Ok... I think you have convinced me to get the d-3 instead of the 4. I currently have a d-1 and can upgrade march-1. I feel if I use my upgrade and get the d-3 for free ( if that offer is even still available) then when the d-5 or d-6 comes out with more significant upgrades I would have to pay full price or wait the 2 yrs and be into a d-30 or there abouts. I would like to take advantage of the significant lowered market value of the d-3 and would be ok with spending 100 - 200 on a used d-3 but am very concerned about getting a defective one if I go the ebay route. Am I missing any options???