Best ROM for Droid Bionic

Discussion in 'Droid Bionic Roms' started by jk81033, Feb 10, 2013.

1. kwest12

kwest12 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just an FYI Carbon is no longer being updated for the Bionic.

2. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Update: Last time I took photos with the phone in low light conditions, the flash DID work, so that issue has been resolved.

3. bpambrose

bpambrose New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Blurry-JB_1.0 very stable have had no problems at all. Upgrade to 2.5.1 using the included OTA updater. Have tried most Bionic JB roms available and this Blurry rom tops them all (IMO).

• Like Like x 1
  4. kamisan

kamisan Member

Ratings:
    +1

yep no update since 6-30. good rom too. more tweaks and features than anything i have loaded up. not sure why the support dropped off except the age of the bionic. Still waiting for GS4 prices to drop more,, usually 6 months after release they drop ALOT.. GS3 is $49 at a lot of places, my wife got hers for .94 cents.... still like the bionic but bigger better calls,,

5. kwest12

kwest12 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Someone elsewhere noted that they had PMed the developer who had been porting it and he said he was done. Apparently he was too busy or he got a new phone. I don't recall exactly what the reasoning was.

6. deduct

deduct Senior Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Yeah its a shame. Bionic is solid just outdated for sure. I really enjoy blurry on mine and I have heard that people have had great success with liquidsmooth ROM. I have run the latest liquid on my maxx and it is pretty good. Even has fully functional halo app which is really cool.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ScottyDsntKnow

Ratings:
    +5
    Bionic is about at EOL as far as even the users and devs are concerned. Got a bad deal with the Razr being so close on its heels with the better screen etc but I still love mine. Still does everything I want it to, is still quick, the extended battery is going strong etc... When I hear the Galaxy S3/S4 or iCrap guys asking to borrow chargers at work around 2PM and I look at my Bionic with like 70% battery left and no charge at all since it came out of the car at 6:30 AM I chuckle a bit. I'm not even sure if I'll upgrade in March when my wife is due to come off contract. We both still have unlimited and she will want to upgrade via our ghost line and keep the unlimited but I don't see a need for me. Plus when she loses hers that means I have a spare extended battery, spare case and a great working parts phone to keep me going until I can't run the apps I need to anymore.

8. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Au contraire

Now that the Android community has found a way around Motorola's encrypted boot loader I'm more optimistic than ever for my trusty old Bionic. Thanks to the CyanogenMod team, I now have an up-to-date kernel at 4.2.2, complete with security patches Google released, but Motorola/Verizon never rolled out to our devices.

Based on the nightly builds rolling out now, it won't be too much longer till a version of CyanogenMod at the 4.3 kernel level will be out soon, too. Right now they've got RC1 of the final CyanogenMod based on the 4.2.2 kernel available too.

Motorola/Verizon may've forgotten about us, but the developer community has not.

9. kwest12

kwest12 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    All good points about CM, but unfortunately, it seems like fast moving ROMs like that are never truly stable. It's a shame, because I really want something that's optimized, has additional cool features and is without bugs. Seems to me that no such thing exists for the Bionic. :/

10. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Your mileage may vary, of course, but CM 10.1 has been the MOST stable ROM I've used since I got the Bionic (and that includes the stock ROM from Motorola/Verizon). It is PURE AOSP plus additional features not present in any other ROM. You have your choice: if you want "Bleeding Edge" then go with the nightlies... but if you want "Stable," then the stable versions of each release are as rock solid as anything else I've seen. CM is also the single largest custom ROM project out there, with a lot more "eyes" on the code than some of the other variants available for the Bionic. Eclipse was good... CM 10.1 is better. Can't wait to see what's in store with CM 10.2 and beyond.

11. kwest12

kwest12 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So is everything working on CM? Camera, Bluetooth, sms, mms, GPS, etc? Those seem to be the things that are most often broken or partially crippled...

There also seems to be a quicker "Android-Rot" with custom ROMs. What I mean by that is, like Windows, Android performance degrades over time because of factors I'm unaware of. As with Windows, maintenance and being a smart user helps, but ultimately the only way to fix it is to wipe everything and start fresh. Anyway, in my experience, it seems like custom ROMs, especially for phones without fully unlocked bootloaders, suffer more quickly than the alternative stock (rooted) ROMs.

12. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Everything you listed works just fine. The CM page for the Bionic says that the flash only works in "Preview Mode" but I think that's old information as the flash seems to be working just fine. I don't send that many MMS messages, but those I've sent worked just fine as well as the few I've received. No issues at all with GPS, Bluetooth, or SMS (and those I use several times a day every day).

Battery life is also CONSIDERABLY better than any other ROM I've used to date. There are a few more KEXEC ROMS out there now like CM, but most of the older ROMS were based on the Motorola code with parts stripped away. As I stated earlier, CM is pure AOSP, without a TRACE of "MotoBlur" or anything else from Verizon or Motorola. I think the lack of all of that bloatware running away in the background is the cause of most of the battery drain and progressively more sluggish performance people report in Android phones. Nowadays, a charge lasts all day, even if I leave the phone in 4G/LTE mode all the time (I used to leave the phone in 3G/CDMA mode to stretch out the battery previously).

I was going to pitch my Bionic when the contract ended and switch over to T-Mobile and a Nexus phone on their unlimited data plan... but now I can keep my unlimited data AND stick with Verizon's heftier network knowing that the Bionic will continue to get updates to keep it current. The only thing the newer phones offer that I don't have is NFC... but if I haven't had it before, I'm not missing anything now.

Search tags for this page
best bionic rom
best droid bionic rom
best droid bionic roms
best rom for bionic

best rom for droid bionic

best roms for droid bionic

bionic roms

droid bionic best rom

droid bionic roms

roms for droid bionic