Better then a Radar Detector on your PHONE

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I brake check people all the time...I'm doing 75 on the beltway and they want to tailgate? Stand on the brake once and they won't tailgate for a few days at least.....Thats after they clean the coffee off the inside of their windshield.

Are you one of those who stay in the left lane?

Nope....Usually middle lane.

Natey2

Reaction score
An App that would allow you to see where police were on your phone by tracking the gps on their car....

Try Waze. Free GPS-based "social" navigation/driving program.

It allows other users to report police speed traps, road hazards, etc., and you get to see those locations on your display.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I personally think the cameras could be great and stop idiots from running true red lights, but I also feel that the way they work was not conveyed to the general population very well. There was a 60% increase in traffic accidents at the locations the cameras were installed after they were up and running.
They could but every jurisdiction that installed them apparently did so to generate revenue rather than improve safety, which is how they sold them. Conveying how they work shouldn't even be necessary -- that's just bad traffic management design.

Personally, I would rather have seen us keep the cameras and vote on a proposition to do away with women drivers doing anything and everything while navigating a vehicle other than DRIVING! That would solve a lot of the problems on Texas highways and byways!
Gender doesn't matter. There are plenty of idiot male drivers in Houston as well as the rest of Texas. I come across them all the time on a daily basis. Bad driving is bad driving and it isn't limited to any one demographic or even to a specific combination of demographics.

Last edited:

GDO7

Reaction score
Personally, I would rather have seen us keep the cameras and vote on a proposition to do away with women drivers doing anything and everything while navigating a vehicle other than DRIVING! That would solve a lot of the problems on Texas highways and byways!
Gender doesn't matter. There are plenty of idiot male drivers in Houston as well as the rest of Texas. I come across them all the time on a daily basis. Bad driving is bad driving and it isn't limited to any one demographic or even to a specific combination of demographics.

You seem to have taken my comedy as me being serious. Trust me, I drive the roads from Galveston to Spring all the time, and you are correct in saying that demographics has nothing to do with it. The thing that pisses me off is when you are on a 2 lane, 60mph speed limit, and the 2 idiots in each lane are doing 50. When you finally get around them you notice that they are both talking on their phones. Maybe we need to invent an app that kills the phones of people that drive slow while talking on said phone! (Yes, that was a joke)

techguru

Reaction score

You seem to have taken my comedy as me being serious. Trust me, I drive the roads from Galveston to Spring all the time, and you are correct in saying that demographics has nothing to do with it. The thing that pisses me off is when you are on a 2 lane, 60mph speed limit, and the 2 idiots in each lane are doing 50. When you finally get around them you notice that they are both talking on their phones. Maybe we need to invent an app that kills the phones of people that drive slow while talking on said phone! (Yes, that was a joke)

In Maryland and DC, talking or texting without a handsfree device (which is still distracting, but marginally better than handheld) is illegal, but the fine is way too low and you need to be caught doing something else to get the ticket. I certainly think that driving in general has gotten much worse since cell phones have become affordable to everyone.

However, even without cell phones, having driven in 40 of the 50 states in the past 15 years, I can assert beyond a shadow of a doubt that DC area does have some of the worst drivers in the country. I hate to cast aspersions on anyone, but I do believe that a large part of it is all of the foreign nationals who live in this area who come from countries with much more lax driving regulations. It is too easy to get a drivers license here if you have one from another country. You don't need to take a road test to prove you can actually drive.

A friend went to live in Germany, and after being there for three months he had to take a grueling written and road test in order to continue driving there. They have the toughest safety regulations, and everyone I have ever met from Germany has been an excellent driver (or they didn't drive and took the bus and train everywhere). We need those kinds of traffic laws here.

Alan

Pudge

Reaction score

Five-0

Reaction score
The GPS systems used in an AVL (Automatic Vehicle Locate) system built in to a Public Safety CAD system are utlized through the secure connection between the vehicle's mobile data terminal and the home servers in dispatch. No app can display that.....legally.

If it's okay with the mods here, I cross posted it on an International LE site.

Sorry, there isn't an app for that... - American Police Beat Forums powered by OfficerResource | Law Enforcement Forums, Police Forums

No worries Pudge. I use Trapster and I post my location when running radar just to see if there are other users on and to see how many thumbs up I next to my location that I have shared on the App. I do it to get people to slow down without having to cost them money. That and I hate working wrecks. Can't wait for someone to say I was running a speed trap when I'm sharing my location on a speed trap app.:D Not to mention I've been know to mark a speed trap every mile along one road in my beat.:icon_ devil:

Last edited:

caseyc

Reaction score
This app that I am looking for does not rely on user imputs... it actually detects their gps signal by using your gps... if the cop moves it shows it on your phone instantly. But thanks for the input

Do you have any idea how illegal that would be if it were a real app.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

First i cant believe you believed your friend and second i cant believe you thought there was something out there that could actually track the cops in real time for us civilians lol

caseyc

Reaction score
The GPS systems used in an AVL (Automatic Vehicle Locate) system built in to a Public Safety CAD system are utlized through the secure connection between the vehicle's mobile data terminal and the home servers in dispatch. No app can display that.....legally.

Sorry, there isn't an app for that... - American Police Beat Forums powered by OfficerResource | Law Enforcement Forums, Police Forums

No worries Pudge. I use Trapster and I post my location when running radar just to see if there are other users on and to see how many thumbs up I next to my location that I have shared on the App. I do it to get people to slow down without having to cost them money. That and I hate working wrecks. Can't wait for someone to say I was running a speed trap when I'm sharing my location on a speed trap app.:D Not to mention I've been know to mark a speed trap every mile along one road in my beat.:icon_ devil:

lol thats pretty cool and funny :rofl3:

Pudge

Reaction score

Good idea. I may start doing that as well. There's no stat for what we prevent with our presence. But Trapster could help. :)

Five-0

Reaction score

lol thats pretty cool and funny :rofl3:

You should watch me use the metal detector app as a lie detector. Making it go crazy when someone is full of bravo sierra is priceless.

techguru

Reaction score
Not to mention I've been know to mark a speed trap every mile along one road in my beat.:icon_ devil:

Love it!

Years ago when I lived in Poughkeepsie, NY (long before the Internet) the police would have the local radio stations broadcast where they were setting up speed traps, they would also put their schedule in the newspaper. Goal was to slow people down, not write more tickets and clog the courts (they were busy enough with the beginnings of the crack epidemic...).

Alan

Gritwater

Reaction score
I love how when discussing driving, people think germany is the cream.... if they were as good at everything as people say, wed all be speaking german since 45.

Sent from my Droid 2 while driving.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love how when discussing driving, people think germany is the cream.... if they were as good at everything as people say, wed all be speaking german since 45.
Don't be ridiculous. It's not all-or-nothing. The fact that we don't all speak German doesn't mean that we're better at everything.