and apps. If I try to pick an app it highlights the app but it won't open. The phone either reboots on it's own or I have to pull the battery to reset it. I did a total wipe the phone and I'm still having the same problem. I would say that it freezes anywhere from 3 - 8 times a day depending on how much I'm on it. This happens with no particular app it seems like it's a problem in the OS. Why it just started who knows. I called verizon and they have me deleting apps and testing if one of my apps that I re-downloaded. My phone is almost stock with a few apps I downloaded and so far I can't identify that a program is the culprit. The black screen and crashing OS sounds like they could be related in one way or another. If I get an answer on this I'll post here.

OP
H

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
Unfortunately that seems like a totally different issue altogether, but might be solvable with the same solution.

My issue renders the phone nearly useless, except as a clock. It says there's no service or anything like that, and it's tricky to unlock the screen because I'm not joking when I say that the error pops up within a half a second after you just closed the last one. After about 30 minutes the phone "shuts off" but not entirely, it's like the screen isn't responding. The screen turns off, and it won't respond to anything except for a battery pull, but that little green notification light that you get when you restart an android phone, that won't go away until you pull down the notification bar? That's still blinking. It's weird.

Anywho, my solution is for those of you who ever might have this error, which seems 1 of a kind. I'm going to root and FXZ back to an earlier version and then update back to 4.1.2, and hope that I don't brick it somehow, and that it'll repair the software that's faulty. My only problem is that I remember when all the leaks were coming out, if you wanted to get the latest leak you had to go back to a certain version but I'm not sure what that version was. It could be 5.9.902, or 5.9.905, or 6.7.246, that's my problem, I don't know which one to safely go back to. My other problem is that the only charger I have is a Motorola SmartCharger, which does not support USB computer charging, so plugging it into the computer does literally nothing with that cable. I'm in college now and a student in the room next to me has one, hopefully I can borrow it for a little while tonight. I have the rooting software ready, all it needs is the cable and a press of a button and it'll start, I have all 3 of the versions I mentioned before downloaded, I'm ready to go, just need that cable.

Speaking of college..
Yesterday was Friday, and we're all freshmen here right now and yesterday was our first Friday. I swear, I think there was a party on my floor or something. Anywho, I've brought a few projects to work on while I'm here since I'm going into Computer Science, which includes my dad's old laptop, my Droid Bionic (I'm using my dad's old G'z One Commando for right now), and my old MotoDroid 1, try to fix them up if I can. I got bored, so I decided to take apart my old D1, see if I could fix the broken digitizer or something, but the screws on the slide-out keyboard that hold the LCD in place are too tight and too small so I couldn't get to that. I put it back together, and except for 2 little pieces that fell out by themselves (when I'm pretty sure at one point they were securely in there, they were rattling around for a while when I was still using it), putting the phone back together was rather easy and it still powers on, even though I took apart every single thing that I could, disconnecting the ribbon cables and what not, it still powers on. Still has a broken screen, but whatever. Then I got bored again.. So I did the same to the Bionic. This time I was able to get to the screen, and then put it back together again, and it still powers on but still has the software issue. I wish I knew where the antenna was, see if there was something wrong with that.

Anywho, main question:
FXZ'ing back to a previous version from 4.1.2. Which one do I go back to?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Unfortunately that seems like a totally different issue altogether, but might be solvable with the same solution.

My issue renders the phone nearly useless, except as a clock. It says there's no service or anything like that, and it's tricky to unlock the screen because I'm not joking when I say that the error pops up within a half a second after you just closed the last one. After about 30 minutes the phone "shuts off" but not entirely, it's like the screen isn't responding. The screen turns off, and it won't respond to anything except for a battery pull, but that little green notification light that you get when you restart an android phone, that won't go away until you pull down the notification bar? That's still blinking. It's weird.

Anywho, my solution is for those of you who ever might have this error, which seems 1 of a kind. I'm going to root and FXZ back to an earlier version and then update back to 4.1.2, and hope that I don't brick it somehow, and that it'll repair the software that's faulty. My only problem is that I remember when all the leaks were coming out, if you wanted to get the latest leak you had to go back to a certain version but I'm not sure what that version was. It could be 5.9.902, or 5.9.905, or 6.7.246, that's my problem, I don't know which one to safely go back to. My other problem is that the only charger I have is a Motorola SmartCharger, which does not support USB computer charging, so plugging it into the computer does literally nothing with that cable. I'm in college now and a student in the room next to me has one, hopefully I can borrow it for a little while tonight. I have the rooting software ready, all it needs is the cable and a press of a button and it'll start, I have all 3 of the versions I mentioned before downloaded, I'm ready to go, just need that cable.

Speaking of college..
Yesterday was Friday, and we're all freshmen here right now and yesterday was our first Friday. I swear, I think there was a party on my floor or something. Anywho, I've brought a few projects to work on while I'm here since I'm going into Computer Science, which includes my dad's old laptop, my Droid Bionic (I'm using my dad's old G'z One Commando for right now), and my old MotoDroid 1, try to fix them up if I can. I got bored, so I decided to take apart my old D1, see if I could fix the broken digitizer or something, but the screws on the slide-out keyboard that hold the LCD in place are too tight and too small so I couldn't get to that. I put it back together, and except for 2 little pieces that fell out by themselves (when I'm pretty sure at one point they were securely in there, they were rattling around for a while when I was still using it), putting the phone back together was rather easy and it still powers on, even though I took apart every single thing that I could, disconnecting the ribbon cables and what not, it still powers on. Still has a broken screen, but whatever. Then I got bored again.. So I did the same to the Bionic. This time I was able to get to the screen, and then put it back together again, and it still powers on but still has the software issue. I wish I knew where the antenna was, see if there was something wrong with that.

Anywho, main question:
FXZ'ing back to a previous version from 4.1.2. Which one do I go back to?

maybe i missed something, but i don't understand why you need to go backward, unless you are still on a leak now that wont go forward without going backward first.
if you use the wrong file trying to go backward, its going to boot loop. some versions, there is no version going backward that wont boot loop.
i would just use this if you are on the current ota SamuriHL's House Of Bionic - DroidRzr.com

OP
H

hAHAha_Halo

Reaction score
I'm not on a leak, it's on the stock software. What I'd like to know is what version do I flash? Are you saying that I can just reflash .22 without bricking it?

Plus, you have to keep in mind it has to delete everything as far as my apps and data. The factory reset, both in the system settings and in the bootloader, do not work. Every time I use it, I turn it back on and everything is still there. What I need is to root and pretty much flash whatever software that will replace/repair the current software.

So if I don't need to go back to .246 or earlier, do I download just plain old 98.72.22? Or is there a certain one I have to download of .22 that includes all of that?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I'm not on a leak, it's on the stock software. What I'd like to know is what version do I flash? Are you saying that I can just reflash .22 without bricking it?

Plus, you have to keep in mind it has to delete everything as far as my apps and data. The factory reset, both in the system settings and in the bootloader, do not work. Every time I use it, I turn it back on and everything is still there. What I need is to root and pretty much flash whatever software that will replace/repair the current software.

So if I don't need to go back to .246 or earlier, do I download just plain old 98.72.22? Or is there a certain one I have to download of .22 that includes all of that?

yea, reflash .22, i have done it many times.
the script will delete your data. there are a couple options in the script, more precisely here SamuriHL's House of Bionic - SamuriHL's House Of Bionic - DroidRzr.com
DO NOT USE THE RSD OPTION, don't even bother downloading the rsd add on as it will say in the script directions, it is not needed.
yes download 98.72.22 from the second post in that thread, there is only 1 version of it.
you will have to put 22 in the script directory, read through the first post for instruction on where and how to place it, its easy, just a lot of reading first.