Bionic Battery improvement

Reaction score
What are the best ways I can improve my battery life with the standard and extended batteries?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
What is your battery life now?

You can try Juice Defender, but you can also shut down 4G if you don't need it.Try changing your display settings to auto.

Some free apps, like Angry Birds, consume more power over the paid version as the free version uses power to run the radios for the ads.

NoClue48

Reaction score
+1 ^^^ on JuiceDefender. I use it and it's extended my battery life by 20% or so, but I'm on WiFi a lot.

OP
BIONICPREDATOR
Reaction score
I may get 3 hrs of battery on my standard battery with nothing but emails, some text messaging and a few phone calls. I get around 5-6 hrs with the extended battery doing the same things. I may try the app you guys just suggested.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
NoClue48 said:
+1 ^^^ on JuiceDefender. I use it and it's extended my battery life by 20% or so, but I'm on WiFi a lot.

Yes, WiFi helps a lot.

I generally recharge at about 15 hours, but I still have power left.

I forgot to ask, are you rooted? Are you on GB or one of the ICS leaks?

Last edited:
OP
BIONICPREDATOR
Reaction score
Not rooted and still on stock .905 GB, afraid I would brick my phone somehow if I were to jump on .246

NoClue48

Reaction score
aaf709 said:
Yes, WiFi helps a lot.

I generally recharge at about 15 hours, but I still have power left.

I forgot to ask, are you rooted? Are you on GB or one of the ICS leaks?

Yes, I am rooted now, but JD doesn't require it to improve battery performance (in my experience). I am also running .246 ICS leak and had a bit less improvement on GB.

josh1980

Reaction score
I used Juice Defender on GB and it was pretty good. Battery life extended by 20% or so with the default configuration. It didn't seem to help much with ICS once you setup good rules with the Smart Actions.

If you're near a computer throughout the day(such as at work) you can use a USB cable to charge your phone. You can get some from monoprice.com for less than $2 + shipping. I have like 10 and they all have been great.

markc23

Reaction score
I may get 3 hrs of battery on my standard battery with nothing but emails, some text messaging and a few phone calls. I get around 5-6 hrs with the extended battery doing the same things. I may try the app you guys just suggested.

Wow that IS bad. I was using Juice Defender but I think Smart Actions will do nicely. I went to 246 yesterday morning and by 10:00 pm I was still at 70%.

Just_AGuy

Reaction score

I've been trying to calibrate my battery so I've done a couple of deep battery drains. On a standard battery with ICS .246, it takes me longer than 3 hours to drain the battery with the screen on all the time, Wi-Fi, bluetooth on, sync and 2 emails in background and continually running Quatrant.
I regularly get 16 hours out of the standard battery but I don't "talk" on the phone a lot, I use it as a PDA, email getter and web browser.

Last edited:

NoClue48

Reaction score
So far, Smart Actions hasn't "recommended" any battery actions but the standard low battery settings. All of my improvements have been from JD. JD does shut down the 4G radio when WiFi is available and I'm told that's the cause of the improvements. 4G radio takes lots of power, comparatively speaking.

Reaction score
NoClue48 said:
So far, Smart Actions hasn't "recommended" any battery actions but the standard low battery settings. All of my improvements have been from JD. JD does shut down the 4G radio when WiFi is available and I'm told that's the cause of the improvements. 4G radio takes lots of power, comparatively speaking.

Ok, can I ask. What is JD?

rduckwor

Reaction score
Ok, can I ask. What is JD?

Juice Defender, a software package that helps preserve battery power by shutting down certain things when they aren't in use.

Also, to the OP, sounds like you might consider a factory data reset if not already done.
It can help battery life quite a bit when evil crap gets caught in memory.

Good Luck,

RMD

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not rooted and still on stock .905 GB, afraid I would brick my phone somehow if I were to jump on .246

No problem, I'm still on stock GB myself. I have heard that ICS helps with battery. You can wait until the OTA, if you want to.

Yes, I am rooted now, but JD doesn't require it to improve battery performance (in my experience). I am also running .246 ICS leak and had a bit less improvement on GB.

While you don't have to be rooted to use JD, if you are it help more by shutting down GPS and other radios.

Idk how you guys are getting such bad battery life. I'm running 232... 4g always on, no smart actions.

Part depends on where you live. If you're in an area where 4G/3G are poor, the phone works harder to connect, using more battery. I average 21 hours using JD on stock GB with an extended battery, but sometimes not, depending on where I am during the day. It lasts from when I wake up to when I go to sleep, which is good enough for me.