Best ROM for battery life? (3 day camping)

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by icculusX, Jun 30, 2011.

1. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

So I am headed to a huge music festival for the next 3 or 4 days (its Phish for any of you Phans out there). Obviously I won't be using my phone too much since I will be preoccupied, however I will want to txt and call time to time and maybe upload a few pictures to Facebook. I'll turn off my GPS, DATA, and whatever else I can when not using them, and I will turn the brightness way down unless needed. So...

I am currently running the latest MIUI GB Rom (with ChevyNo1 1 kernel) and love its UI and style, however my battery seems to die off rather quickly even when turning my overclocking down. Aslo, I need to borrow a friends GPS because my phone always seems to want to reboot at the worst of times while navigating. Uhg.

Anyone have any ROM/Kernel combinations, or tips to keep my battery working longer? Again, I wont use it too much, but it might come in handy. I do have a car charger but dont wannt waste gas running it to charge me up. Well that's that...
  2. NebraskaX24

NebraskaX24 New Member

All phones will behave a little differently, however, If you're on a GB rom, I'd recommend the deprimed kernel.

Personally I run PE 4.2 with the kernel it comes with, It's as rock-solid as they come and battery life is about as good as anything.
  3. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Finding what ROM and kernel combo works best, is something you need to do on your own. All phones react a little different, our recommendations only go so far. The lower the voltage the better temps and battery life you should see, but that is only in theory. Lower voltage for some phones ends up equating to errors, which require the phone to fix them which requires it to do more work, which drains more battery. What your phone can handle is probably quite different from what mine can handle.

If reception is weak out there, that could cause problems if you plan on leaving antennae on all the time. You may want to consider putting it in airplane mode when you aren't going to use it. Sure you will miss calls and texts, but this should have a decent effect on your battery life over the course of a few days. Make sure apps aren't running in the background, actually you may want to disable background data and syncs for apps anyhow. Using a static wallpaper and possibly removing widgets from homescreens could give you a bit more life as well.

Higher temperatures can also cause a higher draw on battery. So if it is quite hot outside, your phone's temperatures may be hotter than normal. Not much you can do about that though. This should be rather minimal, but stretched over 3 days it could be a few percent.

You may be want to consider clocking it down to 550 or 600, or thereabouts for your top slot. Since you aren't using it a lot you won't need speed. Also you may want to consider using a less demanding governor, like On Demand or Conservative. Interactive, Smart***/Bumble-bee or whatever tend to spend more time at higher slots in my findings. This makes the phone more responsive, and in a shorter period probably won't have a big effect on battery drain, but over the course of 3 days you are going to want every drop you can get.
  4. 666ogre666

666ogre666 Member

Try SS5.4, its pretty close to totally stable with only minor issues from time to time and with light usage you could easily get 2 days maybe three out of it especially if you leave it clocked at 600mhz

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  5. jestin58761

jestin58761 New Member

Bump.........
  6. lemodular

lemodular New Member

A it off topic but.... Just get a spare battery or two off ebay. Never tried those external battery packs so I will not comment on those. Don't forget to switch to airplane mode if you are fighting for a signal or just turn it off.