Better geotagging

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by sziehr, Sep 20, 2010.

1. sziehr

sziehr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I would like to be able to take a picture and have it tagged with location while out pursuing various hobbies. The camera app does tage the photos, but the latitude and longitude accuracy used is city level. I would like to have the photos tagged with maximum gps accuracy (>10 meters) so I can return to the exact same spot if necessary. Is there any app that can do this for me? GPS Essentials is supposed to offer this, but it can't open the camera on my D2.

Thanks

2. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My tagged photos are right on the mark. Are you sure you're tagging photos with GPS and not some other, less accurate, method of determining your location?

GPS is GPS. My photos aren't any more or less accurate than anything else using my GPS receiver for location info.

3. shhlacker

shhlacker New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My photos are also tagged exactly where I took them. When I load them into Picasa I can see a nice map view of exactly where I took them. It tags the photos with the city I am in or near, but if you look at the EXIF data of the picture you should see the exact coordinates. One thing I notice however is if you take the picture to soon, the coordinates might not be right on, or maybe even use the last location you took the photos. I usually wait a few seconds after turning on the camera so that the GPS has time to lock in.

4. TwerpPoet

TwerpPoet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Go into your Location setting and make sure you've got all three of these enabled: User wireless networks, Use GPS satellites, and Enable Assisted GPS.

Be certain you've good a good GPS signal and lock. There should be a couple apps or widgets that give you your GPS's status. Personally I like the Tricorder in GEO mode. You need at least three satellites locked for a decent flat earth fix. Four or more will increase your accuracy and add elevation.

And if you know all this and still can't get a good lock, chances are you're just out of luck. Tall building or trees often block the GPS signal. That leaves your with the wireless network location which is, as you've noticed, less precise.

5. sziehr

sziehr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Actually, my problem may be in accessing the data rather than capturing it. I posted my question after clicking on the info button in gallery for a couple of the pics. There, the coordinates were only to 2 decimal places and I assumed that was as good as it could be. I have tried looking at the exif data, but don't see any coordinates listed. Anyone know of a good Linux program for accessing this? I want to see the actual coordinates, not just view a waypoint on a map. And yes, I do have everything properly selected in settings. I did install Vignet, it looks like a very good camera app.

Thanks a lot guys, this is my first Droid, my first smartphone and my first time to mess with geotags, so the learning curve is pretty steep.

Ok, just did a test. Vignet showed 6 meter accuracy before I took the pic. When I open the image in Gimp and other viewers, no gps data is seen in the exif or metadata. I have Vignet set to use gps for location. When I view the data through gallery on the phone, lat is 39.xx and long is shown as -105.xx. Compared to the JustGPS app, there should be 3 more digits of resolution available.

6. bfreed

bfreed New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My Geotagging experience - 90' error.

I'll probably start a new thread for this somewhere too, but thought I'd add my 2 cents here, since this is the closest topic I've found to the issue I've been searching for.

The Droid X stores its GPS coordinates to the nearest Lat/Long Second. Check out the EXIF data in IrfanView (Image\Information >> view EXIF data).
    In central PA, each second corresponds to 24 meters east-west and 30 meters north-south (the 30m should be pretty standard, the 24m will be larger the closer to the equator you are).

In other words, while there is no problem with the GPS chip itself (as verified by MyTracks, AlpineQuest, etc.), the camera application (and also the "Camera Pro" app) is truncating the data.

So the phone is capable of up to 10' accuracy, but the application rounds the tagged location to the nearest 90'. THIS SUCKS.

The old HTC / T-mobile G1's do NOT have this problem, so it's not a universal Android limitation, it's a Motorola/Verizon thing. argh.

Search tags for this page
galaxy s3 geotag show city

geotagging accuracy

geotagging galaxy s3
geotagging on galaxy s3
geotagging photo's in gimp
gimp geotag
how accurate is location info of photo
how to geotagging trees use samsung galaxy s4
pictures galaxy s3 geotag show city
samsung s4 not showing geotags pic properly