Big News From Droid Mod Devs Website

Discussion in 'Droid Mod' started by WoZzY, Jul 14, 2010.

1. WoZzY

WoZzY The GRD Dev Team
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    Ok guys this looks similar to the post I posted a few days ago but as you notice the droid devs have edited a few lines & crossed out almost stable up to the point where it says stable so according to them the droid mod team as a stable version of project Drurden running.

also the other news is :

If you can live without wifi, deleting /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko will stop the reboots caused by the bad tethering config.

UPDATE: Tethering is now working.

the patches on the durden rom must have been a success so I am hopeing that the droid mod devs will have a rom out hopefully in a week or less ..

I know it has been a while but I would rather have quality over them droid mod devs releasing a rom with many bugs & releasing updates every 2 days & having to reflash it every other day.

We’re at a point where the ROM is very near to being stable. We’re having issues with tethering causing the phone to reboot, but for the most part everything is working fairly well. For those interested in building the ROM from source to get an early glimpse of what it will look like, here’s what you’ll need to know:
    First, read the guide for downloading the AOSP source code (you can swap the repo init command with the one below now, or do it later): Get Android Source Code | Android Open Source
    You can avoid having to run adb as root by adding a udev rule; directions here: Developing on a Device | Android Developers
    Ubuntu 10.04 users: the udev syntax changed, use: SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="22b8", MODE="0666"
    Durden uses SquashFS and LZMA for kernel/ramdisk compression, so you will need to grab tools for those. In the future, we’d like to make these prebuilts, but for now just install them on your system. For Ubuntu:
    $ sudo apt-get install squashfs-tools lzma
    Downloading the Durden source can be done with the following repo commands:
    $ repo init -u git://git.droiddev.org/platform/manifest.git
    $ repo sync
    In addition to the Durden source, you will need two patches that we’ve submitted to AOSP, but have not yet been reviewed:
    $ repo download hardware/ti/omap3 15700/1
    $ repo download external/sqlite 15724/1
    To pull the proprietary Motorola and Google files you’ll need off your phone (it must be running a Froyo ROM):
    $ cd vendor/droidmod
    $ ./extract-files.sh
    $ cd ../..
    Set up a buildspec.mk:
    $ cat > buildspec.mk << EOF
    USE_CCACHE := true
    DROIDMOD_WITH_MOTOROLA_APPS := true
    DROIDMOD_WITH_GOOGLE := true
    DROIDMOD_WITH_ZOMG := true
    DROIDMOD_WITHOUT_SQUASHFS := true
    EOF
    Every time you open a new terminal, you will have to run these commands to configure your environment:
    $ . build/envsetup.sh
    $ lunch droidmod_sholes-eng
    Now you're ready to run the build!
    $ make otapackage
    If you can live without wifi, deleting /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko will stop the reboots caused by the bad tethering config.
    UPDATE: Tethering is now working.
    The most commonly asked question is whether Durden will overwrite recovery. The answer is no; while a recovery.img is built from source and included in the ROM (as recovery-from-boot.p), the recovery image is not actually flashed when the phone boots. We're still working on making that recovery image useful, so it isn't recommended for general use.
    If you'd like to make changes and contribute back to the project, we use Gerrit at Gerrit Code Review, and the process for uploading changes is the same as for AOSP. You can read the guide to contributing to AOSP here:
    Android Contributors' Workflow | Android Open Source

2. WoZzY

WoZzY The GRD Dev Team
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    this was quoted from a droid mod dev "Camel"

Written by Camel about 3 hours ago. Log in to Reply It means there was one major problem. We’ve found the cause, and developed a temporary fix. We’re currently working on a long-term fix, and then will do some more testing before spreading a development snapshot around.Camel

so that must mean they are prepping for a release soon enough bare with them guys they have lifes & they have work & they do this for free

these devs care about quality over releasing buggy build of rom

no disrespect to other devs because we all appreciate your hard work

3. keyblade

keyblade Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I joined the party too late to have experienced DroidMod, but hopefully they'll put something out great again.

4. TAPOUT27

TAPOUT27 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Def looking forward to the release...I always loved DroidMod Rom's....:)

5. nmiltner

nmiltner Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Just wanted to add to this. I got a twitter update from @dmupdater (Scott Anderson of the DM team). Looks like things are progressing over there. Can't wait to get this back on my phone.

dancedroid

Scott Anderson (dmupdater):
    Durden's froyo branch is now stable! Expect to see snapshots appearing in irc shortly

Twitter / Scott Anderson: Durden's froyo branch is n ...

6. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +289
    If it wasn't for DM I may never have rooted my Droid. They were the innovators to making it easy to root and unroot. Since then I've rooted and gone back to stock many times and it's not difficult, but when I first got the Droid in November it was a very tedious procedure, at least to me it was. DM Made it so much easier.

7. wmnomore

wmnomore Member

Ratings:
    +0
    what's the hoopla on this?
    will it be better than say, cyanogenmod? or just different?
    why the long wait for stability?
    thanks