Best Picture from an Incredible - better than a Droid?

cuskit

Reaction score
I'm reading mixed views on the camera included with the Incredible. Although 8mgpx vs 5mgpx - do those extra 3 mgpx really make a significant (if any at all) difference in the quality of the photos with this new bird? Here's a shot I took today at my local Inlet. Nothing special, but quite pleasing and acceptable for a "non-dedicated" camera.

Anyone with Incredible photos yet? I'd love to see some posted here. I don't use my Droid slideout keyboard, so if the camera is trumped, I'll see no reason not to move on to the Incredible! :) mikey

BeautifulInlet.jpg

kmo

Reaction score
It seems like no matter how many megapixels we get on our phone cameras they're still not great. It's still a phone camera. It won't beat a real camera for good quality pics...

mcjca-droid

Reaction score
The number of mega-pixels is somewhat of a marketing ploy, especially for cell phones.

The higher the number of mp's the bigger you can view or print the photograph without distortion. For the viewing that most of us will be doing, 3 mp is not that big of a jump up and wouldn't be noticeable on that front alone.

That being said, the quality of camera in the HTC Inc. is far superior to that of the Moto-droid. I have owned both and this is my opinion.

To sum it up, the HTC Inc. takes better pictures, but it is not because of the 3 mp difference between the two cameras.

Cheers,

Mike

ChansteR

Reaction score
Anybody in photography would know that megapixels do not equal quality of the picture.

It all depends on the quality of the lenses and other factors.

The Nexus One with its 5 MP camera I believe takes better pictures than our D.I, however that isn't to say that our camera is bad, it is just that 3 MP won't make a significant difference.

Edit: Actually there is a thread on this right below this one:
http://androidandme.com/2010/05/phones/the-incredible-camera-showdown-droid-incredible-vs-nexus-one/

Last edited:

kmo

Reaction score
I get the whole megapixel thing guys. My point was that a phone camera is just that, you cant expect to get good quality pictures from your phone.

bcrigler

Reaction score
Inc. better pictures for sure then droid. Side by side comparison with my wifes moto. They both have great cameras for phones though. But I think INc is slightly better.

itch808

Reaction score
That test above is cr*p, I can't even reproduce some of the problems he's talking about!

Check out the "other forums" a lot of us posted up pics that shows the picture quality of the incredible. I don't think there's as many active Dinc owners here because of the constant bickering that occurs between the already established Motorola Droid users.

JRFogarty

Reaction score
For me, the noticeable difference is shutter speed. My Droid always had a delayed response while my DI snaps the pic right away.

jcardona1

Reaction score
yeah there's a lot more too it than just megapixels when it comes to picture quality. lens, shutter speed, light sensitivity, etc. just by lookign at the settings control you have with the Incredible i can tell you it's a better camera.

but cell phone camera pics are a joke to me, kinda like a cute little perk for sending picture messages and posting to facebook. i would never think of printing out something from a cell phone. that is what my $2k DSLR setup is for :D

OP
C

cuskit

Reaction score
yeah there's a lot more too it than just megapixels when it comes to picture quality. lens, shutter speed, light sensitivity, etc. just by lookign at the settings control you have with the Incredible i can tell you it's a better camera.

but cell phone camera pics are a joke to me, kinda like a cute little perk for sending picture messages and posting to facebook. i would never think of printing out something from a cell phone. that is what my $2k DSLR setup is for :D

Your point is well taken! I primarily use my Droid to snap out Facebook shots, and also when I'm out measuring up a job for an estimate - it helps a day or two later when I'm working up the quote to have pix to accompany my measurements. For viewing onscreen these photos are very acceptable, but for printing, I doubt they'd be any good. Not that I've printed any - but I did download PrinterShare in the event I wanted to quick zip out a fast print without going through the computer.

Of course, now I have Dropbox - this makes it much easier for file sharing, including my Droid Gallery shots.

My point to posting this thread was not to push a phone camera over any quality stand alone camera - just curious if the Incredible was superior to the Droid in this respect. Not really wanting to go off on a big tangent here. I'm seriously considering getting the Incredible, and this would be one of several reasons I might make that move. :) mikey

jcardona1

Reaction score
^ if the camera is reason enough for you to move, then i wouldnt hesitate! there's several videos on youtube that show the camera and all its settings. it honestly does look to be the best camera on a cell phone to date.

who knows, maybe one day cell phone cameras will be so good that i dont have to lug around this beast everywhere i go! ;)

2010-04-22150235.jpg

matt30

Reaction score
The pictures were very soft on my DI. I don't have a N1 or Droid. My last phone wasn't a smrtphone and was way worse.

But I guess that just comes with looking at and taking DSLR photos most of the day.

BTW, I like lugging around my beast!

Andr0id

Reaction score
That test above is cr*p, I can't even reproduce some of the problems he's talking about!

Check out the "other forums" a lot of us posted up pics that shows the picture quality of the incredible. I don't think there's as many active Dinc owners here because of the constant bickering that occurs between the already established Motorola Droid users.

+1. 'Tis why I'm not around these forums much anymore. Too many Moto Droid users that seem to try to find any small, irrelevant excuse to discredit the Incredible. You may not be "top dog" anymore, but you still have a great smart-phone :). Enjoy it rather than be bitter towards the Incredible.

I :heart: my :greendroid: Incredible.