Bionic had root, received OTS ICS, lost root, trying razrs edge, no go :-(

erich93063

Reaction score
OK so my Bionic was successfully rooted for as long as I've had it. I did not bother with a custom ROM, it was just rooted. I received the OTA ICS update notice and was so excited, of course I just hit "HELL YES UPDATE ME!" without thinking CRAP I'm gonna lose root, which of course I did. So I did research and from what I've gathered there is "Razr's Edge" which should reroot me, but whenever I try it (and I've tried multiple downloaded versions), it gets stuck at "Daemon successfully started" or something like that. I went to Motorola and downloaded/installed the latest USB drivers and I am in debugging mode. I've rebooted my laptop and my phone several times, but no matter what, the process gets stuck and never happens. Here is my phones info:

System Version: 6.7.246.XT875.Verizon.en.US
Android Version: 4.0.4
Build Number: 6.7.2-223_DBN_M4-23

HELP!?

ToysRUs

Reaction score
Exactly the same specs and problems here.
Root checker, SU, Busybox, Titanium all have no root access.
re-updated device mgr
Tried to reroot with Petes, no go and then motofail and no go!

In my own defense I hit the update button a week ago at about 5am when my phone beeped at me and said it had an update.

OP
E

erich93063

Reaction score
Well I'm pretty sure Pete's and Motofail are only for Gingerbread. I could be wrong though. That's why I was using Razr's Edge. If you haven't tried Razr's Edge, try that. I musthave something else going on though, or maybe the official Verizon OTA update can't be rooted yet? I would find that hard to believe, but who knows. I guess that's why I'm here.

ToysRUs

Reaction score
Just fixed it.

you must use razrs_edge found here http://t.co/mbIAmwH8 (Thanks linuxgator)

Then I ran it with debugging on (of course) and in mass storage mode.

Everything seems to be working at this point. Then again "this point" is only about 4 minutes into it!!! LOL

OP
E

erich93063

Reaction score
AW MAN, you got me excited. I downloaded that version. (the 4th version I've tried, by the way), debugging on, in mass storage mode and still it hangs when it gets to "daemon started successfully". I've waited as long as 20 minutes or more and it's just stuck there. arg Also I've tried the process while in "Media device (MTP)" mode also with no luck. This sucks.

deduct

Reaction score
If u are still having problems attaining root even with razr's edge, try a factory data reset. I've seen that work for people in the past when they have exhausted every other possibility.

OP
E

erich93063

Reaction score
Yeah I was actually gonna try that next. So that will mean I will have to start from scratch and reinstall all apps right? Not that that's a big deal. My phone has been kind of slugglish lately anyway, so it couldn't hurt either way. Actually will that revert me back to Gingerbread too if I do a factory reset?

deduct

Reaction score
Yeah, you will lose internal data like apps and text messages. If you want to save your texts before you reset, use SMS backup + or some other backup app like it found in play store. Also, you are using your USB cable that came with your bionic right? And plugged into the back USB port on your computer?

ToysRUs

Reaction score
Crap, besides saying to shut off the computer and the phone then battery pull the phone and start again I have no idea what to do as I am mostly a noob to this stuff. Maybe what deduct says but that sucks. keep trying!!! Good luck!

OP
E

erich93063

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm backing up my files right now and then gonna try the factory reset. deduct, I'm not POSITIVE I'm using my Bionic cable, but it IS an official cable from Motorola/Verizon. It might be from my wife's RAZR if anything but it's not a cheap after market cable. It's got the Verizon tag on it. And I'm using my laptop which I've always used to root all my phones, so I don't really have a "back" USB port. I do have three different ports though and I've tried them all. I'll do the factory reset now and see what happens and then report back. THANKS

deduct

Reaction score
Oh, and no, it will not revert you back to GB if u do a factory reset. Its just resetting your current system to purge it of any bugs or abnormalities that you may be seeing. If its been running slow lately, an FDR is the best thing for you anyway. And hopefully you will be able to attain root after its all said and done.

OP
E

erich93063

Reaction score
SWEEEEEEEEEEET. Factory Data Reset worked! I performed that and then reran Razr's Edge and I have root again. Thanks guys!

deduct

Reaction score
erich93063 said:
SWEEEEEEEEEEET. Factory Data Reset worked! I performed that and then reran Razr's Edge and I have root again. Thanks guys!

Congrats

tayhan

Reaction score
thanks

Just fixed it.

you must use razrs_edge found here http://t.co/mbIAmwH8 (Thanks linuxgator)

Then I ran it with debugging on (of course) and in mass storage mode.

Everything seems to be working at this point. Then again "this point" is only about 4 minutes into it!!! LOL

Thanks for posting this. I performed a FDR on my bionic just for the hell of it and then i rooted using razrs_edge that you posted. i have superuser on my phone so im guessing it rooted. thanks again. dancedroid