Best/Safest Backup

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
I am running .593 rooted and would like to start tweaking and try a ROM or two. I currently have ROM Toolbox, Root Explorer and Titanium Backup Pro installed. what else do i need if anything to make a full backup before flashing my first ROM?

Any other pointers are appreciated!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
TB should be it -- I've never used anything else, and I've never had any problems with it (as long as I use the restore on the same phone or type of phone).

wseyller

Reaction score
You need a custom recovery such as bootstrap or safestrap. This allows you to make nandroid backups. This is a tool that you reboot into instead of booting the os.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
2THEXTRM

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
So for a full back up, I choose user apps and system data? do I need to UN freeze apps prior to backup?

I don't find safestrap on market, only bootstrap. is it under different name?

wseyller

Reaction score
So for a full back up, I choose user apps and system data? do I need to UN freeze apps prior to backup?

I don't find safestrap on market, only bootstrap. is it under different name?

well that is not exactly a full backup. If you want a full backup of the entire ROM then you need to also do a nandroid backup in a custom recovery. I would also do a separate backup in titanium of the user apps and system data. Titanium backups are good for selective restore of apps or system data. You never really want to restore everything from titanium to a new ROM when the backups came from a different ROM. Causes issues sometimes. Nandroids are good if you dont like a ROM and want to restore the entire previous ROM.

you wont find safestrap in the market. Also im not even sure the bootstrap you found in the market is even compatible with the bionic. There are some versions of bootstrap recoveries that may only work on certain phones. You can find either one in the forums somewhere

I just looked in the market and it seems they label it very good. As long as it is the version for the bionic.

Last edited:
OP
2THEXTRM

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I downloaded hashcodes Bionic Safestrap and I'm doing some phone housekeeping to make sure the backup I create is good.

I have not been able to verify if the frozen bloatware in Tibu should be unfrozen prior to backup in safestrap. I want to still be able to Unfreeze if any new OTA updates come out.

wseyller

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I downloaded hashcodes Bionic Safestrap and I'm doing some phone housekeeping to make sure the backup I create is good.

I have not been able to verify if the frozen bloatware in Tibu should be unfrozen prior to backup in safestrap. I want to still be able to Unfreeze if any new OTA updates come out.

You dont need to unfreeze. When you restore the backup in Safestrap it will put you back into the same state you were before you backed up. After you restore just thaw out then before you take an ota.

OP
2THEXTRM

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Nice, thats what I was hoping. been studying rooting n roming for awhile. time to backup and start playing:)

Thanks again for your help

Batman8

Reaction score
Has ANYONE been able to successfully RESTORE a backup of your Bionic using Rom Manager? I used to use it all the time on my OG Droid and it was great back then. Since then however, I was NEVER able to get it to completely work on my Droid-X at all (backed up fine, but always crashed when restoring and then had to wipe all data to get the phone back running again). This of course drove me crazy, so I reached out to Koush (the developer of RM) 5-6 times desperately asking for help since every time I used his app I ended up having to do a data wipe and start all over...and that ass hole NEVER, EVER even responded which has been about a year or so now!!!!

Since I had already purchased RM, I tried it again recently on my Bionic and it just gave me errors as it tried to make the backup, and "yes" I also have the Bionic Bootstrap app and successfully created a CW recovery but still get errors (sorry, that I don't remember the exact error but it errored out and just left me in recovery and would NOT make the backup at all).

Therefore, I now have very little faith in his app at this point since it has caused me so many headaches in the past, but I DO need something that will give me a "complete" backup like a nandroid BU. I am currently on .893 but am thinking about upgrading to .901 later today if I can at least find a good method for creating a back up that I can at least use after making it.

Any ideas?...thanks.

bygslym69

Reaction score
Make sure your backup is on sd card ext. I also go in the setting on ROM manger and check the box to save all backups on as card ext. my ROM manager is 4.8.0.7 cwm 5.0.2.5