Beware Killer Screen Protectors

Reaction score
Had an interested experience yesterday that I am going to share with Razr Maxx users, as a warning when choosing a screen protector. I bought mine at a Verizon store in the Mall in Kennesaw, Georgia. It was a Professional ScreenGuard made for the Razr. I was told that it would also fit the Maxx. The next day I found that I could hear my callers fine, but the person I was trying to talk to couldn't hear me! I called Verizon tech support, they told me to take my phone to a Verizon store, it was probably a defective speaker. When I took it to the Verizon store, the first thing they asked was where I bought the screen protector. I found that this "killer screen protector" was, in fact, covering (killing) the microphone! The mic is a hole located in the lower left of the glass, so if you buy a screen protector for your Maxx, make sure there is a hole or slot that allows the mic hole to be clear.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think the average person needs a screen protector. Glass is hard to scratch, I don't care what anybody says.

I've never used a screen protector on any touch screen phone I've had and never got a scratch on the screen. Is it impossible? No. But I think the odds of it happening are very slim.

Trash Can

Reaction score
I don't think the average person needs a screen protector. Glass is hard to scratch, I don't care what anybody says.

I've never used a screen protector on any touch screen phone I've had and never got a scratch on the screen. Is it impossible? No. But I think the odds of it happening are very slim.

People generally fall into two categories - those who have and those who will.

I can't stand fingerprints, smudges, etc. that come along with screen protectors, but I'd much rather deal with those than a scratched screen that never goes away. It only needs to happen once to ruin your day. As always, YMMV.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Apologies OP, I didn't mean to take your thread off topic. Thanks for mentioning the blocked microphone.

OP
S
Reaction score
Apologies OP, I didn't mean to take your thread off topic. Thanks for mentioning the blocked microphone.
Well, you certainly practice what you preach (in your signature: "Please be respectful.")! Honestly, I like having a screen protector on my devices more for there anti-glare/fingerprint properties, than fear of scratching.

cece5702

Reaction score
Had an interested experience yesterday that I am going to share with Razr Maxx users, as a warning when choosing a screen protector. I bought mine at a Verizon store in the Mall in Kennesaw, Georgia. It was a Professional ScreenGuard made for the Razr. I was told that it would also fit the Maxx. The next day I found that I could hear my callers fine, but the person I was trying to talk to couldn't hear me! I called Verizon tech support, they told me to take my phone to a Verizon store, it was probably a defective speaker. When I took it to the Verizon store, the first thing they asked was where I bought the screen protector. I found that this "killer screen protector" was, in fact, covering (killing) the microphone! The mic is a hole located in the lower left of the glass, so if you buy a screen protector for your Maxx, make sure there is a hole or slot that allows the mic hole to be clear.

Thanks for the tip! I noticed mine is covered up! Must fix that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! I noticed mine is covered up! Must fix that.

Curious, can you be heard with it covered, I couldn't! It's an easy fix, just cut out a slot with an xacto knife or cut it out with a scissor.

cece5702

Reaction score
Curious, can you be heard with it covered, I couldn't! It's an easy fix, just cut out a slot with an xacto knife or cut it out with a scissor.

I didn't have any issues with people hearing me before but I still fixed it just in case.