1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Best thing to do?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2' started by garrettcorn, Oct 7, 2011.

1. garrettcorn

garrettcorn New Member

Well today i dropped my droid 2 :( and cracked the screen. I am not sure what i should do..

I have insurance, so can make a claim and get a new phone that way. (i have never done that so some pointers how to do that would be appreciated!)
    would also like to know what kind of phone i would get if i did go this route

or

my upgrade is in less then 3 months. should i just wait to get a new better phone? my phone is still usable just irritating seeing all of the hairline cracks in it.
    if i did get a new phone or upgrade now which phone(s) would you recommended?

Thanks!
  2. RobKort

RobKort Atrix Rescue Squad Premium Member

I know for sure that if you decide to do an insurance claim they will give you the same thing you have for a charge, $50-$100 it depends. The only catch here is that you will be getting a refurbished unit. Not only that, if you are not rooted and have Titanium installed on your device you will lose all the apps that you have on it. Then begine the tedious task of downloading them one by one again. There are some great phone coming out in the next couple of weeks/months, I'd say wait and endure the pain.
  3. mattv111

mattv111 New Member

Just get another one. Its not like that will reset your upgrade
  4. Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4 New Member

Actually, I wouldn't be so sure that you will get the exact same model you had. Being a D2 the chances are very good, although even VZW was out of refurbs when I needed my initial replacement. Also, I thought the point of insurance was that you do not pay to replace a phone?

Also in terms of app back ups, Titanium Backup is not the only solution, just the most popular. Google, if you agree, can back up your app/dames and their data to their own servers giving you the ability to restore these apps and data over 3G or Wi-Fi with out a need for root or a second party app(not a knock on TB, Joel,the Developer, is an awesome guy and certainly open to ideas for improvements if they are good).

Now moving on the OP, I would head in to a VZW store nearby and show them what happened to your phone. If you are three months out from an upgrade, they may be willing to work with you to reach a deal. Our local store manager gave us free activation(about a $70 value) for paying the early termination fee to ATT. If they will not work with you, you may be able to just start a new 2 year agreement to get the discount price. You can also look in to the repair price. I think people can do it for about $50 but don;t quote me on that.
  5. RobKort

RobKort Atrix Rescue Squad Premium Member

You still pay to replace a phone. There is a subsidy that needs to get paid for it. It could be anything between $25-$200 depending on how new/old the phone is unfortunately. Basically the insurance grant you the benefit to get the same phone for a much lower price. But 99% of the cases they give you a refurbished unit.

Sent from my TapadaAtrix :)
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  6. AGuyWithADroid

AGuyWithADroid New Member

In my opinion you should wait and get a better phone because in the end your wait will have been worth getting a better

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  7. MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL New Member

This happened to me when I had t-mobile. I dropped my phone in the gym. I couldn't stand it. My net got slow so I called & told them about the net issues. After much trouble shooting, they sent me a new one & I sent them the cracked one. Nothing ever came of it. I'm not sure how good companys look at returned phones as I did this this one time & another with Verizon when I bricked my droid2. I told them the OTA GB update messed up my (rooted)phone & they sent me another one.
    But i'd wait & get something new. Or you can try what I did, use the phone they send you, & then sell it when it's time to upgrade. :icon_ lala:
  8. Insidious

Insidious New Member

I've don't the same thing with my bricked D2G's like 2 or 3 times ;) (if the battery is dead and won't charge.)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums