Best way to get Root?

Dolfan

Reaction score
I have not rooted yet, I do have the latest update installed on my TBolt, what is the software/best way to root the Tbolt now..

Bob

Nyobie

Reaction score
If you've already upgraded your phone's Software via Over The Air (OTA) download, you can go to this link and find the instructions that I just finished following:
[HOW-TO]Downgrade to get S-OFF after updating to latest OTA 2.11.605.9

So far, so good! But be warned that you'll lose the data on your phone if you don't back it up first. Before going through each step, verify which version of software you're using by going to Settings > About Phone > Software Information. Your software number should be 2.11.605.X where X is a number 6 or higher. The instructions will revert you back to a prior version of software that's compatible with the ROMs available for our Thunderbolt phones. You shouldn't attempt to install a ROM on your phone unless you make your version 2.11.605.5 first.

OP
Dolfan

Dolfan

Reaction score
Ok....I will take a look at that link.......contact wise, would you not gain that info back once signing back into a goggle account?

Nyobie

Reaction score
No because there is user data that accumulates on your phone as you use various apps. The user data is wiped as well.

Another warning: I ran into an endless boot loop issue when I woke up this morning and saw my phone with a display that contained a blue android symbol (the one that's normally a light green color) and a triangle with an exclamation point inside it. I'm working to figure out how to disable the VZ Updater routine. After you revert to the earlier version of SW on your phone, Verizon will detect that you're using an earlier version of SW for your phone model so the phone attempts to automatically update your SW back to the version you just came from. You can get out of this endless loop via the 'menu' button on the phone when you reach that screen or if you can still access the apps on your phone, you can manually disable the Updater through Settings but that's only temporary. I'm now looking for an app that will recognize my phone to be 's-off' so I can freeze the Updater app and any other bloatware I don't want to load at startup but that's a subject for another thread.

Good luck!!

CORRECTION: You're correct about the contacts for your phonebook. I hadn't finished my first cup of coffee this morning when I replied. My apologies.

UPDATE the evening of the same day I posted the info above: I reviewed the video on the rooting process and realize that in the process of being interrupted by someone while I was rooting last night, I missed an important step at the end of the process. I hadn't selected the 3rd of 3 zip files I was installing last night. Once I completed the last step, I have ROOT confirmed with S-OFF and also no more error message about a missing bin file. I'm now searching for an app that will allow me to select apps to freeze so I can avoid the endless bootloop which leads to a soft brick condition where the phone becomes unresponsive to key presses of any kind and the only way to get the phone operational again is to go into RECOVERY and clear cache. What a pain!

Last edited:
OP
Dolfan

Dolfan

Reaction score
I think I will hold off for now....I got an app to allow me to tether my laptop when needed for when I'm away from home....

Sent via DROID Thunderbolt...the forgotten one

Nyobie

Reaction score
Ok, good luck! Let me know if you change your mind. By then, I ought to have figured out some of the quirks to rooting with a reverted version of SW. I think I have a compatibility issue with residual files from the newer version but this is only my gut speaking, nothing tangible I've come across to prove it. In any case, I'm a paying customer for both the Data Plan and Hotspot so I'm not looking to do anything illegal. I just want to freeze bloatware that shouldn't be 'locked' onto the phone display if the user doesn't want it there and I'm pretty much using this opportunity to learn more about the Android OS just for fun.