Better browser for droid?

Moonraker

Reaction score
Browser IMO is pretty solid. It's got everything you would need just about. It's clean looking. It's not bad.

Dolphin is about the same, it has added tabs (like Mozilla or whatever) but the main reason I use dolphin browser instead of the standard browser is the added "pinch and zoom" feature for it.. which IMO helps my web browsing alot, cause it makes zooming alot easier. And it also had that nifty thing on the bottom right corner that takes commands based on your finger movements

Sweet Daddy

Reaction score
Browser IMO is pretty solid. It's got everything you would need just about. It's clean looking. It's not bad.

Dolphin is about the same, it has added tabs (like Mozilla or whatever) but the main reason I use dolphin browser instead of the standard browser is the added "pinch and zoom" feature for it.. which IMO helps my web browsing alot, cause it makes zooming alot easier. And it also had that nifty thing on the bottom right corner that takes commands based on your finger movements

Pinch and zoom is completely overrated, IMO. It requires two hands. I actually prefer the "double tap" method.

Moonraker

Reaction score

Pinch and zoom is completely overrated, IMO. It requires two hands. I actually prefer the "double tap" method.

It can do both. If I'm surfing the net on my Droid, I'm usually taking the time to stand still and use two hands. I like it cause I can be real subtle with it and zoom in only a little, or just exaggerate the motion and zoom in a lot. It's nicer for when I want to control how much I zoom. I never really got that with the double click.

To each his own my brother!

mjs31

Reaction score

I agree 100% about pinch and zoom. I use one hand 95% of the time so pinch/zoom defeats the purpose. I have used Dolphin and it is a very nice browser, but I am back to using the main browser for everything and have never had any issues.

cb2000a

Reaction score

It can do both. If I'm surfing the net on my Droid, I'm usually taking the time to stand still and use two hands. I like it cause I can be real subtle with it and zoom in only a little, or just exaggerate the motion and zoom in a lot. It's nicer for when I want to control how much I zoom. I never really got that with the double click.

To each his own my brother!

At least we have a choice.

Reaction score
I agree about pinch and zoom, usually it's not really needed and double-tap works easier with one hand.

I have a couple of questions I posted in another thread that nobody seemed to be able to answer. They relate to the browser and searching, so it's not quite off topic for this thread:

1) When you do a search, you get the results in an app that looks like the stock browser, but if you select the icon for the browser you don't get those results back. For example, if I voice search "abc" then I get the results list from google search and I click on the first result, realize it wasn't what I was looking for the ONLY way I can get those results back is either to press back button or to repeat the search. Is there a way to just pull up those search results again?

2) If you go to home and select menu >> settings >> search >> searchable items you have options for searching Contacts, Browswer, Apps, YouTube and Music

Where do you perform this search? I've tried saying the names of apps and I have tried youtube x and all I get is browser searches. I know you have to say "call x" or "call x mobile" for example with voice dialing, but what are these other options? It sounds like I can launch programs by voice, but I can't figure out if there is a trigger word or what.

Moonraker

Reaction score
I agree about pinch and zoom, usually it's not really needed and double-tap works easier with one hand.

I have a couple of questions I posted in another thread that nobody seemed to be able to answer. They relate to the browser and searching, so it's not quite off topic for this thread:

1) When you do a search, you get the results in an app that looks like the stock browser, but if you select the icon for the browser you don't get those results back. For example, if I voice search "abc" then I get the results list from google search and I click on the first result, realize it wasn't what I was looking for the ONLY way I can get those results back is either to press back button or to repeat the search. Is there a way to just pull up those search results again?

2) If you go to home and select menu >> settings >> search >> searchable items you have options for searching Contacts, Browswer, Apps, YouTube and Music

Where do you perform this search? I've tried saying the names of apps and I have tried youtube x and all I get is browser searches. I know you have to say "call x" or "call x mobile" for example with voice dialing, but what are these other options? It sounds like I can launch programs by voice, but I can't figure out if there is a trigger word or what.

I THINK if you use the search button when the Youtube application is being used, then when you search it will search for youtube videos.. maybe thats what the "searchable items" screen allows?

bmchan

Reaction score
I installed Dolphin and deleted it. The stock browser automatically fits to the window without pinch and zoom.

MarkB

Reaction score
Love Dolphin, the pinch zoom and the gesture controls, plus tabs and the ability to scroll through your tabs like windows by swiping - heck the bookmark sync is nice too. Only ads I've ever noticed were in the bookmark manager and it's just a tiny thing at the bottom of that window.

eNonsense

Reaction score
I installed Dolphin and deleted it. The stock browser automatically fits to the window without pinch and zoom.

yeah. the stock browser does resize the main text collum on the page so that on a double tap everything is nice and viewable. dolphin does make you adjust your zoom more often in that regard.

also tabs are irrelevant in my decision because i always hide dolphins tab bar with the menu button while i'm browsing. at that point the windows in the stock browser are basically at the same level. i also find that when i'm browsing on my phone i usually don't have much need for multiple tabs, so it's not enough of a heavily used feature to nitpick between the different implementations.

i like that dolphin incorporates del.icio.us bookmarks, but their m.delicious.com page is still better by far.

at this point i really don't see the need to switch to dolphin.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can go with either, but I like dolphin only for tabs. When fennic is released that will be the one to have, saw some screenies the other day, verrrrry nice!