Bionic JB problems

jkeithv

Reaction score
So my Bionic has worked well for about 6 months of the 18 months I've owned it. Didn't work well for a while after I got it until upgrades got it going smoothly. Then ICS bogged it down. Now with JB it's still slow, plus more glitches. Ridiculous. Anyway, here are a few annoying problems:

1. If I want to attach a pic to a message, it asks what action to use. I pic one, and choose "Always". The only thing it always does is keeps asking every time what to do again. Why is it not remembering to Always use the action I picked?

2. During texting, it randomly capitalizes words in the middle of a sentence. I changed settings back and forth, etc. Never used to do this.

3. Also during texting, when in landscape mode, it will occasionally make the keyboard huge, taking up most of the screen, then will go back to normal at the end of a sentence.

4. Google search takes 30-45 sec to get a result. Every time. Used to be 1-2 sec.

5. Seems to regularly lose data connection through the day. Used to be pretty solid.

6. As slow or slower to respond to selections as with ICS.

Just a lot of random, weird, annoying things. I did a FDR with ICS which only helped for a short while before things bogged down again. I've done a cache wipe numerous times with little to no difference. Don't feel I should have to do that stuff just to make the phone operate as it should anyway. Is there any hope? NOT getting a Motorola again. May try Galaxy 4. Or the next iPhone. I've had 3 Droid phones, and they've just gotten worse with every new "upgrade". Thanks for any help.

OP
J

jkeithv

Reaction score
No tips to help with any of these problems? LOL, I thought this was the Tech Support forum!

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
My Bionic was fairly pleasant to use with ICS. I upgraded to JB and it became a nightmare. Very sluggish and laggy. I have since rooted and installed the liquidsmooth rom, and its, well, liquidsmooth.

OP
J

jkeithv

Reaction score
I'm obviously not a tech geek, and hate spending much time to get things to work right that I feel should work correctly in the first place! I've been afraid to root in fear of other issues I'd have to deal with, but since I hate using my phone as it is and am about ready to give up and buy a new one, maybe I'll try your idea. Thanks.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
I'm obviously not a tech geek, and hate spending much time to get things to work right that I feel should work correctly in the first place! I've been afraid to root in fear of other issues I'd have to deal with, but since I hate using my phone as it is and am about ready to give up and buy a new one, maybe I'll try your idea. Thanks.

When I hear "update" I guess I foolishly assume it's going to make my phone better, not worse. I went from stock ICS, which ran pretty smoothly, no major issues, to updating to JB and found out pretty quickly that was a huge mistake.

I did everything everyone said to try: factory reset, clear cache, clear dalvick, install, wait, reboot. Nothing helped. It was so bad that once I upgraded my son to a new phone I ditched my bionic with JB for his with ICS.

I've had some experience rooting and running roms but by no means am I up to date on all this stuff. I had zero experience using ubuntu (which is I believe the only way to root stock ics). There is a very straight forward video on YouTube how to do this. If you can follow directions it's very easy. I downloaded ubuntu, installed on a usb thumb drive, booted computer off that, and within 10min I was rooted. Installed safestrap, which I'd never uses before, tried a few different roms, but liquidsmooth by far was the best.

I'm due for an upgrade on my phone now, but holding out for a while to see if possibly the new iPhone will come out with a larger screen. Doubtful, at which point I'll probably get the Galaxy s4.

Good luck.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
For me, I'm seeing alerts that the Android Mediaserver is consuming most of the CPU and the battery.

OP
J

jkeithv

Reaction score
So I went through my apps, deleted a few I never use, force stopped most of them and cleared their individual caches (including Google search), then shut down my phone and pulled the battery for 5 min. Then I went into recovery and wiped the cache. And wham, it is now running much smoother and faster :) I've just wiped the cache several times before with no effect. So either pulling the battery and/or stopping a bunch of the apps and individually clearing their caches made the difference. Even Google search is back to normal response time. Yeah!