Bionic: Hard Bricked?

zvsmedia

Reaction score
I rooted my Bionic and really didn't do anything of note after that to mod it. I was using it this morning and it was working fine. How, I clicked on an app on the home screen and things went wonky. The sort of halo around the app stayed bright for a while (freeze?), then phone just died. It will not power on. I've tried the hard reset procedures. I've also tried the RSDLite route, but no computer I have will even register it as a device.

It seems like this could be hardware failure, but I thought I'd check in here first before taking it back to Verizon. It has done the random shut-down and random reboot thing a few times in the past (which doesn't seem uncommon from what I read).

Any thoughts appreciated!

OP
Z

zvsmedia

Reaction score
I started down that route but I've been unable to get any sign of life from it at all, so I can't get to fastboot mode.

The day I bought it knew it'd go back eventually for another one under warranty. Didn't think it would be this soon. :frown:

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you remember where your battery percentage was? If it was low, it might be just the battery and Verizon may be able to charge it for you. If it was the battery, you will still have to do that fast boot restore method or if it wasn't, new phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's really weird... very much sounds like a hardware failure - was your battery even low when it happened?

OP
Z

zvsmedia

Reaction score
I don't think the battery was low. IIRC I had just unplugged it from the charger. I tried charging it for several hours with no luck, but the phone did get warm. Not the battery in particular though...

Looks like I have a trip to Verizon in my future.

Thanks for the help!

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think the battery was low. IIRC I had just unplugged it from the charger. I tried charging it for several hours with no luck, but the phone did get warm. Not the battery in particular though...

Thanks for the help!

Well that sucks, let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Thanks for the help!

I've read a number of battery failures with the Bionic. You might try a different battery first. If you don't know someone with a Bionic then normally the folks at Verizon will let you slip one in from one of their phones (well that's true if you are as good looking as I am, otherwise. . . . .). :biggrin:

OP
Z

zvsmedia

Reaction score
I went to the Verizon store this afternoon. They didn't have a different battery to try (???) but were quick to sign off on shipping a replacement Bionic to me. It'll take 5 days though. I'll be in serious Droid withdrawal by then!

Thanks to all!

Insidious

Reaction score
I know how you feel. I've hard bricked my D2 like twice and going a week without my precious smartphone is torture.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
Z

zvsmedia

Reaction score
I know how you feel. I've hard bricked my D2 like twice and going a week without my precious smartphone is torture.

It turns out I didn't have to wait a week, but...
The phone they sent yesterday had constant reboot issues.

The phone they sent today seems fine, but...
For some reason they "retired" my SIM card and didn't send a new one.

I'm supposed to get a replacement SIM tomorrow. Oh wait, that is 5 days. :(

jack902902

Reaction score
Sim card??

Doesn't it need to be global or GSM capable to use that?

Sent from my DROIDX