Best way to add custom recovery to otherwise stock ROOTED FRG83D??

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by pudah, Feb 23, 2011.

1. pudah

pudah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got a replacement phone recently and it came loaded with FRG83D. I used ABD and some nice instructions to gain root and add busybox, but haven't done anything else. I dont want any custom ROM this time around, or to change much. I may play with another kernel for overclocking later, but for now all I want is what I have with the ability to backup/restore images. Previously I was on a stock-like ROM and had nandroid backup for recovery.

Ive found and read a bunch of tutorials here about adding a custom recovery image. I did it once before, but it's been a long time. My concern is that these are all either part of a bigger easy update/root/rom package which I am not interested in, or they are old and written for 2.0-2.1. Will these instructions still work? here and here

Alternately is there a better method, better instructions or something more relevant to my version and what I'm trying to do? Keep in mind that I am already rooted and running the version I want, and it is stable, so I don't want to change anything except to add the ability to backup/recover. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. dodgersrgood

dodgersrgood Member

Ratings:
    +0
    rom manager is probably the easiest way to get a recovery. or if its just in update.zip format like rzr recovery

3. pudah

pudah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Im not looking for the easiest necessarily. I dont THINK I want ROM Manager because Im not looking to add any ROMs or modify anything otherwise. I want to be able to boot into recovery by holding X, and install update.zip files, create a backup image or restore a backup image. As mentioned, I used nandroid before, and I believe SP Recovery before that. I'd prefer nandroid or SP (is nandroid part of clockwork?). I just want to put the recovery tool on there though. I am comfortable using ADB with instructions.

ETA-I could be wrong about Rom Manager. Am I mistaking how it works and what it will do?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  4. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35
    +1

DroidForums Junkie!!

5. dodgersrgood

dodgersrgood Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure clockwork backups only work with clockwork and same with sprecovery.. could be wrong tho. But if that's the case then you'd need whatever your previous backups were with. I know sprecovery backups are stored in nandroid folder on sd card. And with rom manager, in your case, you can just install it, flash whichever recovery you need, and then uninstall it if you aren't gonna do anything else with it. No need to download/install roms from it

6. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Exactly right! I install RM about a week ago to flash CW to clear my battery stats. I then flashed SPRecovery back and uninstalled RM :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

7. pudah

pudah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I gave it a shot. I think I had SP Recovery before, but had clockwork even before that. It worked and I seem to have only what I want changed. The backup seems to be larger, and a took about 3x longer than SP Recovery did, but it's there, just in case nonetheless.

Just to be clear though, if I wanted to install some ROM, or a custom kernel or whatever, using update.zip, I can do that with the installed Clockwork Recovery?

8. pudah

pudah Member

Ratings:
    +0

How do you go about using this to install SP?

Thanks everyone, by the way.

9. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    Rzrecovery does everything clockwork does, including restore clockwork backups and wiping battery stats. It also allows charging from within recovery and is overclocked so everything is sped up.

This came from my brain by way of my finger and my phone. Don't ask where any of them have been. Especially the brain.

10. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +274
    +1 to RZR and if you have root, and you don't like the easy way you can adb command recovery on.

Also, you can sbf RZR and SPR on too.

In order for it to stick, you will have to remove the FRS script though.

11. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    RZR is superior in all ways to CW except it doesn't work with ROM Mangler. :) You have to do things manually, which works better anyway.

12. pudah

pudah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well it worked just fine. Thanks again. Now I might play with flashing different recoveries to see what I like best. This is my third droid this year, and the first setup that has everything I want without the bad redraw issues, so I hesitate to do too much more. I only intent on keeping the phone until 4g is in my area and I upgrade to a nice new, well, I dont know what the next phone will be... something android.

13. williewonka

williewonka Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the same frg phone and tried rooting it last night with no success. But I think I also brick it but not sure I reset it to the original setting using the hard reset then it let me reactive it but I look this morning and still not working. Have you ever have the same problem?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

14. pudah

pudah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No I haven't. I rooted from scratch with no recovery or anything. I used a method to push some stuff via ADB and it worked very well. If you are comfortable & familiar with this, it seems to be the most reliable if not trying to flash with a ROM or upgrade from a previously rooted phone with a lower version. I don't have the link to the instructions now, but I found them by searching "Rooting FRG83D". I can post a link later tonight.

15. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +274
    You have an og Droid in addition to the X you are posting from?

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).