Big Problem Installing 2.1, I know I'm not the only one.

OP
H

hatboysam

Reaction score
Flashing back to 2.0.1 does not work for the same reason I can't upgrade to 2.1. Where can I get this rooted 2.1 update zip? I would like to try that. Also does this update follow the same procedure as manually applying the true 2.1 update?

MrKleen

Reaction score
Why do you think reloading a fresh copy of the software would not work?

Do you need any help?

If not, carry on... :)

OP
H

hatboysam

Reaction score
I have tried every method that does not wipe my phone and they all require the original browser apk. If someone could just send me those files I know how to fix my problems.

MrKleen

Reaction score
YOU DO have to wipe your phone. Good grief man.... fix your problem and carry on.

MrKleen

Reaction score
From Sprecovery run a stock update.zip and wipe data and cache.

If you don't want to take the 3 minutes to do this you can search for files for years if you like.

OP
H

hatboysam

Reaction score
What effect will wiping the data and cache have on dach as my SMS, my contacts, my apps, and my settings? And if it will delete those things, how do I backup?

MrKleen

Reaction score
What effect will wiping the data and cache have on dach as my SMS, my contacts, my apps, and my settings? And if it will delete those things, how do I backup?

All of your contacts are saved in Google cloud. Some of your apps will also automatically reload when you start fresh. However any apps that you have purchased are remembered and if they did not automatically reinstall all you have to do is download them from market again, and it will show that they were purchased and there is no charge. I have done it many times.

If you would like to back up apps there are several programs but I like to use Astro. Astro is also handy for manipulating files on your sd card also. Your customized settings should only take a couple minutes to reset the way you like it.

Another positive benefit of doing a fresh install and wiping the phone is that it's like a brand new phone as far as speed. Then when you load the 2.1 update you will be in tip top shape.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Oh sorry, also titanium backup if you would like to backup settings and sms and all that.

OP
H

hatboysam

Reaction score
Ok so everyone is making it sound like I am going to have to wipe my phone, which ****ing sucks. All I really want to do is go back to the stock browser, and I'm not quite sure why everyone is making it sound like getting the fiiles I need from one of your phones and using them to fix my browser through terminal would be impossible.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Takes 3 minutes to do all of what you don't want to do... but I wish you luck.... peace

dafischman

Reaction score
Just so you know, I updated today manually without unrooting my phone. When I got the message for the OTA update, I chose to update my phone. It restarted and I got an error saying that the update was aborted. What I did to get around this was I went to the thread on hear on how to force the update. I downloaded the update to my phone and renamed it update.zip per the instructions. I used Astro to move it to the root of my sdcard. Then I restarted my phone and held x to get to the screen where I chose to update. The first time I hit did it, it aborted again. I then clicked on the allow update.zip and nothing happened. I then clicked on the update again and it went through perfectly. No issues, lost root, but have all of the new fancy 2.1 stuff. Hope that helps. It can definitely be done without resetting everything.

Josh

MrKleen

Reaction score
Just so you know, I updated today manually without unrooting my phone. When I got the message for the OTA update, I chose to update my phone. It restarted and I got an error saying that the update was aborted. What I did to get around this was I went to the thread on hear on how to force the update. I downloaded the update to my phone and renamed it update.zip per the instructions. I used Astro to move it to the root of my sdcard. Then I restarted my phone and held x to get to the screen where I chose to update. The first time I hit did it, it aborted again. I then clicked on the allow update.zip and nothing happened. I then clicked on the update again and it went through perfectly. No issues, lost root, but have all of the new fancy 2.1 stuff. Hope that helps. It can definitely be done without resetting everything.

Josh

Josh, I agree with what you said. The reason I would go the route of the fresh install then load the 2.1 update is for the benefits of a fresh install since he has probably never done it before. Not only would it fix his issue, but it would improve the speed of his phone. Also that it can be done very quickly verses searching for files for hours or days.... lol

The poor guy is still probably asking for and searching for his files. He wants to do it his way or no way.

crspang

Reaction score
I don't think titanium backup will work without root access. So if he were to wipe data and update to the official 2.1 he would not be able to use titanium.

Myth

Reaction score
when I first loaded a rom I wiped my phone and everything reloaded automatically except my texts. Those I'd backed up to Gmail though. All I had to do was rejoin my contacts and that only took a few minutes.