1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Best Rom For Moto Droid???

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by haxerpaylay, Jan 12, 2011.

1. haxerpaylay

haxerpaylay New Member

What's the best rom for Motorola Droid. I have tried a couple and they all seem to run very slow, and are unresponsive.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my Droid.
  2. mjforte

mjforte Member

Which ones have you tried? I was using Chevy's Simply Stunning for awhile and I liked it and right now I am using Ultimate Droid, which I also like. I also tried Project Elite for a while and it seemed fine. Also what kernel are you using? That could make a difference in performance too.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  3. haxerpaylay

haxerpaylay New Member

I'm using ChevyNo1 ulV 1.25ghz. But I only keep it at 550mhz. Never above because I just want it to run Cooler and use less battery.

Any suggestions???

4. Dan_08

Dan_08 New Member

Try sourcery, tons of options and the support is great. And it is pretty snappy....but not too sure how fast any of them will be at 550mhz. Sourcery has options built to switch kernels on the fly and you can use CPU boost to adjust your setting to get optimal performance and battery life. (read thread first and then start at 1.1 >1.2>1.3)

Either way good luck, always fun to try out new Roms!
  5. mjforte

mjforte Member

Since using that kernel have you always experienced it being slow and laggy? Maybe your phone can't take the ultra low voltage kernel. Not every Droid is the same so maybe try a low voltage kernel next and see if that helps.

6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I've always been partial to the one that came with the phone. That's why I never use Custom ROMS.
  7. mkjellgren

mkjellgren New Member

First of all, if you are going to underclock (550mhz is actually undetclocking since 600mhz has been the stock frequency since the 2.2 update) there is absolutely no reason to run a 1.25 ulv kernal. You are just robbing yourself of frequency slots which will improve performance and battery life.

Second, you can feel completely comfortable overclocking to at least 800mhz without heat or battery issues as long as you use some sort of frequency throttling app such as setcpu. For example, by doing so you can lower your clock speed while the screen is off or if cpu or battery temps get too high.

All in all you are actually greatly inhibiting your potential performance by using such a high frequency kernal and underclocking as you are. If you want to go the cautious route try chevys 800mhz ulv or lv options or give slayhers 800 mhz lv version a try. I promise you your performance will be much better no matter which rom you are running.

8. haxerpaylay

haxerpaylay New Member

So what should I set the profiles to in set CPU?

9. mkjellgren

mkjellgren New Member

Depends on the kernal and what frequencies your phone can handle. I set my main profile to 400-1100 and my screen off profile to 250-400. Some people will go 250-250 or even 125-125 for screen off depending on the kernal. However I find that going too low can cause problems with slow wake ups and missed calls. I also have a profile set up to lower the frequency to 250-800 while charging and 250-600 when the battery level goes below 20% or cpu temp goes above 55C.

10. iamasongnow

iamasongnow New Member

11. mzhenderson

mzhenderson New Member

I'm currently using liquid frozen yogurt and I like it

12. Jarmer

Jarmer New Member

I've tried Bugless, UD, Cyanogen, Chevy, and Liquid, and I like Liquid's the best. It's just simply the smoothest, fastest, and least buggy of them all I've found. I've been running LFY 1.95 since it came out and it's by far and wide the best custom ROM I've ever used.

Combine LFY 1.95 + homescreen-lock-in-memory hack ---> best droid ever!
  13. mzhenderson

mzhenderson New Member

I agree!! Liquid is the best one!!

14. Kryptyk

Kryptyk New Member

just and FYI. Your not going to get "your" answer in the forums. Just suggestions. I got my droid about a month and a half ago. Came to the forums, did a lot of research and then it took me about 2 weeks to find a rom and a kernal that I liked and worked well with each other. This meaning I went through about 4 roms and really only 2 kernals. But it takes time. Your gonna get stressed out but in the end you will be more satisfied and the information that it took to accomplish this task will stick with you longer.

Seriously, for new people, do a little research first, then come ask questions. Part of the whole experience of rooting your phone and installing roms and such is figuring it out ourself. You really cant break your phone. So just try new things.
  15. UNC

UNC New Member

Cyanogenmod hands down.
    Its the most updated and the smoothest rom with the best features!
  16. hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid New Member

The best rom for [insert phone here] is definately [insert favorite ROM] because it lets me [insert favorite feature].

Everyone has their favorites, most people disagree on the best. The only way to find the best one for you is to try as many as you can. Give them a week or so to really try them out.

I would definately go over 550mhz though, at least to 800mhz, you aren't going to have heat batt issues with that. I ran 1ghz on my D1 and never noticed a drop in batt life. And no heat issues.
  17. mzhenderson

mzhenderson New Member

Well FYI everyone had been very helpful to me.I've learned a lot of things I didn't know. Yes I have did mist on my own but thus forum helps a lot. So everything you said, I've already done