Bionic camera update?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by bionic210, Sep 14, 2011.

1. bionic210

bionic210 New Member

This is targeted more towards ppl that gave had the og droid since release. I herd the camera really sucked on the og droid when that was first was released but then got much better after some updates, software, firmware, whatever, seeing as how everyone knows the bionic camera dsnt seem to be quite on par with 8mp phone cameras these days, should we be expecting an update to fix that in the future?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  2. Sanitarium09

Sanitarium09 New Member

Probably not. Motorola's never been good with cameras. Personally, I'm quite satisfied with the camera and the video recording.
  3. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

I don't think the OG got an update in quality as much as it got an update in speed.

It used to be REALLY slow starting up.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  4. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team Premium Member

Megapixels don't mean anything when it comes to quality and you probably heard that from the people who don't know how to take pictures on the bionic.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  5. mamawm

mamawm Member

i love this camera, while there is a bit of lag between touching the shutter button and it going off, all pics i've taken so far have been perfectly clear. i changed it to 8mp from 6 and took a bunch of pictures at my grandson's birthday party last weekend. children were between 4 and 8 and party was at chucky cheese so none of the kids were still. all pics taken were of kkids in motion and i didn't even wait for autofocus to register. from what i got, you would have thought i took them with a dslr with image stabilization. i hope they don't update the camera, i'm afraid it will screw something up that i'm enjoying.
  6. Stories

Stories New Member

One thing I've noticed is that the camera still sucks in low-light situations, just like the original Droid.
  7. mamawm

mamawm Member

yeah i took a few pics that were less than great, and then i went into the camera settings and unchecked auto flash and set it to manual (flash every time) and it made a world of difference. all the pics after that were great.
  8. jseah

jseah New Member

I had the OG Droid since release day on 11/6/09. When the OG Droid was first released, there was apparently a bug in the software. The camera took horribly grainy photos and 90% of the time it would not focus properly (the focus box would flash red instead of green). Supposedly there was a date related bug in the software because on a certain date a few weeks later, apparently everyone's focusing problems magically disappeared. The camera still took horrible photos though. With the first big software release (I believe it was 2.1?), Moto included some updated camera software that dramatically improved the picture quality. Even with the improvements, I would grade the camera ok, not great.
  9. Anathema

Anathema New Member

It only has lag between pressing the button and shutter if you aren't focused pre-shutter. If not, it will attempt to focus before taking the picture. If you want for the "green-box" and it's focused on what you want to take, it's instantaneous - and after a few photo edits (even using the the built in edit) you can make pictures look beautiful.

As for low-light situations, try adjusting the settings a bit.

The one thing I wish is being able to adjust the macro. And the one thing that doesn't make since is not being able to blend multi-shots.
  10. Speeding Wheels

Speeding Wheels New Member

If people would take the time to learn how the camera works they'd be much happier with their results.
  11. Cowpoke

Cowpoke New Member

What would make a world of difference is if Moto would let you control the ISO and add saturation enhancement to all of those effects they give you.. The ISO is too high which is what causes the grainyness. High ISO helps you take pictures of moving objects but sacrifices image quality. If we had control of it then when you are taking a still picture you could lower it and take a nice looking image.

If that is not possible then some options for noise reduction would be really nice. The phone is a beast so it should handle post shot noise reduction and saturation/contrast enhancements with ease. Surprised no third party camera software does this (well) yet that I know of.
  12. redwood

redwood Member

yeah that would be nice...overall the camera works ok, in fact I've gotten some surprisingly good shots with it....OTOH, I've gotten some pretty bad ones too. The sunset preset is useless, clouds with a nice salmon glow to them came out looking traffic cone orange....but I've gotten some pretty good interior no flash shots with it and not a bad twilight shot, both on auto:

View attachment 40304 View attachment 40305

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  13. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Gonna add this. Shot while out working yesterday evening, about 6:00 pm, coudy. Just grabbed the camera from my pocket and shot a few. I am very happy with the camera so far.

Little Dude or Dudette:Picasa Web Albums - Craig Gillio - Drop Box

Craig
  14. BOA

BOA New Member

I just did some test shots with mine and I have to say that I like it and think it's ok. In the sunlight the pictures were really nice. The video came out really great. HOWEVER in low light the pictures are just horrible.
  15. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

What's best 6 or 8 megapixes?

Also what if you can't get a green go-ahead. There are times when the thing just won't turn green.

I've taken some terrific shots and I'm not complaining about the camera - just trying to get more info.
  16. DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs Member

yeah, but the beer looks fine. :)
  17. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

It's not an ISO issue, it's a sensor issue. Cameras in phones have tiny sensors so they cannot gather a whole lot of light. When you shoot with a sensor like this in low-light situations, you get noise. The noise is causing the graininess you see on the photos.

ISO settings (on digital cameras) mimick film speeds from back in the day. The higher the ISO number, the more sensitive the sensor (in this case) or the film (back in the day) is to light. This means, something with a higher ISO setting/rating will take less time to expose a shot at a lower ISO setting (all other things being equal). The problem with higher ISO settings (with digital cameras) is, you're more likely to introduce noise into the photo.

Now, some sensors are better than others at this. Some cameras are better at processing the noise to suppress it than others. But, at the end of the day, higher ISO settings will be more likely to cause more noise in a given shot.

With DSLRs, the sensors are a lot larger than what's in a phone (in the case of a full frame camera, they're downright HUGE compared to a phone). This helps them shoot at higher ISOs with less problems in the noise department. However, not all cameras are created equal. As I mentions some sensors are better than others. Some manufacturers use better software than others.

However, with today's technology, you aren't going to get much better than what you get out of phones in cameras (in general) in low-light situations--not if you want, "reasonably," priced phones that is.

As far as the Bionic's camera goes, I've not received my Bionic yet (should be here tomorrow) so I can't comment too much on it as I don't know if playing with various settings, using better technique may help significantly or not. From what I've seen, however, it's not really any worse than other cameras I've seen in phones (with a few notable exceptions such as the iPhone4 camera, which is quite good for being in a phone). So the jury is still out on the camera from my point of view.

Hope this helps clear up things for many people.
  18. redwood

redwood Member

yeah it was....but that wasn't even the sunset mode pic, I deleted that one immediately :)
  19. mamawm

mamawm Member

these are really nice. it took me a minute to see the little bugger.
  20. BLeClair12

BLeClair12 New Member

I guess I'm not seeing the issue with the camera that a lot of people are having. Granted, it's not perfect, but it seems to take some pretty damn good shots and even better video.

I had one of my friends play around with mine today. He's an amateur film maker and total videophile, so I knew going in it would take a lot to impress him. He loved the camera and was pleasantly surprised with the quality.
Search tags for this page
bionic camera better with upgrades
camera update for droid bionic
do any droid roms fix bionic camera
droid 4 camera upgrade

droid bionic camera

droid bionic camera software
droid bionic camera upgrade
droid bionoc camera update
droid razr camera does not focus shutter release does not ma
how is the droid bionic camera
how to cancel exterior noise control on droid dna