Beware of Verizon... not waiting to start new retail sales

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Oh I hope they nail verizon with a huge fine!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I agree. These carriers and retailers are in some cases deliberately putting profit before law and safety. This may also be an issue of improper dissemination of information and guidelines, or failed training, but I do believe that for the private retailers, authorized agents and perhaps even in some cases the carriers it's probably the prior.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Which will eventually get added into our phones, plans, etc.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using TapaTalk
Good point... Can't win for losing.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Okay folks, so I just got off the phone with the Consumer Product Safety Commission in regards to the Note 7 recall and informed them of the problems that we are incurring getting these phones replaced. In fact they are aware of the situation and they are saying that "It is a direct violation of the recall". Replacement of defective and possibly hazardous phones is the number one priority. Any sales of retail phones prior to replacing those defective phones is circumventing the recall, and can be considered a violation of law.

They are referring all these complaints over to the Office of Compliance for the Consumer Product Safety Commission and in fact they are being followed up on. So if you do have a retailer or carrier that's not providing you a replacement and is in fact selling phones instead of using them for replacement stock they are in direct violation of the Federal Recall and could be subject to sanctions. I would notify them of that when you talk to them on the phone, and I would also notify them to the fact that Samsung themselves has also made a directive that all phones shipped out are to be used for replacement of defective phones first, and new purchases or sales are to take second place position.

If you do have a complaint, you can reach the Consumer Product Safely Commission directly and inform them of your own complaint, but there are complaints lodged and I've opened a formal ticket with the Consumer Product Safety Commission"s Office of Compliance regarding this. I provided my information and they will be reaching out to me shortly.

151cd92c1b921a13745a63d27c17af28.jpg

The number to reach the Consumer Product Safety Commission is (800) 638-2772. Please call if your carrier or retailer refuses to cooperate.
So what you're saying is the gov't is further involved?

Looks like we may never see a replacement...

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
So what you're saying is the gov't is further involved?

Looks like we may never see a replacement...

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
Well, OK, in the case of a Federal Recall, it's the OEM who is responsible for completing the recall, but it's the CPSC who mandates the recall (except in this case as Samsung made a voluntary mandatory recall before the CPSC issued the formal recall), and assures compliance.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Spoke with my buddy who has a defective Note 7 today. From the text he sent me, it sounds like Samsung arranged for him to exchange his at our local premium retailer (all we have now for vzw).

He has an appointment to exchange his.

Sent from my Moto Z

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Anyone? I exchanged my S7 loaner for my shiny new Note 7 today at the closest Verizon store. They originally had 15, were down to 8 when I called at 11:00 and when I got waited on at the store I got one of 3 left. They had only gotten black (which I had exchanged) and told me they were only using this shipment for exchanges. All I know is that I HAVE MINE!!! :)

35792958a5cda6c922f22736e6c4b49c.jpg

Tapped from a Nexus 6

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is a tough situation because Verizon (or any carrier) can not hold inventory. At the life span of smartphone popularity they have about a month and a half before they have to start lumping in bogos. Now for Verizon inventory is in the agreement more than the phone.

With stores all over it is hard to track and hold a sell to wait on every return. With that said they should have gone out of their way to actively seek out customers and arrange for a swap.

Verizon took the approach that this is a Samsung problem not so much theirs. It is their (Samsung) job to figure this mess out, as far as Verizon is concerned.

As a customer I would make it a Verizon problem by returning my recalled phone and dropping my agreement. I would call the retention people to explain why I left. Taking care of the customer do not stop once they sign the agreement.

Yeah you can involve the government but in this economy money talks. And when money starts walking heads start rolling.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
OK I rep-lied earlier but accidentally did a second one which I deleted and it appears it took away both! I called around 7 this morning and was told my closest Verizon store started with 15 (all black model which was what I wanted) and were down to 8. I drove the 40 miles to the store and got one of only 3 they had left. All their new stock had been reserved for exchanges.It has been a long, confusing, road to happiness but I HAVE MINE!!!:)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK I rep-lied earlier but accidentally did a second one which I deleted and it appears it took away both! I called around 7 this morning and was told my closest Verizon store started with 15 (all black model which was what I wanted) and were down to 8. I drove the 40 miles to the store and got one of only 3 they had left. All their new stock had been reserved for exchanges.It has been a long, confusing, road to happiness but I HAVE MINE!!!:)
Well that's the way it's supposed to work. Good news.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
This is a tough situation because Verizon (or any carrier) can not hold inventory. At the life span of smartphone popularity they have about a month and a half before they have to start lumping in bogos. Now for Verizon inventory is in the agreement more than the phone.

With stores all over it is hard to track and hold a sell to wait on every return. With that said they should have gone out of their way to actively seek out customers and arrange for a swap.

Verizon took the approach that this is a Samsung problem not so much theirs. It is their (Samsung) job to figure this mess out, as far as Verizon is concerned.

As a customer I would make it a Verizon problem by returning my recalled phone and dropping my agreement. I would call the retention people to explain why I left. Taking care of the customer do not stop once they sign the agreement.

Yeah you can involve the government but in this economy money talks. And when money starts walking heads start rolling.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I hear all your saying and don't necessarily disagree with it. I believe that retailers and carriers may feel it's not their problem and that holding stock is against the retailer's best financial interested but the CPSC does hold jurisdiction over the entire distribution chain in a government recall. Any link in the chain that doesn't follow the recall mandates is in effect breaking Federal law.

Could you imagine a food recall being handled this way? The FDA would be all over that. How about a recall of an alcohol that has a higher alcohol content than labeled or allowed, or a tobacco that's significantly more carcinogenic, or a firearm that's misfiring and causing injuries? The ATF would be livid. How about airbags that are going off unintentionally? The Department of Transportation would shut them down in a heartbeat. Those involved would be hung up by their fingernails if they disobeyed the recall. Since this isn't an industry overseen by the FDA, ATF or DOT but instead by the FCC it's being handled much more loosely. The problem is, it's a very real risk of danger to life and limb and personal property. The FCC isn't typically involved with things that have bodily harm involved.

Last edited:

ngt

Reaction score
Wow, well, it looks like stuff is getting done. I'm waiting for an email from best buy. They said it would be this week. Can't wait too get this behind me, lol.

I was wondering, my phone keeps asking my to turn on fast charging or something. I always say no. Was that part of the problem?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What should have happened was carrier contact owner. Send new phone to owners address when it came in with return postage paid , like when you buy a new phone online. If carrier hasn't received old one by a certain time the costumer gets billed and old phone gets black listed. They could've black listed the old when the new activates as well.
There should have never been the corporate stores involved.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Wow, well, it looks like stuff is getting done. I'm waiting for an email from best buy. They said it would be this week. Can't wait too get this behind me, lol.

I was wondering, my phone keeps asking my to turn on fast charging or something. I always say no. Was that part of the problem?
It hasn't been determined but charging is apparently at the root of the problem and causing the batteries to overheat, resulting in fire. Charging at normal rates may not hear the batteries up enough to create the internal shunts (shorts), which result in the batteries self-destructing. Charging at the fast or rapid/turbo charging rates do tend to heat the batteries up more so the risk when fast charging may be significantly higher.