1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Better memory and app management for the D1

Discussion in 'Liquid' started by -iD, May 10, 2011.

1. -iD

-iD New Member

i've been following this for a while. zeppelinrox has been working with the builtin minfree settings and the oom groupings and has come up with some very clever and helpful scripts. Here's the link to the script in the first post. it's a long thread and his implementation has evolved; read the first post to get the idea of what he's doing and the last few pages to catch you up to what's current.

I've found that the balanced or multitasking settings really help GB on the D1 run smoothly; i'd forgotten that the system app screen didn't HAVE to redraw after each app i deleted, and how nice it was to use geniewidget news and NOT have the news widget refresh after returning from each article, because i'd been using Gingerbread so long and they were getting killed by the memory manager and i'd just gotten used to it.

Here's the post inside the thread that originally caught my eye

download script manager from the market and his supercharge v6 script and check it out.

dancedroid
  2. AdamPA1006

AdamPA1006 New Member

Hmm very confusing post. I had autokiller but it didnt seem to work on GB so I deleted it. Do I need that to run these scripts? Out of those 4 files on the bottom which one should I download? Top one?
  3. liquid0624

liquid0624 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

my task killer values are somewhat similiar to the supercharger v6 script yet better i think
  4. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

As far as a specific app manager app, nothing beats "autostarts" I swear by it. Its not a task killer by any means, it prevents the apps you select from ever even starting, all apps have specific "triggers" that tells them to start, many many of which I have found have no reason to start for the triggers they have, one of my "note taking apps" was trigger to start when ever I had an incoming call?

Just be carefull what triggers u disable, some will prevent the app from working properly, but none of the settings u make will wreck anything, if u disable a specific app, then find it not to work properly simply go back in & enable it, & some triggers when u disable them will allow the app to still work fine, its a bit of trial & error to suit your needs....but right now, after a reboot, if I open up advanced task manager, I have like 5 apps running vs a whole screen full I would get without using autostarts.
  5. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

Like SMS :p that will make it impossible for you to send messages. I learned that the EXTREMELY hard way XD

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. pdc419

pdc419 Member

I haven't been having any problems with the lgb stock values. People running this and have problems most likely haven't wiped or need to change kernels

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  7. zeppelinrox

zeppelinrox Premium Member Premium Member Developer

It's more than playing with minfree values.. it adjusts the entire memory management grouping and priorities as well.
    You will rarely if ever get lag or launcher redraws and I've been told more than once that it feels like the user has a brand new phone.
    One person was going to upgrade but now won't because the phone runs so good that they can afford to wait and get a better price on the upgrade.

Fiddling with minfree doesn't do that.

A real memory management fix does that.

Take V6 SuperCharger for a spin.. it will feel like 512mb of ram under the hood.

It's risk free - after all there is the uninstall :)

[​IMG]

You can actually just run it with Terminal Emulator as well so you don't even need to install script manager.
  8. captdroid

captdroid New Member

Problem is after reading your OP post on XDA I don't know what to download and install for v6 supercharge! :)

And before you did the V6 one which I'm not sure what I need to install and run in terminal mode.. when I installed the latest busybox as you suggest needing it broke other things in the ROM :(
  9. zeppelinrox

How would latest busybox do that?
    I've never heard of that one before.
    I guess you can reflash the rom without losing settings ya?

All you need to get is the V6 script though (not AOR version) if you have a custom rom and run in terminal.

I really gotta clear out excess info.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk
  10. captdroid

captdroid New Member

I think it was the goodies options in Liquid settings. There are scripts that the latest busybox not compatible?

Any way to run the v6 script without the latest busybox?

Like your work anyway even if I can't run the script :) I wanted to try out the new OOM mappings?
  11. -iD

-iD New Member

Hiya Zeppelin,thanks for dropping by. Forget busybox; the only reason it was discussed earlier in the thread was to get rid of the sderrs using gscript. Since u moved to script manager the busybox version doesn't matter.

Since u come from the milestone side u may not know this but many Droid roms depend on an older version of busybox and strange things happen with the latest version, which is why none of your Verizon users want to update it.

I think it's the rearranging of the oom groups that does more than the actual minfree settings.

Good stuff!

12. -iD

-iD New Member

Download script manager from the market. Download the v6 script from the thread. Open script manager, point to the downloaded script and run as interactive with root. The script is very verbose and spells out what its doing, and places a help file on the root of your SD if u need more help running it.

I swear by this; it ain't perfect but it gets the D1 with GB damn close!

13. captdroid

captdroid New Member

Thanks iD! I can run the Supercharge V6 script now :) From the menu I am trying option 11 OOM Grouping Fixes and Hard to Kill Launcher.

Edit: Wow! Everything got faster. Going to run with this for a while and see how it goes.
  14. zeppelinrox

Nice.
    So the horsepower (minfree) stayed the same but the SuperCharge gives it a nice kick ;)

zoom... zoom... lol

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk
  15. GodfatherIP

GodfatherIP New Member

Hey zepplinrox, I'm loving the supercharger scripts. Fixing the OOM groupings was a great idea. I'm curious if you like to use compcache while using your scripts or if you believe it is better to just turn compcache off and have less aggressive minfree settings?

Also what is your opinion on JIT, it uses a little ram to increase processor speed correct? I've always had it on since it became available in new roms but it seems that RAM may be the limiting factor more than processor speed so maybe it hurts more than it helps on the original Droid.

Thanks again!
  16. zeppelinrox

Well the milestone can't have compcache because of the locked bootloader so I have never experienced it... or swap for that matter :p

But what I would do is benchmark performance with and without and see what feels better or suits you better.
    If you want more multitasking and less speed, then probably yeah but if you just want it as fast as possible, then it looks like probably no.
    But I'm just going with what I've read about it.

btw, for benchmarking I like SmartBench and Linpack as the results aren't all over the map like Quadrant scores.
    Usually I use SeePU.. it sits in the status bar and when cpu usage is down, I start the benchmark using performance governor.
    This way, I'm comparing apples to apples.

I like leaving JIT enabled.
    Yeah it takes up memory but now you control how much free memory you have anyway.
    The only difference is that with JIT on, maybe you would have a couple of less apps running in the background.
    So instead of 25 apps in memory, you'd have 23 or something like that.

But that doesn't matter much either because apps just take turns updating in the background anyway.

I guess the deciding factor for me is that there is apparently a slight delay when launching an app with JIT enabled.
    But with SuperCharging... I don't notice much of a delay... ;)
  17. mackncheesiest

mackncheesiest New Member

I can't seem to get the "ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1" to disappear from the /data/local.prop file. It seems like no matter what I do, no matter what options I change, I can't get my home to not be locked in memory and not be "pretty weak". I've deleted the file, made sure any "keep home in memory" options are unchecked, changed the line to =0 and leave the blank space, everything I can think of or have seen on the forums. Nothing I do will get rid of that dumb file and let me actually get the script working right. The script still says it's "bulletproof" and stuff, but that clearly isn't the case because I still get plenty of redraws. Any suggestions?
  18. jonnybgewd

jonnybgewd New Member

So I tried the supercharge script, and used script manager and for the life of me I couldn't find the run as interective option, but I tried the script anyway
    And it set the oom to 0 across the board, and obviously of didn't work as it should
    So where do I find the run as interective option in script manager
  19. mackncheesiest

mackncheesiest New Member

It should just be interactive from the start from what I've read.
  20. jonnybgewd

jonnybgewd New Member

Hmm well then I'm not sure what's wrong with it except that it set the oom to 0