Bionic issue that might cause a drastic measure of reverting back to OG droid

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have had the issue a few times, but assumed it as app related. Since I have uninstalled Weatherbug and golauncher I haven't had the problem since.

I just read another thread somewhere and the issue seems to be using the Go Launcher widgets.

tzarecta

Reaction score
@big Tex ...I agree ..(holds the bionic in the air) I'm never letting go..best choice I ever made

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
sorry this bsod is not the term for pc.. this time is Black Screen of Death.. where the phone is unresponsive no matter what you do until you pull the battery. Sometime you will see green light blinking like you have a message, yet the phone are still in lock mode even though you press the power button.

So that's what it is. It's happened a couple of times and "In-Pocket detection" is turned off and no Go Launcher. I do have Weatherbug though.

Scribble

Reaction score
This happened with the Original Droid when I first got it. After a while it just stopped- not sure if it was something in an update or what tht fixed it, but it's not a phenomenon native to the Bionic. I'm guessing they will fix it like they fixed the Original Droid.

I think with Smartphones these days, you really need to expect (and not get overly angry about) problems until after the fist update or two. :p

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Over two months since the previous post, and this is still an issue. It may be related to an app that's installed, although my fiance doesn't have Go Launcher, Pandora or Weatherbug running on hers. She also had 'In-Pocket Detection' turned off, and she still encountered a black screen when trying to get her phone to wake up. Even when I tried calling and texting her phone, the screen wouldn't turn on. The notification light indicated that she had a missed call, text message or voicemail, but a battery pull was the only way to get her screen to turn on.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, here we go....

On page 53 of the Bionic Manual:

Crash recovery
In the unlikely event that your smartphone stops
responding to touches and key presses, try a quick
reset. Remove the back cover and battery (“Assemble &
charge” on page 3), then replace and switch your
smartphone on as usual.

Evidently the BSoD can happen throughout the life of the Bionic if they decided to put it in the manual. Perhaps as updates come (either to the OS or an app that's causing the problem) there'll be less, but it's expected.

And before you ask; on page 55 of the Razr manual it says to hold the Power and Volume Down for 10 seconds in case it happens.

lm2

Reaction score
Your OG Droid does not qualify for the promotion.
The $100GC promotion is ONLY for people switching from a non-smartphone.

Can some one give more details on this non smartphone trade in deal? This is the first I'm hearing about it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can go to your account online and switch back to your other phone yourself. No need for them to ever touch your phone. It will just prompt you for the phone's MEID. I switch between phones like that all the time.

IIRC, it does not work this way going between a 4G device and a 3G device. I am pretty sure that in those cases, it requires a phone call at minimum.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Ok, here we go....

On page 53 of the Bionic Manual:

Crash recovery
In the unlikely event that your smartphone stops
responding to touches and key presses, try a quick
reset. Remove the back cover and battery (“Assemble &
charge” on page 3), then replace and switch your
smartphone on as usual.

Evidently the BSoD can happen throughout the life of the Bionic if they decided to put it in the manual. Perhaps as updates come (either to the OS or an app that's causing the problem) there'll be less, but it's expected.

And before you ask; on page 55 of the Razr manual it says to hold the Power and Volume Down for 10 seconds in case it happens.

There's no way that this can be a legitimate excuse for why this is happening. :blink: The backlash Motorola would face from their customers would be something that I would think they wouldn't want to deal with. However, there is a note at the bottom of page 4 in the Bionic Manual that indicates the screen "might stay dark if the sensor just above it is covered." I'm wondering if the screen protector might be the culprit.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I'm sorry if you already mentioned this, but if you haven't done an exchange you might want to try that.

It's definitely been considered, although we purchased the phone from a Verizon store three weeks ago. I thought you couldn't return a device after 14 days; or does that not apply to exchanges?