Best Rom for battery life

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by allsounds, Jul 25, 2010.

1. allsounds

allsounds New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I was wondering what is the best rom out there right now for battery life. Right now I am on Simply Stunning 4.4 and I have to do a minimum of 2 charges a day. I am going out of town in a few weeks and won't have access to power through out the day to charge my phone.

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Matt

#1 allsounds, Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. Sileem

Sileem Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try different kernels, some will give you better life than others.
    But I use Buglessbeast v0.4 with P3 LV 1Ghz kernel, my battery lasts from morning to night with about 60% battery left, regular usage

3. virtualhuman

virtualhuman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Really? What kernel are you using? I've been using Simply Stunning since ESE53 and have always liked the battery life.

With the ULV kernels it got markedly better, too. If your pone can run them, try using a ULV and keep it at 550MHz if you don't need the speed. I can be off the charger from 7:30AM and 12 hours later I've dropped 20%. I'm using the 1GHz ULV on SS 4.5.

4. crackedvenom

crackedvenom Member

Ratings:
    +0
    what do you call regular usage? i would love for my battery to last that long. web browsing, calls, texts, youtube? what all do you use and how often? i may just have to switch to that rom

5. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    There are way too many variables that come into play with battery life. Settings of phone (GPS on?, Sync on?, signal reception, screen brightness), how much you use the phone, how hard you push it during those uses, which kernel + how much you overclock, even temperature can have a negative effect on your battery life (warmer = bad).

There is no one ROM that is the best at particular things for every phone. If there was, everyone would be using it. BB, Cyanogen, Chevy (which you may want to try SS 4.5 since it is out and better), Kangerade, Insanely Clean, Plex, JRummy, Woodyman, Team Chaos and many others my senile brain can't think of right now. All have their fans, and unless there have been specific complaints about battery life, it is impossible to say which one would have the best battery life.

Not saying you shouldn't try different ROMs, but I doubt you will see a huge improvement between them. Unless something was wrong with the previous ROM, or something was wacky with your setup on that ROM.

Some things that may improve your overall battery life:
    - Don't need GPS or sync, disable it.
    - Turn the brightness down. Set the screen timeout to a lower amount.
    - Lower your overclock speed, possibly even underclock it (I set my phone to go to 400mhz max when I go under 20% battery using profiles in SetCPU). Try different kernels, maybe even lower voltage ones if your phone can handle it. Although there have been some people that say MV runs cooler and better than LV or ULV...but in theory the lower the voltage the better.
    - Close or get rid of some unimportant apps and widgets that may be polling sometimes (widgets that constantly update with news, weather, stats or something like that can drain the battery a bit quicker). If you can't live without them, see if you can change their settings. Make it not update every 5 minutes, maybe push it up to every 30 minutes or an hour.
    - Maybe cut down on the number of screens if possible. Having 9 screens while it may be nice, puts a little extra work on your phone.
    - Don't use live wallpapers, use a static wallpaper.
    - Possibly revert to a stock launcher. LauncherPro, ADW, and various other launchers are bound to have a negative effect on your battery even if only slightly. If you do use them, turn some of the settings down, don't use the 3D drawer and various other things that would possibly cause extra strain.

Really there are tons of things you could do, while these probably won't drastically increase your battery life, you may be able to squeeze a bit more juice out of it daily.

The thing is, this phone is quite powerful, and the number of things it does is just going to kill the battery. Regardless of what you do. If you are a heavy user, meaning you are constantly using your phone for whatever purpose, the phone probably isn't going to last all day. I like to think of this phone as a muscle car. She purs, runs great, gets things done quickly, but she requires a lot of gas to get the hard jobs done. There is no miracle ROM, app, setup that will make this possible. Heck I think if you just turned the screen on, put it in airplane mode, set the CPU to 125 (or 250) and let it sit there, it wouldn't last all day (pure speculation here though).

Maybe you should invest in a spare battery, or a portable charger. I got one of Amazon.com: Motorola P790 Portable Charger: Cell Phones & Service <-- those, which also requires Amazon.com: Motorola Mini-USB to Micro-USB Charger Adapter: Cell Phones &… <-- that adapter. But a spare battery may be more cost effective at this point ( Amazon.com: Motorola DROID 1300mah Standard Battery: Cell Phones & Service ). There are larger batteries and better portable chargers out there as well (but not as cheap haha).

6. allsounds

allsounds New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response, I will look into all of these.

Matt

7. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I have been on the same quest for some time, have tried numerous ROMs and as of late, I've found that it's not making too much difference in which ROM I use. However remember, what works for one person, may not (and probably won't) yield the same result for others. Before the recent improvement, I bought another battery from Verizon and a single battery charger.

I'm currently on JRummy's 5.0.9 and I think the biggest battery improvement is coming from Juice Defender/Ultimate Juice. I'm running setCPU at 1200/400 and after unplugging at 6am, am at 70-80% by 3 pm with normal-for-me use.