Bing Surprises with Continued Gains in Marketshare

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
bing-growing-april-2015.png

You might glance out your window and look for flying pigs and shivering devils... the unthinkable is occurring. Bing has actually continued to gain valuable search marketshare against the behemoth that is Google. Bing's U.S. search market share recently rose to over 20%. Specifically, Bing rose to 20.1% share of all desktop searches last month. This is an increase from the 18.6% share from last year.

In contrast, Google's search marketshare lowered from 67.5% in March 2014 to 64.4% in March 2015. There's even more to the story than just that, though. The dirty little (not so) secret of the search industry is that Yahoo continued their agreement with Microsoft to use the Bing search engine for their searches. This means that if you combine Yahoo and Bing proper, than the Bing search algorithms cover more than 30% of the total market.

Could Microsoft actually pull a "search engine" coup on Google in the coming few years? We can't say that stranger things have happened, but that would definitely be a bizarre turn-around...

Source: SearchEngineLand

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Well there are people like my dad who use it for 2 reasons. one...he is super paranoid and thinks google is stealing all his personal information and that microsoft are the good guys and two, he has no idea how to change the search provider in IE because thats the only browser he knows how to use. He totally flipped out when they updated IE and removed the years old interface for what they use now. So I'm not sure people are necessarily choosing Bing over Google but more along the lines of using whatever they have in front of them because they don't know better or the difference.

Reactions: cr6

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
So which one is better? I've never used Bing.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
While I don't agree that Bing stinks, it is true that Google still has it beat in accuracy and other metrics. Microsoft has a way to go, but they are steadily improving it.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
So which one is better? I've never used Bing.

I personally prefer Google. I've tested them before and the relavent results tend to be first in Google and sometimes Bing just gives you useless results. I'm not saying it can't do the job, it just isn't on the same level as Google.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Thanks for the heads up! I'll stick with Google then.