Bionic Automatically Switching to CDMA Only Mode

moelsen8

Reaction score
I just noticed this problem in the last couple days, and can't recall it happening before then. I'll look at my phone, (usually) after a long period of inactivity at work or in my pocket, and it'll be on 3G. And I'll wait for it to switch to 4G, do the airplane mode thing, etc, but it still sits on 3G. The first day I thought it was because 4G was down again nationwide. When I took a better look, I noticed that my Bionic had switched itself to CDMA Only. I've been playing this tug-of-war game with it for days now where I absolutely know it's on CDMA/LTE, but when I pick it up again to use it, it's switched itself. It usually happens when I'm at work and not using it most of the day (but it does sit on my company's wifi). I can't find any info on this on any forums. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Could it be an app? A little while ago, I was searching for a 4G toggle switch, but all I found were ones that created a shortcut for me to switch it myself. I think AnyCut was the one I downloaded. I doubt that could be causing this since I've been unable to find an app/widget that can switch between the two modes for me.. let alone the app going bonkers in the background. I have had the handoff issues since the beginning, and I'm ok with fixing it with a good airplane mode toggle every now and then. But this is getting annoying.

Rooted, running debloated deodexed stock. Thanks.

Last edited:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's an unusual bug about which I've read nothing. I would recommend a Factory Hard Reset. Just make sure that you have Backup and Restore checked in the Privacy setting first. This software has been terrific about reinstalling all of my apps (paid and free) after each rom install (which is very much like a Factory Hard Reset).

Good luck.

Didn't notice you were rooted and running a custom rom. I'd reinstall the rom or if you simply ran a deodex script, I would re-odex and then run the Factory Hard Reset and see if the problem comes back. If not, then redo the deodex script.

Good luck.

Last edited:

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well I'm not sure if you're aware of the known data/connectivity issues of the Bionic but this is exactly what happens in that scenario. I think that when it loses the 4g connection it just automatically switches to CDMA only. So without changing any settings, try restarting your phone, if 4g is on when it comes back on, and you're POSITIVE it was on before you turned it off, then this is simply the known issue and a fix is on the way. Otherwise, it probably has something to do with your ROM. Or a combination of both.

The airplane mode switch on/off thing has never worked for me. Restarting is the only thing that does.

OP
moelsen8

moelsen8

Reaction score
Well I'm not sure if you're aware of the known data/connectivity issues of the Bionic but this is exactly what happens in that scenario. I think that when it loses the 4g connection it just automatically switches to CDMA only. So without changing any settings, try restarting your phone, if 4g is on when it comes back on, and you're POSITIVE it was on before you turned it off, then this is simply the known issue and a fix is on the way. Otherwise, it probably has something to do with your ROM. Or a combination of both.

The airplane mode switch on/off thing has never worked for me. Restarting is the only thing that does.

I thought the connectivity issues with the Bionic were just the 3g-4g handoff issues and the inability to get the phone to switch to 4g even though 4g is available!? I haven't seen this happen before maybe Monday or Tuesday of this week... that's really weird. Haven't tried this yet. I will the next time I see this happening, most likely tomorrow..

and holy balls, right before I was about to click submit, I checked my phone just for the F of it.. and there it is, CDMA Only.. but I rebooted without touching anything else, and it still comes back as CDMA Only.

Airplane Mode has and still does work for me every time.. snaps my phone out of the funk and straight back to 4G--never had to reboot. I hope they fix all this crap.

Thanks though.

Rewire Desire

Reaction score
Moelsen, I'm having the same issue as you. As I understood it, the 3g/4g dropout issue was something separate, in our issue the network mode setting actually changes back to CDMA only. Two things:

I- Do you live on the fringe of 3g/4g?
II- Have you noticed your wifi dropping out where it disconnects/reconnects?

00bionic

Reaction score
I've only had my phone for about a day. However, i have already had this problem several times. Thanks for the tips on how to resolve it. I will say that while so far I'm pretty happy with the phone, the whole reason i got it was to get dual processor 4g. Randomly switching to cdma only sort of takes the fun out of it!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
moelsen8

moelsen8

Reaction score
Moelsen, I'm having the same issue as you. As I understood it, the 3g/4g dropout issue was something separate, in our issue the network mode setting actually changes back to CDMA only. Two things:

I- Do you live on the fringe of 3g/4g?
II- Have you noticed your wifi dropping out where it disconnects/reconnects?

Yeah, these issues seem to be different. My phone actually switches the network mode by itself too (in addition to the other 3g/4g issues everyone else is talking about). At first glance, I was going to say no to both of your questions.. I'm in the NYC area with no problem getting a good 4g signal.... outside, at least.

But after thinking about it, when I'm at work, I barely get a signal on my phone, let alone 4g. It's usually either 3g in the building or nothing at all (usually nothing), which is why I try to sit on my company's wifi. So, my phone's probably freaking out as if it were on the fringe, trying to get a signal and jumping back and forth. I would have to say being in that building is like being on the fringe.

And the wifi actually has been weird too now that you mention it. I'll pick up my phone and wifi will still be connected (and it's on the charger all the time there), but I won't be able to get any data until I turn off wifi and turn it back on again to reconnect to the router. I just thought it was some kind of setting or policy with my company's wifi. It's like it's connected but it's not connected. It's all weird stuff going on with this phone when I'm at work.