Bionic is over talked about

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
The internet is a huge hype machine. Anything that gets people excited ends up a hype beast online. Movies, TV shows, video games, and electronics all are hype beasts.

Even though I am not that interested in the Bionic myself, I don't feel as though this phone is too over talked about. On paper this phone is a beast. As soon as the Bionic drops, the next device in line will be start to get hyped up (SGS2, Dinara, new Nexus, iPhone5 or whatever else gets people behind it).

anuraj1

Reaction score
The only phone you can look at to get an idea of bionics performance is the d3. The atrix is an unfair comparison, because its an entirely different chipset. Bionic and d3 are both TI OMAP4. I'm not sure if bionic is 4430 or 4460 though.

The ui on the d3 isn't bad at all. Its actually very close to a vanilla android, much more so than previous blurs. The only reason I'm not using the stock ui is lack of customization.

But yea, I think people are expecting too much from the bionic.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

I guess that's somewhat true. But it's hard for me not to focus on what's pretty much the Bionic's older twin. It has too many similarities for me to ignore.

The Atrix and the old Bionic (The Etna model which was scrapped) were very similar. There is simply nothing that comes close to what the Bionic's theoretical specs are. The closest runner up would be the D3, which is a beautiful phone but with half the RAM and no 4g. If the Bionic has a 4460 processor, then even that comparison would be completely unfair as the Bionic would then be the best Android phone on the market.

TyrantII

Reaction score
D3 is a bit behind the Bionic's theoretical specs. 4G LTE is a huge increase in speed.

Dual core CPU and 1gig memory is actually very important for future usage. Larger screen is obviously a bonus, although some people don't feel it's necessary, it's still important to have a larger screen available.

I think the things you'd like most is it has an amazing spell checker and automatic paragraph creator.

I'd disagree on a phone. I have a HDTV and tablet for my media needs, and don't really need a large screen making a mobile phone bigger. I agree with the OP, and even the D3 is pushing it size wise. This is one area apple is very smart about, keeping their phone a phone and not a tablet. Plus the Bionics screen, while bigger, will be close to the same resolution as the D3. That means pixels, blur, and all the other things associated with it with this qHD tech that people hate.

4G, meh, until they really get behind the tech/infrastructure upgrades. Even if I had it, it probably spend most of it's time disabled for want of a phone that only needs charging every day. It would be great for tethering and web surfing, but again you need to be luckily enough to be in a place that has it, and on a tower not overloaded with others using it.

Word is 512 of that 1Gb of RAM is also reserved for their remote PC features. It's no good if it isn't shared with the OS when not in use.

Last edited:

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
To me there is no comparison in Tegra vs OMAP. OMAP dominates hands down. I had the X2 for a couple weeks and I can tell you this D3 crushes it. So.....let's hope the Bionic sticks with OMAP.

Detonation

Reaction score
Overhyped a bit, yes. But for the many people that got an Droid 1 at launch, upgraded to a DX after their annual upgrade, and now have another upgrade coming, this is the next worthy device. I haven't felt that any of the current LTE phones have been worth using an upgrade for compared to my DX.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
due for an upgrade and waiting for the Bionic to release. I'm definitely going to check it out before deciding to upgrade.

Don't need 4g, but hey if it's available for the same price as 3g, why not?

The only thing is, the 3G phones costs much less than the 4G ones.

anuraj1

Reaction score
due for an upgrade and waiting for the Bionic to release. I'm definitely going to check it out before deciding to upgrade.

A hundred dollars more at the most? Not bad in the big scheme of things, I pay them nearly 1500 a year, and I think that taking advantage of the newest technology is what all of us that look at these forums obsessively want dancedroid

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score

A hundred dollars more at the most? Not bad in the big scheme of things, I pay them nearly 1500 a year, and I think that taking advantage of the newest technology is what all of us that look at these forums obsessively want dancedroid

Well if I had to guess how the Bionic will cost...

D3- 199
Bionic- 299

D3- 470
Bionic- 650

So for a similar phone, its pretty much if you want 4G, you have to pay a bit more.

Droidram56

Reaction score
Good observations. The delayed release and fuzzy release date have stoked many people's anticipation, especially those who are eligible to upgrade but choose to wait for a dual core LTE phone to consider alongside the existing Verizon LTE phones. All the rumors and small snippets of information over the Internet just make the anticipation grow even more.

Josefius

Reaction score
I think the things you'd like most is it has an amazing spell checker and automatic paragraph creator.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing, holy great wall of text Batman.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

gotta pay to play my friend :)

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I can see why it's hyped so much. Really the only 4g phone worth buying. I think if you don't have 4g in your area then there are other phones worth buying. So, I think the Bionic will be a good phone to get. If you want 4g, it's the only phone to get; but I do think overall it's overhyped.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

kparks

Reaction score
I went to the Verizon store the other day to test the 4G speeds. I installed Speedtest on my Droid, and it was already installed on the phones there and I ran a test. On my Droid (@Store), I got about 1.86Mbps D/L, and .85 U/L. I tested the Thunderbolt, and it got about 20Mbps D/L, and something like 5Mbps U/L. That's around 10x faster download speeds, and 5x faster upload speeds. Even if it's choked up a bit by everyone getting a new 4G LTE phone, it'll still be a bit better than my 3G speeds. But I'm not worried about it getting choked up, because the further we go along, the more 4G towers Verizon is going to put up, and the better the service.

That being said, I have to agree that the Bionic is a bit over hyped. The specs are very comparable to it's sister, the Moto Atrix, which came out in February. Looking at everything individually, you might not these things to be impressive. But if you look at that market, you won't find too many phones sporting all of these features. So, it's a little dated, but as mentioned above, it combines everything into one package, and that's probably where most of the hype comes from.

I typically get about 26 or 27 down and 6 or 7 up on my Tbolt when I do the speed test... I live in the district and Maryland.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I went to the Verizon store the other day to test the 4G speeds. I installed Speedtest on my Droid, and it was already installed on the phones there and I ran a test. On my Droid (@Store), I got about 1.86Mbps D/L, and .85 U/L. I tested the Thunderbolt, and it got about 20Mbps D/L, and something like 5Mbps U/L. That's around 10x faster download speeds, and 5x faster upload speeds. Even if it's choked up a bit by everyone getting a new 4G LTE phone, it'll still be a bit better than my 3G speeds. But I'm not worried about it getting choked up, because the further we go along, the more 4G towers Verizon is going to put up, and the better the service.

That being said, I have to agree that the Bionic is a bit over hyped. The specs are very comparable to it's sister, the Moto Atrix, which came out in February. Looking at everything individually, you might not these things to be impressive. But if you look at that market, you won't find too many phones sporting all of these features. So, it's a little dated, but as mentioned above, it combines everything into one package, and that's probably where most of the hype comes from.

I typically get about 26 or 27 down and 6 or 7 up on my Tbolt when I do the speed test... I live in the district and Maryland.

My future with the Bionic is looking good if you get those kinds of speeds around here dancedroid

Stories

Reaction score

Sweet looking forward to those speeds soon

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App