Beware of Verizon... not waiting to start new retail sales

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note 7' started by jstafford1, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,690
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Spoke with my buddy who has a defective Note 7 today. From the text he sent me, it sounds like Samsung arranged for him to exchange his at our local premium retailer (all we have now for vzw).

He has an appointment to exchange his.

Sent from my Moto Z

• Like Like x 1
  2. zinethar

zinethar Senior Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8 and Note 10

3. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,434
    This is a tough situation because Verizon (or any carrier) can not hold inventory. At the life span of smartphone popularity they have about a month and a half before they have to start lumping in bogos. Now for Verizon inventory is in the agreement more than the phone.

With stores all over it is hard to track and hold a sell to wait on every return. With that said they should have gone out of their way to actively seek out customers and arrange for a swap.

Verizon took the approach that this is a Samsung problem not so much theirs. It is their (Samsung) job to figure this mess out, as far as Verizon is concerned.

As a customer I would make it a Verizon problem by returning my recalled phone and dropping my agreement. I would call the retention people to explain why I left. Taking care of the customer do not stop once they sign the agreement.

Yeah you can involve the government but in this economy money talks. And when money starts walking heads start rolling.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  4. zinethar

zinethar Senior Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8 and Note 10
    OK I rep-lied earlier but accidentally did a second one which I deleted and it appears it took away both! I called around 7 this morning and was told my closest Verizon store started with 15 (all black model which was what I wanted) and were down to 8. I drove the 40 miles to the store and got one of only 3 they had left. All their new stock had been reserved for exchanges.It has been a long, confusing, road to happiness but I HAVE MINE!!!:)

• Like Like x 5
  5. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,270
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Well that's the way it's supposed to work. Good news.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,270
    Current Phone Model:
    I hear all your saying and don't necessarily disagree with it. I believe that retailers and carriers may feel it's not their problem and that holding stock is against the retailer's best financial interested but the CPSC does hold jurisdiction over the entire distribution chain in a government recall. Any link in the chain that doesn't follow the recall mandates is in effect breaking Federal law.

Could you imagine a food recall being handled this way? The FDA would be all over that. How about a recall of an alcohol that has a higher alcohol content than labeled or allowed, or a tobacco that's significantly more carcinogenic, or a firearm that's misfiring and causing injuries? The ATF would be livid. How about airbags that are going off unintentionally? The Department of Transportation would shut them down in a heartbeat. Those involved would be hung up by their fingernails if they disobeyed the recall. Since this isn't an industry overseen by the FDA, ATF or DOT but instead by the FCC it's being handled much more loosely. The problem is, it's a very real risk of danger to life and limb and personal property. The FCC isn't typically involved with things that have bodily harm involved.

#42 FoxKat, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ngt

ngt Senior Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Wow, well, it looks like stuff is getting done. I'm waiting for an email from best buy. They said it would be this week. Can't wait too get this behind me, lol.

I was wondering, my phone keeps asking my to turn on fast charging or something. I always say no. Was that part of the problem?

• Like Like x 1
  8. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,338
    What should have happened was carrier contact owner. Send new phone to owners address when it came in with return postage paid , like when you buy a new phone online. If carrier hasn't received old one by a certain time the costumer gets billed and old phone gets black listed. They could've black listed the old when the new activates as well.
    There should have never been the corporate stores involved.

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4

<><

• Like Like x 2
  9. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,270
    Current Phone Model:
    It hasn't been determined but charging is apparently at the root of the problem and causing the batteries to overheat, resulting in fire. Charging at normal rates may not hear the batteries up enough to create the internal shunts (shorts), which result in the batteries self-destructing. Charging at the fast or rapid/turbo charging rates do tend to heat the batteries up more so the risk when fast charging may be significantly higher.

• Like Like x 2
  10. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,270
    Current Phone Model:
    Except for one HUGE problem. I'll bet that shipping the defective Note 7 is now restricted to HazMat. Shipping one in UPS, FedEx or USPS may be illegal due to the risk of fire. One of the first things USPS asks when shipping packages is whether there are flammable or explosive devices. Technically a defective Lithium Ion battery could be classified as a potentially flammable or explosive device.

11. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,338
    So how is Verizon , or whoever, getting them back to Samsung?
    When my wife had a recall on a battery to an old phone the new one came FedEx overnight and the old one went back snail mail in the provided envelope. I used to get all kinds of stuff at my old job that was deemed hazardous and/or flammable and it just had to ship ground cross country but ups delivered it.

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4

<><

• Like Like x 2
  12. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,270
    Current Phone Model:
    I'm not saying it's been indicated that it can't ship the normal channels, just that I'd bet it may be. Perhaps there may never be a mandate of such but it's reasonable to think it could. If one of these phones catch fire in the cargo hold of an airplane it could result in catastrophic failure. Currently you can't place these phones in checked-in luggage, only carry on.

If I were UPS or like, I would want them handled by road delivery only. I might even want a special dispatch of trucks outfitted with steel containments.