Bionic camera update?

bionic210

Reaction score
This is targeted more towards ppl that gave had the og droid since release. I herd the camera really sucked on the og droid when that was first was released but then got much better after some updates, software, firmware, whatever, seeing as how everyone knows the bionic camera dsnt seem to be quite on par with 8mp phone cameras these days, should we be expecting an update to fix that in the future?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Sanitarium09

Reaction score
Probably not. Motorola's never been good with cameras. Personally, I'm quite satisfied with the camera and the video recording.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I don't think the OG got an update in quality as much as it got an update in speed.

It used to be REALLY slow starting up.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Megapixels don't mean anything when it comes to quality and you probably heard that from the people who don't know how to take pictures on the bionic.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mamawm

Reaction score
i love this camera, while there is a bit of lag between touching the shutter button and it going off, all pics i've taken so far have been perfectly clear. i changed it to 8mp from 6 and took a bunch of pictures at my grandson's birthday party last weekend. children were between 4 and 8 and party was at chucky cheese so none of the kids were still. all pics taken were of kkids in motion and i didn't even wait for autofocus to register. from what i got, you would have thought i took them with a dslr with image stabilization. i hope they don't update the camera, i'm afraid it will screw something up that i'm enjoying.

Stories

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed is that the camera still sucks in low-light situations, just like the original Droid.

mamawm

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed is that the camera still sucks in low-light situations, just like the original Droid.
yeah i took a few pics that were less than great, and then i went into the camera settings and unchecked auto flash and set it to manual (flash every time) and it made a world of difference. all the pics after that were great.

jseah

Reaction score
I don't think the OG got an update in quality as much as it got an update in speed.

It used to be REALLY slow starting up.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

I had the OG Droid since release day on 11/6/09. When the OG Droid was first released, there was apparently a bug in the software. The camera took horribly grainy photos and 90% of the time it would not focus properly (the focus box would flash red instead of green). Supposedly there was a date related bug in the software because on a certain date a few weeks later, apparently everyone's focusing problems magically disappeared. The camera still took horrible photos though. With the first big software release (I believe it was 2.1?), Moto included some updated camera software that dramatically improved the picture quality. Even with the improvements, I would grade the camera ok, not great.

Anathema

Reaction score
i love this camera, while there is a bit of lag between touching the shutter button and it going off, all pics i've taken so far have been perfectly clear. i changed it to 8mp from 6 and took a bunch of pictures at my grandson's birthday party last weekend. children were between 4 and 8 and party was at chucky cheese so none of the kids were still. all pics taken were of kkids in motion and i didn't even wait for autofocus to register. from what i got, you would have thought i took them with a dslr with image stabilization. i hope they don't update the camera, i'm afraid it will screw something up that i'm enjoying.

It only has lag between pressing the button and shutter if you aren't focused pre-shutter. If not, it will attempt to focus before taking the picture. If you want for the "green-box" and it's focused on what you want to take, it's instantaneous - and after a few photo edits (even using the the built in edit) you can make pictures look beautiful.

As for low-light situations, try adjusting the settings a bit.

The one thing I wish is being able to adjust the macro. And the one thing that doesn't make since is not being able to blend multi-shots.

Cowpoke

Reaction score
What would make a world of difference is if Moto would let you control the ISO and add saturation enhancement to all of those effects they give you.. The ISO is too high which is what causes the grainyness. High ISO helps you take pictures of moving objects but sacrifices image quality. If we had control of it then when you are taking a still picture you could lower it and take a nice looking image.

If that is not possible then some options for noise reduction would be really nice. The phone is a beast so it should handle post shot noise reduction and saturation/contrast enhancements with ease. Surprised no third party camera software does this (well) yet that I know of.

redwood

Reaction score
yeah that would be nice...overall the camera works ok, in fact I've gotten some surprisingly good shots with it....OTOH, I've gotten some pretty bad ones too. The sunset preset is useless, clouds with a nice salmon glow to them came out looking traffic cone orange....but I've gotten some pretty good interior no flash shots with it and not a bad twilight shot, both on auto:

View attachment 40304 View attachment 40305

What would make a world of difference is if Moto would let you control the ISO and add saturation enhancement to all of those effects they give you.. The ISO is too high which is what causes the grainyness. High ISO helps you take pictures of moving objects but sacrifices image quality. If we had control of it then when you are taking a still picture you could lower it and take a nice looking image.

If that is not possible then some options for noise reduction would be really nice. The phone is a beast so it should handle post shot noise reduction and saturation/contrast enhancements with ease. Surprised no third party camera software does this (well) yet that I know of.

Last edited:

BOA

Reaction score
I just did some test shots with mine and I have to say that I like it and think it's ok. In the sunlight the pictures were really nice. The video came out really great. HOWEVER in low light the pictures are just horrible.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
What's best 6 or 8 megapixes?

Also what if you can't get a green go-ahead. There are times when the thing just won't turn green.

I've taken some terrific shots and I'm not complaining about the camera - just trying to get more info.