Best Method for Files on Home Network From Anywhere

develguy

Reaction score
I've been digging around now for about a week and am trying to figure out the best way to share files from my home network to my droid.

I have been able to connect while inside my WIFI network using ES File Explorer (but only through the Guest acct w/out a pw!? I have no idea why!) and can see photos but cannot play my mp3's for some reason.

I have also successfully connected via VPN from the droid but cannot do anything with the connection. I have read that I can use ES File Explorer to browse my files but can't get ES to let me through.

I wonder if the two above issues are related.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get the VPN to work?

-or-

Can anyone recommend a better method?

All I really want to do is be able to grab (play or stream my music, video and photos)

Thanks!

mrdroid

Reaction score
I run a web server and ftp server from my home so I just use that.

Care to recommend a good FREE one? Does xp have a FTP built in? Can you stream your music?

I'm sure you could stream music from a website but not FTP. FTP will only give you the ability to up/download files. There may even be a way to do it natively in Windows, more likely Vista/7 than XP. You can install IIS in Windows XP, Vista and 7. IIS will give you a web server, ftp server, smtp server if you wish.

I'd have to put a little thought into it. You could put VMWare player on your computer and get something like Turnkey Linux lamp server. Quick and easy way to get a web server up but would require a bit of Linux/Apache knowledge.

I'll do a little more research and see if I can come up with a better streaming option.

mrdroid

Reaction score
Ok... I quickly found 2 solutions that could be much easier than what I just described.
1.. Windows Media Player apparently has the ability to stream over the internet
2.. A product called media hive.

media hive looks like an interesting solution as it appears to be somewhat geared toward streaming to an iphone.

Take a look into those options. If you want, I can take a look tonight and see if I can get them working.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That's a good start for me!

+1 for SugarSynch. It has solved a multitude of separate problems for me with four computers and two smartphones in the household. The cost, $99 a year to backup and selectively synchronize up to 60 gigabytes on an unlimited number of devices, is worth it to me. Especially when I can eliminate various home brew solutions for each of the separate computers. (It also provides "versioning" so even if you delete files, they can be recovered.)

And for those with much more modest needs, SugarSynch has a free two gigabyte plan that provides the same features.

A couple of caveats, though. First, it doesn't currently backup and synchronize Outlook (.pst) files. Second, it does not currently backup and synchronize external drives connected to your computers automatically. However, you may back up external drives and access them from any internet enabled device; it just doesn't provide the backup/synchronization automatically.

jimnutt

Reaction score
Orb will let you access your media and document files from anywhere as well. It works pretty well, but use the web interface, not the app in the market. The app is, shall we say, not fit for use.