Big battery drain yesterday

ferret57

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
Twitter
ferretfuzzies
Don't think I'd want to charge mine all night, considering it's at 100% when I retire for the night. That can't be good on the battery.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Charging it to 100% isn't good for it, but that's what the OEMs do to them anyway. Shortens the life rather a lot.

But since the phone shuts the charge off to the battery other than a trickle to maintain 100% (all batteries self-discharge), it's not like you're dumping 2.1 amps into it all night long.

ferret57

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
Twitter
ferretfuzzies
Think I will stick to my regime. Seems like it has worked great past couple days. Besides, who needs to go on the internet, etc., in the middle of the night. Just turning wifi and data off is saving battery like crazy, then don't have to charge as much. Although others like charging theirs at night, if you have wireless charging that's great. But unless you buy several wireless charging who wants to carry their wireless charger around? And no way will keep the phone plugged in to a turbo charger overnight. Although it's the samsung phones where people had problems with them catching on fire, still won't chance it. imo only.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Think I will stick to my regime. Seems like it has worked great past couple days. Besides, who needs to go on the internet, etc., in the middle of the night. Just turning wifi and data off is saving battery like crazy, then don't have to charge as much. Although others like charging theirs at night, if you have wireless charging that's great. But unless you buy several wireless charging who wants to carry their wireless charger around? And no way will keep the phone plugged in to a turbo charger overnight. Although it's the samsung phones where people had problems with them catching on fire, still won't chance it. imo only.
Perhaps you're not understanding what we mean by charging at night? We're not saying charging more than once a day, just that the time we choose to charge is while we sleep and as you put it we're not using the phone anyway.
The time of day that works best for you is the best time for you to charge your phone. Me personally, my phone isn't stationary long enough during the day to charge during the day. From 6am until ~10pm I'm on the move and my phone is about as attached to me as my hands and feet. :) . I use between 4-6 hours os screen time daily because my phone is my communication device,pda, music player, etc.

ChevyParts

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
And no way will keep the phone plugged in to a turbo charger overnight. Although it's the samsung phones where people had problems with them catching on fire, still won't chance it.
I use mine almost every night. It's the charger that shipped with the phone, and which Motorola recommends to use. Also, it only turbo charges to around 78%. So, on a typical day I'm only down to around 70 - 75% so it will only turbo charge 5 -10%. But either way I'm not worried about using it on a regular basis overnight.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Agree, do what works for you. Never hurts to discuss, though.

I refuse to baby my battery. I charge it often and certainly every night. It's meant to be used. Most batteries get right around 18-24 months before they really start to degrade no matter how you treat it, so by then it's either new phone time anyway, or I get Moto to replace it. ;)

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
Perhaps you're not understanding what we mean by charging at night? We're not saying charging more than once a day, just that the time we choose to charge is while we sleep and as you put it we're not using the phone anyway.
The time of day that works best for you is the best time for you to charge your phone. Me personally, my phone isn't stationary long enough during the day to charge during the day. From 6am until ~10pm I'm on the move and my phone is about as attached to me as my hands and feet. :) . I use between 4-6 hours os screen time daily because my phone is my communication device,pda, music player, etc.
It all varies with all of us, I for one typically wait until 8:30-9:00 PM during the work-week to charge my device and mid-day on weekends after a gym workout using Pandora or Google Play music with bluetooth headphones. I'm going to experiment this charge cycle with the Razr Maxx charger & the USB that came with it in place of the Turbo charger. I've noticed using my S4 Galaxy USB charger yielded nearly 43 hrs of battery life with 3 hours screen-on time, versus about 30-36 hrs with the same screen-on time with the Turbo charger. I bet sending a higher wattage load through it (about 15 Watts, 9 Volts 1.67 Amps versus 11 Watts, 5 Volts, 2.1 Amps) has a lot to do with it. The Moto charger I'm using is the dual-USB 0.75 Amp, 5 Volt. Charge time won't be a concern of mine today, as it is Easter Sunday.

MarBearCat

Reaction score
Battery draining here. Go to bed 1 am with 100% battery. Wake up at 6 am with 80% battery. Android OS - 25% Cell Standby 25%, android system 20%. Android OS doesn't specify what is using; Cell standby says 3h 15m 18s; android system, normal system services. So, how to save battery live. Seems like 20% battery loss in 5 hours with not using the phone is a lot, or is that normal?
I always hit the sack with my phone plugged in the charger.

MarBearCat

Reaction score
I always hit the sack with my phone plugged in the charger.
Not the turbo charger though, the charger I used with my RAZR MAXX.
This week I'm going to turbo charge my phone for about 15 to 20 min every day at lunch/noon time to get me past 15% battery by the time I get home.
My battery's day starts around 4:20 am and ends around 6:00 pm.

=^.".^=

MarBearCat

Reaction score
Quick question, rebooting is the same as just turning the phone off then
on again, correct?

=^.".^=