Best way to sync music to Droid (not double twist)

sturgl

Reaction score
I like Songbird a lot...

might want to report this as a bug to the songbird team, they tend to be pretty good at adressing problems. Its probably confused by the two storage things....

Great idea. I pulled a couple Songbird nightly builds, and reported bugs accordingly. So far, I'm actually having my best syncing experience with WMP12. Who knew? Back to Songbird:
1.43 (current): doesn't recognize onboard storage
1.71a (stable nightly): recognizes storage - both onboard and SD - though it does mix them up. Fails to pick up full codec support on device, however - only mp3 - meaning that Songbird refuses to sync all other (device supported) filetypes.
1.8a (nightly): Fails to see both storage areas on device.

Moving on to the device. Anyone used/like MixZing? Much better than native players. Automatically downloads artwork, reads tags properly, suggests music based upon user's library, allows you to choose between internal and external storage, scrobbles to last.fm... lots of good stuff. It doesn't give file info: bit-rate, file size, file type, sampling frequency, bit-depth, etc. - but maybe that's stuff most people don't care about. I've also gathered 3 is a pretty good player - sadly, not compatible with Incredible yet.

All the best!

darimini

Reaction score
ok now dont hold me to it but i am pretty sure it shouldn't erase the ringtones if you hit ok....lol, i know that wasn't exactly the answer you are looking for

Yeah... it would be great to get a definite answer on this... has anyone else had this message come up? Why is it coming up on my (completely new) phone?

darimini

Reaction score
After much, much, MUCH tinkering, requests for help on the getsatisfaction.com Songbird site, and a lot of research on every available workaround, I am uninstalling Songbird.

There's been all this talk that once you download Songbird 1.4, the MSC Support add-on makes it possible to sync with a remote device. This will NOT work on my phone. Even when I choose "Sync all music, videos, and playlists," Songbird appears to think it has synced everything in the library, but in reality, NO files have been transferred to my Droid.

So then I tried FolderSync. No go there, either. Folder sync just copies the source file, but without metadata. Plus when you try to set the options to organize the music into nice folders as you transfer it onto the phone, it says it will do it, but doesn't. My phone was only able to find about 1/3 of my music, and no metadata, whereas with drag & drop, it could read everything.

It's such a shame. It's such a pretty program, and I love the "Artists on Tour" addon. I plan to give it a year or so and hope it will work then. Meantime, people seem to really like MediaMonkey.

blamejake

Reaction score
If you're married to iTunes, check out iSyncr (as mentioned earlier in this thread). I've tried several (perhaps all) and iSyncr is easy and elegant (the paid version). The only thing I 'drag' are the music I want in the Playlists. No, I'm not associated - just a user. Good luck.

beefydoc

Reaction score
Another Vote For Isyncr, especially if using a Mac

I have got to concur with the previous recommendation on Isyncr. I have my iTunes library on a Mac. Maybe DoubleTwist and Songbird work well on the PC, but the Mac versions are, frankly, awful.
All I want to do is transfer playlists to my Droid. I spent a total of probably 4-6 hours trying to get DoubleTwist and the Songbird to transfer playlists. Forget that Doubletwist was buggy on the MAC, that it kept getting hung up, that some iTunes playlists didn't show up in DoubleTwist on the Mac, the main problem was that after syncing 6GB of songs were all in the Droid but the play lists are nowhere to be found. So I uninstalled DoubleTwist and based on comments in this thread, installed Songbird.
Songbird seemed sleek and smooth initially, much better than DoubleTwist. The first problem I encountered on Songbird for the Mac was that the add-ons Searayman said I needed in this post, MSC Device Support and MTP Device Support, are not available for the Mac version. I did install the FolderSync add-on chose my playlists, I synced the playlists I wanted, it loaded the music on my Droid. I opened up my music player, found my songs, but alas no playlists. Uninstalled Songbird.
Out of desperation, and based on others comments in this thread, I paid $2.99 for the paid version of Isyncr from the App Market. Had I known it would be so easy, I would have gladly paid 5X that much 3 days ago just to get back the hours I was fooling with DoubleTwist and Songbird. Literally I downloaded the App, opened it in the Droid. When opened, the App gives simple instructions on mounting your Android device to your computer and opening the Isyncr program. The Isyncr interface is sleek and simple. It just pulls up a list of your playlists off of iTunes, you check the ones you want to sync , press sync, and that's it. From downloading the App until I was listening to my music on my Droid was 10 minutes tops.
Those other programs may be fine on a PC,(I wouldn't bet on DoubleTwist though), but on a Mac, for less than the price of a Starbucks, Isyncr cannot be beat. That was my experience anyway.