Beyond just original content; ouya will emulate nintendo 64, snes and nes at launch

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;YgpTe83yBV8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YgpTe83yBV8[/video]​

Game aficionados of some great past consoles will be happy to learn the OUYA will not be limited to just a small smattering of original content at its beginning launch. According to the latest report, the new Android gaming console will have built-in emulator support for a number of different consoles of old. Here's a quote with more info,

OUYA forum admin and owner Ed Krassenstein said in a post on his site that EMUya, a NES emulator, has been submitted to OUYA for review and should definitely be available at launch, and a couple of SNES emulation options are confirmed, including the SuperGNES and the Mupen64Plus Nintendo 64 emulators. The Mupen64Plus project is also said to be available at launch, with the developer behind it posting that it has already been approved by OUYA for inclusion in the official store.

Emulators on OUYA aren’t new in and of themselves. Back in January, footage surfaced of the developer kits of the console running Nintendo 64 games, as well as SNES titles. Emulation support appears to even be sanctioned at the top: the N64 emulator’s inclusion in the actual OUYA store proper means users shouldn’t even have to sideload the titles themselves to get access.

What do you guys think of this news? Are there any old console games you are looking forward to firing up on the OUYA?

Source: Who Needs Original Content? OUYA To Launch With Nintendo 64, SNES And NES Emulation Support | TechCrunch

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
YOu have to wonder if Nintendo will be watching this thing closely because of illegal ROMs. Emulators aren't illegal, but the ROMs are unless they are somehow legally purchased.

I do like the idea of the emulators. I wouldn't mind my kids playing some of the games I grew up on.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Ocarina of Time is enough to justify this whole system haha. I grew up with that game and it is still my favorite to this day.... As John said, the rom situation will be interesting.

Asgard

Reaction score
Emulation was one of the main reasons why I backed the ouya project.
And in the case of ROMs, they can just say that they don't provide the ROMs just like every other emulator out there claims just for legal reasons.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
YOu have to wonder if Nintendo will be watching this thing closely because of illegal ROMs. Emulators aren't illegal, but the ROMs are unless they are somehow legally purchased.

I do like the idea of the emulators. I wouldn't mind my kids playing some of the games I grew up on.

Actually ROMs are legal if you own the cart.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Actually ROMs are legal if you own the cart.

Who still has the cart's though? Lol. Some, maybe, but like most others mine were left at the parents house and have since "suspiciously" disappeared.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
looking forward to this

Sent from my razr maxx

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
If there is a legal way to buy ROM's for the Ouya, and the ROM's are competitively priced at today's mobile game pricing schema (see Google Play, Amazon Appstore and Apple Appstore), I'd buy them. But if I owned the game in my youth, and can't find them because they, "were left at the parents house and have since 'suspiciously' disappeared," I will have to be...creative. :happy3: