Best way to ensure a clean rom install?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by ckamc, Apr 21, 2010.

1. ckamc

ckamc New Member

So I was in the middle of switch around away from UD10 to the lastest Cyanogenmod.

Now the first time I set everything up to try apps2sd and found how unstable it was.

tried doing a clean re-install but kept running into glicthes.

wiped and only had nandroid backups left at the time so wiped to one.

jumped back into clockworksmod and did an update.zip to NexTheme Droid v2

now its power cycling.

Everything looks like a mix of one of my old backgrounds instead of the one shown in the rom page but icons are layed out like stock and apps were missing.

whats the best way for me to have a themed Cyanogen?
  2. bL33d

bL33d Member

use clockwork recovery instead of sprecovery and go in to partition menu then format boot,data,system and cache then install the rom thats what i do everytime.
  3. ckamc

ckamc New Member

Would having your SD card still formatted to possibly accept apps2sd possibly still allow it to mess up the stability of a rom?
  4. bL33d

bL33d Member

i wouldent think so
  5. BlacknTan

BlacknTan New Member

It may. Cyanogen may be reading apps off of your SD card. I switched over from UD10 too and I had a lot of force closes because of the apps on my apps2sd partition. I'll walk you through how to fix it.

1. Restore a backup of a working ROM

2. Boot up your Droid, mount the sdcard, and backup anything important from off of your sdcard on to your computer. (Note.. MAKE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR NANDROID FOLDER JUST IN CASE)

3. Turn off APPS2SD (if you have it on), Download Rom Manager from the market and pay for the premium version (it's worth it).

4. Click on the Rom Manager icon, and then click on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery

5. Click on Partition SD card in the Rom Manager menu and let Rom Manager repartition the card and format your data.

6. Backup your current rom just in case.

7. download NexRom-5.0.6.2 from here (NOT NexThemeV2.0... that's just the theme files), reboot into recovery and apply the update. (no need to rename it to update.zip if you're using clockwork).

edit: re-reading your OP, the problem also could be that you tried flashing the theme file and not the whole ROM. I'd format the sdcard just in case though... at the least format the sd-ext partition.
  6. dub8420

dub8420 New Member

Mine says cannot bedone with a column of no's and then a wipe partion in the middle of each option. Do that?
  7. BlacknTan

BlacknTan New Member

Yes. Wipe it.
  8. cooltool

cooltool New Member

Is there a difference between wiping Data and Cache during a ROM install than to go into partition menu and formatting there?
  9. Droids

Droids New Member

No, no difference. When you pick a ROM from the manager and choose to wipe data and cache, The phone will reboot, wipe those 2 partitions, and apply the new rom automatically. It's good enough most times, but I've a little better luck when I just download the rom to the phone, then boot manually to Clockwork recovery, and wipe all 4 partitions, then install the rom and then any other updates like Google Apps, etc. and reboot.

I also went with apps2sd when I installed 5.0.6.1 and when I upgraded to 6.2 I didn't do any wiping at all. All my apps and data were there and working fine. I then applied some smoke glass for the theme and all is well. For me, apps2sd works flawlessly, and if you are moving from one cm rom to a minor update to that rom, there is no need to wipe data and cache.
  10. ckamc

ckamc New Member

only problem I have is I am negative in my bank account so I cant get premiumk version til monday.

Tried switching to a completely different rom (chevy 3.1) and I STILL get the same issue. OS being completely unstable if I try to use wifi or "making it work hard" on 3g.

I am about ready to chuck this phone out the window because I never had a problem with UD stuff... but I wanted to use the respectable rom so I switched.

... and its been down hill since apps2sd

I am considering unrooting and seeing if the problems still continue... and if they do I might just try and FRU the phone out 4 times before november to try and get into the next qwerty android release *like LG*
  11. BlacknTan

BlacknTan New Member

Ok. Before you do that, try to use adb to format system, data, and cache. That's your best bet. It will completely wipe every trace of any old rom code out. You can search for instructions on how to do that on the forum.

AFter that's done, try installing a stable ROM and see how that goes.
  12. ckamc

ckamc New Member

I been meaning to setup ADB on my pc... looks like I have an activity for sunday :)
  13. GivenToFly

GivenToFly New Member

anytime I switch roms i do the following procedure, and I never have any issues.

use adb to wipe the phone

adb shell
    format SYSTEM:
    format DATA:
    format CACHE:
    format BOOT:

i usually do that twice to satisfy my OCD.

then I install the nandroid backup
    do a factory reset
    enjoy new rom.

If I'm using an apps2SD rom, i'll format my SD card first too. I used to have problems with pieces of an old rom hanging around for some reason until I started doing adb wipes. It only adds a couple of minutes to the process.
  14. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Check the sig:
  15. GivenToFly

GivenToFly New Member

I didn't recommend he format twice, I just said I do it because doing it that way, i've had no problems. I've had issues before where when I formatted each once, I didn't get the boot animation that should have been with the rom, or I've seen some saved settings left over from the previous rom. I've never seen that since formatting twice.
  16. ckamc

ckamc New Member

So I have been thru 24hrs after being able to pay for rom manager premium

have to say, im ok so far but I haven't tried wifi yet since I there is a bug like what I used to have on my old corrupt setup I was using

so there you have it, pay for **** when people tell you in repeated comments.
Search tags for this page

android clean rom install

android new rom clean install

android rom clean install

clean install android rom

clean install rom

clean rom install android

how to clean install android rom

how to clean install rom

how to clean install rom android

how to do a clean install of rom

how to do a clean rom install