Best SMS App?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't get in on any ground floor with textra.
When they first added ads with the option to remove, there was a 2 week trial and then we were asked if we wanted to remove ads for .99 in some pop up or something.
Never mind, it wasn't you I was thinking of but Vulcan 1600 or somebody that got it about the time I did just a few weeks prior to them giving the support option to remove ads. It was right about the time Handcent went to ads that looked like texts in your inbox that prompted a subscription fee to remove them.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I used Textra for about a week and liked it but hated the ads as I am so prone to quickly scrolling to the top and tapping when I get a new message. I am SURE that's why they do it. I was going to delete it but then remembered that I had a few dollars in Google Rewards so I figured it was a good place to burn them up.

Note 4tified

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I have Google reward money but I'd love hangouts to be updated. I hate going to two different messaging apps.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I have Google reward money but I'd love hangouts to be updated. I hate going to two different messaging apps.
I used hangouts for SMS for about a week a few weeks ago after my Messages+ issues... I liked it but didn't love it... I really liked Yaata but had some issues with that sending MMS with Wifi on.

What I REALLY need is SMS and MMS over Wifi. I don't need calls over Wifi but SMS and MMS would be HUGE for me. I know hangouts is supposed to but for some reason it didn't seem to work well for me.

D._Manley

Reaction score
I simply refuse to even consider any preinstalled Verizon apps. ;)
The track record is not good. That said, I have been pleasantly surprised to find their Messenger+ & Basic Visual Voice Mail apps superb. Prior to those two, the only pre-installed Verizon app I used was My Verizon. In the case of Messenger+, it's infinitely customizable & getting better with each update so maybe there's still hope for Big Red.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
The track record is not good. That said, I have been pleasantly surprised to find their Messenger+ & Basic Visual Voice Mail apps superb. Prior to those two, the only pre-installed Verizon app I used was My Verizon. In the case of Messenger+, it's infinitely customizable & getting better with each update so maybe there's still hope for Big Red.

Same for me. Prior to the Turbo I had a Razr M and I had installed 8SMS for texting. Now I am using Message+ and happy with it. The only feature I miss from 8SMS is that I could see when a text had been sent, not only when received.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
8SMS was my mainstay for a very long time. Debating returning to it or buying this.

Tap'n Turbo

Hodor

Reaction score
Sad but true. It used to be free, but I was one of the lucky ones who got it for only 99 cents. Have no idea what they want for it now

D._Manley

Reaction score
Same for me. Prior to the Turbo I had a Razr M and I had installed 8SMS for texting. Now I am using Message+ and happy with it. The only feature I miss from 8SMS is that I could see when a text had been sent, not only when received.
Text are marked sent by default but if you mean delivery status you can enable it under Settings - Advanced.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I got the "Your free trial is over" warning. Boo.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Text are marked sent by default but if you mean delivery status you can enable it under Settings - Advanced.

Thanks, yes, I knew that, I have it enabled. I was referring to the received messages, not those I send. For example, if somebody sent me a text while the phone was off (i.e: after I went to bed), with 8SMS I could see the time it had actually been sent, not only the time when it had been received, which in that case would be as soon as I turned the phone on in the morning.

With Message+ the "time sent" of the received text messages is not reported in Message Info (long press on message)

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
How do you know if you are on a paid version of Textra? I don't see anything in the settings. I don't have ads. I want to say it's been about 2 weeks or so since I switched to it.

Sent from my Verizon G4