BetterCut 2.3

MJ5150

Reaction score
I upgraded to the new BetterCut tonight, version 2.3. Now when I try to edit a shortcut, I get this not so nice message that I can not edit Android Home shortcuts, just those from Open Home. Did I bugger something up, or is anyone else getting the same message?

I e-mailed the dev as well to ask them. If this is how the new version is, I will need to find the 2.2 version of the APK or it's time to stop using BetterCut.

-Mike

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey MJ! I don't know the answer but I can recommend to ditch BetterCut and use FolderOrganizer (paid) or AppsOrganizer (free version, can change icons too). It has a handy export settings feature and you can change shortcut icons as well. Compatible with all Home Launcher replacements.

Made my life so much easier. I ditched BetterCut. lol

cruzincat

Reaction score
Do any of these apps allow you to modify shortcuts with larger type fonts?

I could really use this feature for dialing shortcuts, while driving.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do any of these apps allow you to modify shortcuts with larger type fonts?

I could really use this feature for dialing shortcuts, while driving.
Unfortunately no

On second though it's not exactly a shorcut but in FolderOrganizer you can create a label with all your most contacted contacts and set it up to display as a list with icons or no icons. From what I've seen they are pretty big. It's worth a try...Only problem each contact can't be put on the screen by themselves you have to put the shortcut to the "most contacted label" which brings up the list. So two taps vs the one tap direct. Might work out for you though.

cruzincat

Reaction score
Right now I am using "Fast Call". Any contact that is all caps lists ahead of other entries and in alphabetical order and is easier to read, but I would prefer to have modified icons that are different for each caller, and have larger fonts. With FC, if you have a lot of contacts, you have to scroll a bit in each list that of contacts that start with the same letter. I had to select the option to list the numbers and tap a second time, because the Droid contact app grouped similar contacts together under one entry. I am just not sure I have fixed all of them yet. Bad thing is, if the contact you tap is at the bottom of the screen, the list of number(s) pops up under the contact and you have to scroll again. Then you try to scroll and the lists hides again. Tap again and then you can see the number to tap again. Way too difficult! I would much rather have folders with dialing shortcuts I can make out with my almost 60 year old eyes.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Right now I am using "Fast Call". Any contact that is all caps lists ahead of other entries and in alphabetical order and is easier to read, but I would prefer to have modified icons that are different for each caller, and have larger fonts. With FC, if you have a lot of contacts, you have to scroll a bit in each list that of contacts that start with the same letter. I had to select the option to list the numbers and tap a second time, because the Droid contact app grouped similar contacts together under one entry. I am just not sure I have fixed all of them yet. Bad thing is, if the contact you tap is at the bottom of the screen, the list of number(s) pops up under the contact and you have to scroll again. Then you try to scroll and the lists hides again. Tap again and then you can see the number to tap again. Way too difficult! I would much rather have folders with dialing shortcuts I can make out with my almost 60 year old eyes.

FolderOrganizer might work well you then, That's basically what it does. Once setup it's really powerful. You should check it out.

Reaction score
I gotta +1 on Folder organizer. I got the paid app and it lets you do all kinds of cool stuff

Last night using Folder organizer I made Direct Dial shortcuts for my wife's cell and work numbers as well as my father, mother, and sister's cell phones. Then I used Folder Organizer to give these all the label "Direct Dial Star". Then I used Folder Organizer to set a sweet "GLass Orbs" Icon for the label, then I set the label Direct Dial Star as one of the shortcuts on my Launcherpro shortcut bar, so no matter what screen Im on I can dial my wife, sister, or parents with two easy button presses.

OP
MJ5150

MJ5150

Reaction score
.....use FolderOrganizer (paid) or AppsOrganizer (free version, can change icons too).

Hiya Jon!

Thanks for the tips. I tried AppsOrganizer. It doesn't look like it does what I need it to. All I want to do is change the name and the icon on my home screen.

Reaction score
you can change the icon and name in Folder Organizer (not sure if you can do this in Apps Organizer), then when you want to add the app to your home screen, longpress your screen, select widgets, then select folder organizer, then apps, then the app you want. the App will then be added to your screen with the Icon and Name changed.

cruzincat

Reaction score
Tried Folder Organizer. It might be powerful, but it's not easy to figure out how to do stuff and any help I could find was minimal. Maybe if there were more step by step tutorials, I might try it again some time, when I have time to play with it.