Bionic Data Throttle Hack

cthebadge38

Reaction score
I'm sure it has already been done but I wasn't able to find it posted on any forums. So...i'm going to post how to remove the bandwidth throttle on the bionic. I hit 6gb's last month and my download speeds went from almost 200kbs to around 3kbs. First time I've had it happen since I got the bionic but regardless it's annoying. After removing the throttle it instantly jumped right back up. Here goes:

1. download 'root file explorer'
2.locate the folder 'data' then inside, the 'system' folder
3.Inside the system folder, locate the 'throttle' folder
4.Long press the 'throttle' folder and hit permissions
5.Make sure 'read' and 'execute' boxes are checked in the 'owner' row
6.Once your done, click inside the 'throttle' folder and delete both files labeled 'temp' and '1226839461'
7.Reboot and enjoy your throttle free bionic

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

krameroid

Reaction score
Nice work. Haven't been throttled down yet but will keep this in mind since I come close to 6gb every month.

moosc

Reaction score
No throttling here I'm at just a tad over 2weeks into account
a6f96338-a41a-bb5f.jpg
a6f96338-a42a-9b2d.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
cthebadge38

cthebadge38

Reaction score
No, actually I was using PDA net and a torrent downloader to download a file. The torrent downloader gives your speed. I was averaging around 200kbs and almost as soon as I hit 6gb it dropped to 3kbs. Took me a week to get sick of it and finally fix it. I don't have 4g in my area yet. I hear they are not throttling 4g but I don't know if that's true. Where I live I can't even get internet because i'm way out in the sticks. So, unfortunately i'm stuck using 3g for now.

OP
cthebadge38

cthebadge38

Reaction score
Using the speed net test i'm 1557 down 897 up. Probably should have clarified that first off. Lol

xXJakeXx

Reaction score
I'm sure it has already been done but I wasn't able to find it posted on any forums. So...i'm going to post how to remove the bandwidth throttle on the bionic. I hit 6gb's last month and my download speeds went from almost 200kbs to around 3kbs. First time I've had it happen since I got the bionic but regardless it's annoying. After removing the throttle it instantly jumped right back up. Here goes:

1. download 'root file explorer'
2.locate the folder 'data' then inside, the 'system' folder
3.Inside the system folder, locate the 'throttle' folder
4.Long press the 'throttle' folder and hit permissions
5.Make sure 'read' and 'execute' boxes are checked in the 'owner' row
6.Once your done, click inside the 'throttle' folder and delete both files labeled 'temp' and '1226839461'
7.Reboot and enjoy your throttle free bionic

Quick question, the numbered file that you say to delete, is the numbers different with each phone? Because mine are not the same. Thanks for the imput!

ex0rcist

Reaction score
Quick question, the numbered file that you say to delete, is the numbers different with each phone? Because mine are not the same. Thanks for the imput!

So i looked in data.. system.. empty... ive gone over 5gb many a month... whats the complete directory?

OP
cthebadge38

cthebadge38

Reaction score
I did this for a friends bionic as well and the numbered directory was the same. To the first question about the numbered file not being the same, do you notice your data being throttled? If you do, copy the numbered file and temp file to your SD card and delete them in the directory. If anything goes wrong you can always bring them back over from your SD card. To the second question, the complete directory is /data/system/throttle/. Make sure you do them in that order, not /data/data/system. That's where I kept getting lost as there will be no throttle folder in the second system directory.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
I did this for a friends bionic as well and the numbered directory was the same. To the first question about the numbered file not being the same, do you notice your data being throttled? If you do, copy the numbered file and temp file to your SD card and delete them in the directory. If anything goes wrong you can always bring them back over from your SD card. To the second question, the complete directory is /data/system/throttle/. Make sure you do them in that order, not /data/data/system. That's where I kept getting lost as there will be no throttle folder in the second system directory.

astro sayz /data is empty... so im guessing.....im good :)

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
astro sayz /data is empty... so im guessing.....im good :)

Astro only really works on the sd card, if /data was empty you wouldn't be able to use tapa talk to post ; )
Use root explorer as mentioned in the OP

donnelly326

Reaction score
I dont understand... how are you people getting throttled i have UNLIMITED 4g data with my bionic, and I broke down and bought the UNLIMITED mobile hotspot service from VZW for $30/month and use it as my only internet connection for my 2 laptops xbox 360 ps3 and wii. I use on average 50-80 Gb/ month
dancingDroid.gif
and have never seen slowed speeds, what are you guys doing that VZW is throttling you?

OP
cthebadge38

cthebadge38

Reaction score
I believe the key word there is "4G". I've read in several posts that verizon is not throttling 4G at this time. If that's true, then that's probably the reason your not being throttled. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck in 3g land.

Reaction score
Uhh... Why not grab SQLite and go to the first SettingStorage and you will find about 5 "Throttle" lines under "Settings.db/Secure". And just edit all of their fields to "0" and then reboot? Boom. You are unthrottled.