Better way to update

stanrc

Reaction score
Why doesn't Koush or someone else that knows how make an update that only updates the things that were changed between versions.

For example 5.0.7.1 installer would only install the fixed gallery and updated spare parts. Instead of doing a full wipe of /system every time. This means have to reapply themes every time a small change is made.

I understand this isn't ideal for major revisions like 5.0.6 to 5.0.7, but for small patches it would be much easier I think.

VitsDroid

Reaction score
I dont think you have to wipe if you already have 5.0.7 just run the update.zip for the new 5.0.7.1

Unless Koush says otherwise, i think thats the way it is. Let me know if im wrong.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont think you have to wipe if you already have 5.0.7 just run the update.zip for the new 5.0.7.1

Unless Koush says otherwise, i think thats the way it is. Let me know if im wrong.

You don't have to wipe data and cache - but the install does rewrite the system partition, which eliminates changes you made to framework-res (themes). I agree, it would be nice if perhaps 5.0.7 was the full ROM, so if you want to run the latest (5.0.7.1), you first install 5.0.7 and then update.

OP
S

stanrc

Reaction score
I think it would stream line a lot of updates and make small updates like this less of a hassle. Its frustrating installing 5.0.7 yesterday, reinstalling all the themed items just to have to do it all over again today because two apps were fixed/updated.

Even if koush doesn't have time for it, I'm sure someone can easily make an update.zip that updates just those 2 apps.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I always use someone's remix of CM such as JRummy or Energy, so these small updates are a bit frustrating. I want those small fixes in 5.0.7.1, but I don't want to give up my theme.

VitsDroid

Reaction score
I think it would stream line a lot of updates and make small updates like this less of a hassle. Its frustrating installing 5.0.7 yesterday, reinstalling all the themed items just to have to do it all over again today because two apps were fixed/updated.

Even if koush doesn't have time for it, I'm sure someone can easily make an update.zip that updates just those 2 apps.

gotcha, that makes sense. Just updated and now I need to redo the kernal and scripts, but at least my gallery works now.

I came from BB1 and I am really impressed with all the customization and speed of Cyanogen 5.0.7.1. Linkpack is at .65 at oc1000 which is the same as bb1

PDR447

Reaction score
the reason you can't just push a delta update is that people mod /system and pushing just a couple changes could cause a boot loop for people that have made conflicting changes to /system.

if nobody did anything to /system(like stock, non-root) then yes, you could push just a patch. but with people freely modding /system you have to push a whole new /system image to be safe.

LrdElderon

Reaction score

Looks like PDR beat me to it but in regards to your comment. Aside from you doing it yourself =) you could just download the rom from the forum and pull the apk files you want out. This is assuming though that there were no fixes or changes made elsewhere in the system. Even then you are still going to lose your theme on those new files unless you have MM and can re theme just those 2 apps or whatever new things you put in.

Frankly it might seem easy and streamlined on the end user side perhaps but on the dev side I'm sure that would be a nightmare trying to package stuff like that on top of what they already do. It's quite a bit of work just the way they do it now.

OP
S

stanrc

Reaction score
the reason you can't just push a delta update is that people mod /system and pushing just a couple changes could cause a boot loop for people that have made conflicting changes to /system.

if nobody did anything to /system(like stock, non-root) then yes, you could push just a patch. but with people freely modding /system you have to push a whole new /system image to be safe.

I'm not sure I see how this is an issue. Obviously during one of these updates the user would be made aware exactly what was being changed. So in this case only Gallery3D.apk and SpareParts.apk are being updated. So if the user has made changes to other apks in /system then it shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise yes they would have to re-make any modifications to those two apks but they would have to do that anyways during an update.

I guess I just don't see how other apks in /system being modified affects updating other apks. I suppose to ensure compatibility from the devs standpoint.

OP
S

stanrc

Reaction score

Looks like PDR beat me to it but in regards to your comment. Aside from you doing it yourself =) you could just download the rom from the forum and pull the apk files you want out. This is assuming though that there were no fixes or changes made elsewhere in the system. Even then you are still going to lose your theme on those new files unless you have MM and can re theme just those 2 apps or whatever new things you put in.

Frankly it might seem easy and streamlined on the end user side perhaps but on the dev side I'm sure that would be a nightmare trying to package stuff like that on top of what they already do. It's quite a bit of work just the way they do it now.

I agree the devs work hard already and its much appreciated, but I don't see how just making an update.zip with 2 apks would be harder/more work than releasing a whole new build.

Maybe this is such a rare case (only changing 2 apks) that its not worth it. As i'm sure most updates modify more than that.