Best way to sync music to Droid (not double twist)

vp6799

Reaction score
I used the Motorola Media Link Software to transfer songs, vids, and pics to my droid without a problem. It transferred my iTunes library and reg mp3's that I had.

Detonation

Reaction score
I've been using media monkey for years to sync various devices. For the most part it works great.

darimini

Reaction score
Personally, I hated dT. Clunky, no organizational features, no album art (okay, 50%, but what good is that?) playlist editing a mess, etc. etc.

I like Songbird so far. A few questions, but from what I've read, Songbird and MediaMonkey appear to be equally good, it's just a matter of personal preference.

darimini

Reaction score
searayman, I have a question about Songbird, and I really hope you can answer it, as I love the program so far, and just need help with this one issue...

In iTunes, I could have a song in my library and choose not to sync it to my portable device. I can't figure out how to do this in songbird.

I thought, as a workaround, I could get back into the preferences I got when I first opened the program, turn off the syncing between iTunes and Songbird, and then delete the songs I don't want on my droid from the Songbird library. BUT: I'd love it if both programs could have the same changes recorded, as I like to use my iPod on long trips so my phone's battery isn't drained.

Also, does Songbird have support for video so that it can be played on a droid? I don't mind using redkawa to convert, just hoping songbird can sync it.

I checked the songbird site for answers to both of these and all the posts discussing them were extremely old. As in, more than a year.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
God double twist for mac sucked hard for me. I finally caved and bought the isyncr for mac from the market and glad I did. Works great with itunes, I think it saves/imports the song count too (not sure though). it's not free but it's pretty inexpensive, less than $3 I think.

Edit: it's not just for mac either the pc version is on the top downloaded/bought list.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Taegost

Reaction score
I don't bother with any of those apps... I just plug my droid in, mount the SD card, and copy the files manually. It pulls up album art and everything in MixZing, and I don't have to mess around with any obnoxious programs :)
Of course, all my MP3's are from my ripped CDs, so they don't have DRM and none of the BS iTunes stuff :)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Of course, all my MP3's are from my ripped CDs, so they don't have DRM and none of the BS iTunes stuff :)
Some of mine are MP3's ripped from my CD's. Some are purchased via Amazon. Some are purchased via iTunes. None of them have DRM.

OP
S

searayman

Reaction score
i also use a program called sync toy for windows. Its not exactley a music player but its a folder syncer. It works really well and can sync both ways and has other cool options. Check it out.

R

Romple

am i the only one that uses windows 7 media player?

No you're not the only one. The new Windows Media Player is actually pretty damn good. I don't use it to sync, I only drag/drop a folder after cleaning up the tags and album art. But I use WM7 for pretty much all my music/videos now. It's good stuff.

sturgl

Reaction score
I like Songbird a lot, use it as my primary player at work. However, I've been unable to get it to see onboard storage - only the SD card (I have an Incredible). I've had some success with WMP12 on Win7 (sees both the SD card and onboard storage) - but the Incredible doesn't want to play lossless files (WMAL, FLAC - which (oddly imho) is not supported). Using WMP, album art doesn't come across with WMA files. Any thoughts on a) getting Songbird to sync to onboard storage, and b) automatic transcoding of WMAL to a lower bit-rate? Finally (sorry, I know I'm going off-topic here) c) any preferred players on the Marketplace? Android's player seems a bit lacking to me...

OP
S

searayman

Reaction score
searayman, I have a question about Songbird, and I really hope you can answer it, as I love the program so far, and just need help with this one issue...

In iTunes, I could have a song in my library and choose not to sync it to my portable device. I can't figure out how to do this in songbird.

I thought, as a workaround, I could get back into the preferences I got when I first opened the program, turn off the syncing between iTunes and Songbird, and then delete the songs I don't want on my droid from the Songbird library. BUT: I'd love it if both programs could have the same changes recorded, as I like to use my iPod on long trips so my phone's battery isn't drained.

Also, does Songbird have support for video so that it can be played on a droid? I don't mind using redkawa to convert, just hoping songbird can sync it.

I checked the songbird site for answers to both of these and all the posts discussing them were extremely old. As in, more than a year.

with song bird you can pick to sync all your music in songbird or just by playlist. So I would suggest syncing by playlist then the songs you don't want to sync do not pick its playlist.

Does that make sense? If not I can try and explain better, I went for a 12 mile run today so not exactly thinking straight right now lol

OP
S

searayman

Reaction score
I like Songbird a lot, use it as my primary player at work. However, I've been unable to get it to see onboard storage - only the SD card (I have an Incredible). I've had some success with WMP12 on Win7 (sees both the SD card and onboard storage) - but the Incredible doesn't want to play lossless files (WMAL, FLAC - which (oddly imho) is not supported). Using WMP, album art doesn't come across with WMA files. Any thoughts on a) getting Songbird to sync to onboard storage, and b) automatic transcoding of WMAL to a lower bit-rate? Finally (sorry, I know I'm going off-topic here) c) any preferred players on the Marketplace? Android's player seems a bit lacking to me...

might want to report this as a bug to the songbird team, they tend to be pretty good at adressing problems. Its probably confused by the two storage things....

darimini

Reaction score
with song bird you can pick to sync all your music in songbird or just by playlist. So I would suggest syncing by playlist then the songs you don't want to sync do not pick its playlist.

Does that make sense? If not I can try and explain better, I went for a 12 mile run today so not exactly thinking straight right now lol

Impressive (the 12-mile run)!

That does make sense, thanks!

Also, though: I'm having trouble with syncing at all. I'm sure this one is my own ignorance at play, here, since no one else seems to have had this problem, but I got the following message: "'Motorola Motorola A855' currently contains songs and playlists that do not exist in your Library. Would you like to erase all existing songs and playlists on your device and sync it with your Library?"

Now, I haven't used drag & drop ever before; this is my first time even mounting it. And I checked the music player on the droid... no music there. So my questions are:
1. If I choose "OK" when I get this message, will songbird erase all the ringtones because it thinks they're music?
2. In the future, if I purchase stuff through the amazon mp3 store, will it delete it every time it tries to sync?

OP
S

searayman

Reaction score

Impressive (the 12-mile run)!

That does make sense, thanks!

Also, though: I'm having trouble with syncing at all. I'm sure this one is my own ignorance at play, here, since no one else seems to have had this problem, but I got the following message: "'Motorola Motorola A855' currently contains songs and playlists that do not exist in your Library. Would you like to erase all existing songs and playlists on your device and sync it with your Library?"

Now, I haven't used drag & drop ever before; this is my first time even mounting it. And I checked the music player on the droid... no music there. So my questions are:
1. If I choose "OK" when I get this message, will songbird erase all the ringtones because it thinks they're music?
2. In the future, if I purchase stuff through the amazon mp3 store, will it delete it every time it tries to sync?

ok now dont hold me to it but i am pretty sure it shouldn't erase the ringtones if you hit ok....lol, i know that wasn't exactly the answer you are looking for