Best Microsoft Exchange Option

quizzard

Reaction score
Currently using Touchdown for corporate email access, but the trial is now up. Is there an alternative to this app that is free or better?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I use the email app on HTC Rezound (2.3+ whatever) and it's plenty fine for me. Not sure about the stock email on Ice Cream.

Only other free one I'm aware of is K9, and it's been some time since I used it but setting up exchange can be very tricky (even with IT help, which usually they can't or won't help you).

Now I was using Pure Messenger widget (like $3-$4) for a while and it was great, but to get exchange mail in your widget you had to be rooted for it to run a hack (or use K9, but you could only get pull and not push with it, not sure if that's changed). Then the hack broke when Google cranked up security on the stock email app (and same for Gmail), and it wasn't a particularly easy work around to install hack apk's for those (the Gmail is at least available at XDA). So buyer beware on that one. I may explore this again in the coming week or two when I update to ICS.

I realize that's not a lot of help. But in the meantime you can check out K9 for free and maybe be one of the lucky ones it's easy to set-up for.

johenkel

Reaction score
What about the built-in standard email client?
I am using it and am pretty happy.

Can touchdown something that one can't?

Johenkel

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Q

quizzard

Reaction score
The standard email client on the D4 is not compatible with exchange.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The standard email client on the D4 is not compatible with exchange.

Really? You sure you don't have an issue with your company IT or exchange set-up? It's usually not set-up the same way you login from Outlook or even over the web.

johenkel

Reaction score
Sure it's Compatible!!

My company has an MS Exchange Server 2003 running and I have two exchange email accounts linked to my D4! It syncs the calendar as well into the built-in Android calendar.
The first time we tried it there were some problems. Our IT guys had to fiddle for a while but then it worked. At first they said it's Verizon that won't let it happened and they said it's on our end. It was crazy because everyone said: "its not my fault its not working" but then it really was a MS server set-up problem. Don't let them tell you it cannot be done, IT CAN!

You don't even have to get the "corporate data plan"! It works with the standard data plan (figured that out when I tried it on my wife's phone, then I dropped mine).
Has been working for over two years and we have several people with android phones in our co.

You might be able to search on the Internet to find out what your MS server needs to have enabled to work with the Android phones!

Johenkel

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
Q

quizzard

Reaction score
Turns out, I should have been using "Corporate Exhange".

Garlick

Reaction score
I actually don't like the stock ICS email, as I can't search my emails.

I have used touchdown, but the UI is not the best. I think it's a bit too 'pre-school' in it's design. Just not aesthetically pleasing to me, but I guess that's personal preference.

I love Enhanced Email, it's a $20 app, but the aesthetics are awesome, my only issue is that the app seems to stop communicating with my server every 2-3 days, and I have to re-install the program each time, so it's basically unusable.

My company is switching FINALLY to a new exchange server soon, and as soon as that happens, I'm going to try enhanced email again.

wparkerw

Reaction score
My exchange email is all set up on my Razr but it only keeps messages for 30 days. What is the best app out there to work with exchange and keep messages on phone forever. Thanks so much for your help.