Bionic Camera

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by indee2025, Nov 6, 2011.

1. indee2025

indee2025 Member

95% completely satisfied and then some with my rooted Droid Bionic....the lacking 5% is in the camera quality....

Has anyone found a good camera app? Some of the ones I had heard in the past for other Droid models doesn't seem a good fit for the Bionic...

Of all the issues I hear people complain about I'm stoked only the camera is poor on my device but poor is an understatement, this camera is nearly useless, sometimes pictures are saved as thumbnails, a very touchy flash, sometimes takes dark or light pictures without showing so on the display prior to pic being taken, so many blue grains, my Droid X took better photos than this, I know the hardware is good so I'm thinking an app is the answer, any thoughts?
  2. marleyinoc

marleyinoc Member

Retro camera and Camera360 have free versions (on amazon app store, at least) and I hear good things about retro.

I use cam360 paid and like it. It's got some settings etc that might annoy you and i notice the screen will go black on occassion but i havent messed with settings that much so maybe there is workaround. Or fix for bionic on way...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  3. Speeding Wheels

Speeding Wheels New Member

I wasnt upset with the camera quality before flashing the 5.7.893 leak but now I'm even happier with it.
    Just wait for the update unless you're comfortable with updating.
  4. Graymayre

Graymayre New Member

I would like to unroot for the update. I've done my mods and don't need root anymore anyway, but the one click method didn't have a reverse.

The answer is 42.
    Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
    Well, I can't answer that.
  5. indee2025

indee2025 Member

I think both of those are just user interface apps to change how the button layouts are rather than actually telling the hardware do this differently or add or subtract whitening etc...if someone is experienced with either of those apps and know please correct me if I'm mistaken as it's not about the layout but the end product of pictures is poor- I feel like the camera almost has something wrong with it but it looks the same as my experience with the droid 3 camera which too was producing poor quality photos...
  6. GoBears

GoBears New Member

Have you guys tried the MIUI camera mod? I really like it and its free. Let me see if I can find a link.
  7. GoBears

GoBears New Member

8. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Camera Zoom FX is pretty good as well.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  9. Abadus

Abadus New Member

The updated Camera seems pretty good to me. I was taking pictures with it next to my wife's non rooted Bionic and mine was much faster.
  10. GoBears

GoBears New Member

The MIUI camera also has a tap to focus and its fast. Try it, I know you'll like it. Even though its still called camera it has a different icon so you can keep both and tell the difference. Been using it since I got the Bionic and its great.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  11. indee2025

indee2025 Member

Sounds good but when you read farther into it, he says you lose the front facing camera function & that is a deal killer for me...
  12. jrudq

jrudq New Member

I have to agree. I think the camera quality is appalling and am very unhappy with the pictures I have taken. It kind of boggles my mind that an 8mg camera can take such lousy pictures...
  13. GoBears

GoBears New Member

All the other apps can still access the ffc. Its just not available in the MIUI app. So unless you take a lot of pics with the ffc you won't even know. When I want the ffc I just use the stock app.

14. indee2025

indee2025 Member

Well I use yahoo messenger & voice calls which utilizes the ffc...switching isn't really the answer in my case I think, i checked out retro & camera 360 those just basically change the interface no real improvement, maybe paper camera but they want $2 for it & i'm not sure if it takes normal pics or just funky effects only...
  15. GoBears

GoBears New Member

Like I said, if you're rooted try it. Its free and easy and you just might like it. Nothing to lose by trying. It doesn't replace the stock app, you have two different icons both named camera.

16. Gudasau

Gudasau Member

I have a few different apps loaded on mine. My favorite is HDR (paid version), but it's not a quick point & shoot app. It does take phenomenal pictures though. I'm not using any apps for editing or taking "different" types of pictures, just wanted apps to help the camera take quicker and better pictures. I will say though, the longer I play and learn the stock camera, the better the pictures are becoming.

Vignette & 360 are also a couple that seem to take quick and good pix too IMO

There's a thread already going on here that I found very helpful.

camera-app-recommendations
  17. 916A2

916A2 New Member

Don't let that be a concern, you could always use Desktop Visualizer and change the name, even the icon of it if you wanted to ;)
  18. mikespe

mikespe New Member

It's been said many times before but the megapixels has nothing to do with the quality...it's the lens quality. The iPhone 4 (not 4s) takes MUCH better pictures than the stock Bionic does & it only has I believe a 5 megapixel camera...but it has a much better lens installed...
  19. 916A2

916A2 New Member

Don't want to get technical, but it's not the quality of the lens that determines the quality of the pic, it's the quality of the sensor.
  20. indee2025

indee2025 Member

Yes! This could not be anymore true, it could be 12mp camera on board but if they don't make the sensor larger it really doesn't mean much.

In a smartphone most manufacturers have been packing in megapixels into the same size sensor; imagine this...

-Eating a pie that's 12 inches in diameter cut into 5 pieces (5MP) or eating the same size pie that's cut into 8 pieces (8MP) there really isn't a growth in pie because you cut it into more pieces so while it sounds like you're getting more pie at 8 pieces in truth it's the same old 5 piece pie just cut differently & until they increase the sensor you won't get more pie....

But in reality I don't think the bionics camera is limited to the extent the software is making it out to be, no reason the DX camera should look better than my bionic......but it does-I blame software & I ask you all for a suggestion to a good replacement in the form of an app.
Search tags for this page
camera timer on android bionic
does the droid bionic have a camera timer

where is the timer for my droid bionic camera