Best way to change ROM and keep data?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Royal2000H, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Royal2000H

Royal2000H Member

Ratings:
    +0
    LONG VERSION
    I have DM 1.0 and like it for the most part. However, I get force closes probably 10 times a day. I've also had the phone freeze up a few times but can't remember if it's only been since I installed Helix or beforehand.

Anyway, now that I have a week to tinker with my phone, I see that a lot has changed recently and 2.1 was leaked and ROM makers have worked their magic.

I know the main big ones are BB, Dominator, Cyanogen, and I guess Smoked Glass too. I used MetaMorph to put Xeudoxus's xHero theme but I'm not sure if I feel I *need* a theme anymore. I just want a phone that will be super quick and stable and jam packed with goodies. But "best rom" is for a different place and time.

Here's my situation:
    I have probably about 100 apps, and I know the best way to put in a ROM is to wipe everything.
    I have a bunch of Contacts but that's on the Google Cloud so thats fine.
    I have GV so my texts are fine, but I'd rather not lose the MMS/SMS I have on my phone still.
    I have Google Calendar settings I want to be saved.
    I don't want my home icons to be unorganized. Now that I use Helix, I guess I'm talking about Helix and not Home icons...

Which leads me to..:

SHORT VERSION:
    Coming from DM 1.0, how do I go about putting in a new 2.1 ROM and keeping all my stuff and not sacrificing stability?

Do I:
    -Just not wipe when installing
    -Do a Nandroid restore after installing
    -Use something like MyBackup Pro
    -Use something like Titanium Backup (Is there a difference between this and MyBackup Pro?)
    -Do something else (Suggest please)

#1 Royal2000H, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. ldimick

ldimick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I went through that exercise tonight. Titanium backup worked really awesome for me.

3. Royal2000H

Royal2000H Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response ldimick!

Do you know to what extent is backs up and restores?
    For example, will it
    Turn on Google Sync and Sync with Facebook (if that's how I have it set up)
    And will it know which Calendars I have configured to sync with the phone and which ones I don't?
    Also will my ringtone settings be saved (abc for callers, xyz for notifications)?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to learn the most painless transition, and I'm sure it would be great public knowledge as well!

4. pandroid

pandroid Theme Developer
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    titanium backup, backsup (or is it backups's) all of your installed apps including their settings/data/market links. it also makes a backup of your wifi access points.

will you lose call history/sms history? im not sure... i dont remember

youll have to relogin to your google account and add any other email/facebook account you had as well, and that will resync all your contacts/calendar appointments

ringtone options should be saved by TB, but dont quote me on that

#4 pandroid, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  5. ldimick

ldimick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It kept SMS and call logs. But Pandroid has it right. It does keep your email account settings though. It saved my bacon after ROM Manager's use of Nandroid acted up.

Well worth the $2 or $3.

6. Royal2000H

Royal2000H Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, thanks guys. Now I just need to see how it compares to MyBackup Pro on reliability and features before I pay up those $4.

From what I understand My Backup Pro used to be feature limited, but in a recent build (I dont know how recent that actually is) they added the app data functionality for root users - which makes it like Titanium Backup I guess. The question is, which deserves my trust (and money) in this procedure.

I already have your 2 votes for Titanium.
    Can anyone give input on MyBackup Pro?

7. gmpdmd

gmpdmd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have not used mybackup pro. I use Titanium also. So one more vote for it. It has worked great as I am now on my third custom rom in two weeks:)

8. Royal2000H

Royal2000H Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you guys backup "all user apps + system data"?
    It seems a lot of the system data says 2.01, I don't want that to mess up a 2.1 install though..
    Anyone done this?

9. NeverEndingXsin

Ratings:
    +0
    If your going from 2.01 to 2.1 then just backup your apps and text messages because you'll do a data/cache wipe before installing a 2.1 rom

10. r1nstang

r1nstang Member

Ratings:
    +0
    my backup pro can backup contacts, call log, bookmarks, sms, mms, system settings, android home, alarms, dictionary, calender, music playlist, and it backs up stuff I have in AK notepad too

11. Royal2000H

Royal2000H Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So basically I shouldn't backup the red stuff?
    Only the green and black (except for wireless tether which shows up as red..)

12. Keramidas

Keramidas New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the white-colored items are user apps and always 100% safe to backup and restore.

The green-colored items are the most useful system elements that you will want to backup. Just avoid the "Settings" items if you switch between very different ROMs (eg: 1.5 to 2.1). Phone settings are quick to setup by hand anyway :)

MyBackup Pro is a bit more suited for backing up all system settings between very different ROMs. Titanium Backup is perfect for backing up all apps with their settings, and even keeping several versions of each.

Search tags for this page

best way to switch roms

can rom data change

change rom keep apps

change rom keep data

change roms keep game progress

how to change custom rom and keep data

how to save data when changing roms

install new rom keep apps

is there easy way to swap android roms?
when changing android roms is there any way to save your mus