Better keyboard?

ripper2860

Reaction score
If you are a Swype fan -- Touchpal is a nice alternative. Its ability to discern the correct word despite sloppy swyping is quite impressive. And it's free.

Jelem1880

Reaction score
Try A.I. type keyboard, it is free in the play market. It is one of the best keyboards I have used so far.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

B

bens42608

I am starting to get extremely frustrated with using this virtual keyboard all the time. Coming from my og Droid at first I didn't kind it at all since the buttons are so big on my bionic but lately for some reason I can't type a whole text without a bunch of typos n I can't begin to explaint how annoying it is that ALL the time I miss the spacebar n there are periods or the letter n in between my words. Id be temptedto get a d4 ifit wasn't for the non-removeable battery. I can't believe they did that! Ignite gonna be non-removeable then it shouldbat least be as big as the maxx n they should not have tried it out on such anbimportant Droid device. If it had a removeable battery then I'd be getting it because I miss my physical keyboard bad. Irk y I am so annoyed by the virtual one so much lately but its making me crazy. They need to make a thin Droid with a paper thin keyboard and a removeable battery. Or at least make it a razr maxx w a keypads by I am losing it on the virtual thing today

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ben's, try a swype keyboard. I had the og Droid and thought I had to have a physical keyboard. Then I discovered swype and never went back to using the physical keyboard. It is so much faster and easier. People watch me and ask how I am typing bc they are so amazed that I am just swiping my finger across the keyboard. I am not sure if you after familiar with swype but all you do is place your finger on the first letter of the word you are typing and without taking your finger off the keyboard, you trace over the rest of the letters in your word. You don't even have to be exact in the letters you swipe over. Some swype apparently are better than others. I loved flex, worked great, was using the stock swype on this phone and it worked good and just recently started using go keyboard to try it out and I really like it. For much easier, quicker and more convenient than pecking each individual letter on a touch keyboard or a physical keyboard.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

B

bens42608

Thanks for the advice, tismydroid. Yes, I've used swype b4... I didn't give it Much time tho. I'm gonna take ur advice n give it another try since I need a change. Ive been cool w the virtual for thepast 6 months but now I'm just sick of it. Idk... maybe I just never really got over my first Droid. I want an updated phone modeled after the original but with modern tingsnlike 4g bigger battery bigger screen gorilla glass etc

B

bens42608

This is me using Adele. That was supposed to say Swype, not Adele.i'm using it in horizontal mode And Im curious if you prefer using it in horizontal or vertical with the smaller keys but less distance to move yr finger? Right now i'm kinda slow because I have to look and see if Swype is writing the right words but I imagine as I got my comfortable with it I would begin to be more confident that its typing the right thing and I could just keep going without looking.well i'm gonna give this a chance for a couple days.i've used it lots of times before but I don't remember liking it this much.thanks for suggesting it to me again.I wonder if there are skins for it to make it different colors? Wow...I am enjoying this much more than I every remembered liking it before! It just seems so relaxed and efficient.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
bens... Wow, that was pretty good. There is a bit of a learning curve...more for the app than the user bc as the app gets familiar with your typical words, it will automatically select them as the most likely. For instance you will notice in my other post, it automatically typed the wrong words such as apparently instead of app or swipe instead of swype (and I didn't catch it to correct it) but now it realizes I use the word app and swype and will choose that as the default and the others as a choice.

Some swype apps do have skins you can personalize. I know go keyboard does, which is why I am trying it out. But I believe you probably have to download go launcher to use it. Go keyboard also has a very convenient copy cut paste and select feature that I really like.

Glad I talked you into it, lol! Have fun!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Oh, usually I use it in horizontal mode...less area to have to swype through.

B

bens42608

Thanks, you were very helpful

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Glad to help. Hope it solves your frustration. I totally can not finger peck type on a virtual keyboard.

TatDroid

Reaction score
jerry1946 said:
Swiftkey 3 beta, works great.

It USED to work great. Yesterday I got the message that my beta trial is over and I would have to buy the full version. Back to SwiftKeyX for me...

B

bens42608

It USED to work great. Yesterday I got the message that my beta trial is over and I would have to buy the full version. Back to SwiftKeyX for me...

What do u need man? Maybe I can help u

petec

Reaction score
I want to use a calculator app (Droid 48) which has a lot of keys. Would a stylus work or are they for something else?

Drumz

Reaction score
I searched the app market for days looking for a perfect keyboard, and came across Thumb Keyboard. It has 5 or 6 different layouts (for vert. and horiz. orientations) and also has customizable shortcut keys, and even ccustom buttons for phrases. The clincher for me were the arrow keys, which I had become accustomed to while borrowing a friend's HTC Evo.....I realize there is a cursor on the stock board, but it was never as accurate as the arrow keys, and a HUGE alternative over having to backspace (delete) four or five words!! Hahaha! It was a few bucks, but worth it!