Bionic dropping data, even with plenty of signal

brandonsmash

Reaction score
I'm really getting frustrated at this. I've had my Bionic since launch and it's been a great device, but lately it's developed this quirk where it just likes to drop the data connection for no reason. No, this isn't because I'm resuming from a battery saver or anything; it happens while I'm using the phone actively just as often as not.

These screenshots were all taken today during periods of interruption. It's worth noting that:
A) I live in a 4G LTE area (Phoenix metro), but for some reason LTE cuts in and out at my house though there is always 3G, BUT
B) These were during times of use in one nonmobile position (which varied throughout the house), and
C) there was still signal, and
D) the Bionic, despite having signal, just decided to drop data

View attachment 41776View attachment 41777View attachment 41778View attachment 41779View attachment 41780

This has been worst today but has happened before. Any suggestions? I may have to stop by the VZW store anyway tomorrow (my Bionic also picked up an annoying buzzing during phone calls) but I'd like to see if anyone else has thoughts.

I'm fairly upset about this. I waited a long time for the Bionic and sunk a good chunk of change into it on launch day. I have treated it very carefully: it has never been dropped or wet, for instance. I'd hate for this to just be something I have to deal with for the next two years.

Also, I've tried rebooting the phone, installing a fresh battery, turning airplane mode on and off, etc. Nothing has fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help, folks.

OP
B

brandonsmash

Reaction score
I read somewhere that removing/reinstalling the SIM card may correct the problem, since the SIM is linked to the LTE/3G radios.
I just performed that procedure and rebooted the phone.

I have signal but zero data. It's not because it hasn't initialized: It has been several minutes and I still have signal and no data.
...And somehow now ScreenGrabber is reporting a read-only filesystem failure.

Something's f*cked.

Awesome.

EDIT: Pulled/installed the SIM card twice more and data is back, but with precisely the same problems as before (VZW tech support knows nothing of the issue). ScreenGrabber is back after uninstall/reinstall, though it's unclear why removing the SIM card would cause this to happen.

Last edited:
OP
B

brandonsmash

Reaction score
Took the phone to VZW today. Replacement is coming tomorrow for this and other warranty issues.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apparently there is an update coming in November to fix this issue, it is frustrating...

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have the most recent leaked ota and it does fix these issues - at least on my phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
B

brandonsmash

Reaction score
I just spoke to a Verizon rep and he said that the OTA "may" fix the problem. I'd really rather not do the Cheesecake thing if possible, as I'm a wee bit worried about bricking the device and also possibly being pushed out of the future update path.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I wasn't really suggesting that as a solution - rather as a "light at the end of tunnel" kind of thing. There is a solution coming soon.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

SteadySlackin

Reaction score
I had the data drop worse then most, it actually ended up consuming more battery probably due to the fact it was constantly searching for a data connection? Yesterday I had a vzw store install a new sim card. Now it only has issues after a reboot, and when it drops data, a quick on/off toggle on my data widget usually resolves it.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was literally just about to type how finally mine has been acting normal and holding a good, consistent 3G signal while on "CDMA Only", and lo and behold, it's gone... lol. I'm in my office so I'm just testing to see how long this takes... so far I've toggled airplane mode and that's it.

The irony of this, for me anyway, is that my wife and I were with Virgin Mobile for awhile. Both the Android phones we had with them would occasionally do this, and typically the airplane toggle fixed it. Difference is, we were paying $50 for the both of us, rather than $140+ now... :) (though her Inc2 that's only 3G works perfectly... so it's clearly a LTE thing)

OP
B

brandonsmash

Reaction score
It actually seems like the problem is getting worse. It's now happening 20-30 times per day on a BRAND-NEW phone!

OP
B

brandonsmash

Reaction score
This is still a problem.

The OTA update was promised by Verizon folks in early November. That came and went and when I called to complain, they said mid-November. That came and went, and now they're saying "maybe late November."

I'm on my THIRD Bionic and still getting data drops and the same problems. This phone was not well-vetted before release despite having been delayed for eight months!

This is ridiculous.