Best Home Launcher replacement for ICS?

joshxdroid

Reaction score
BlueSun said:
I have Home Switcher. I use it to switch from GO to Apex and ADW.Launcher and others I've tried. My problem is that, for stock ICS, I don't know whether to switch to Homescreen (com.motorola.blur.home) or Target Home Launcher (com.bh.android.TargetHomeLauncher). One is motorola and the other is google/android based, but which is the canonical ICS stock?

Interesting........ I did not know the phone came with two stock home screens. I may have to experiment. Muwahahaha! (mad scientist laugh)

joshxdroid

Reaction score
BlueSun said:
I have Home Switcher. I use it to switch from GO to Apex and ADW.Launcher and others I've tried. My problem is that, for stock ICS, I don't know whether to switch to Homescreen (com.motorola.blur.home) or Target Home Launcher (com.bh.android.TargetHomeLauncher). One is motorola and the other is google/android based, but which is the canonical ICS stock?

Ok, so i just installed home switcher on my razr. I haven't got any third party launchers, and it only shows the one motorola home.

BlueSun

Reaction score
Do you have ICS? I never noticed the two before, though I have been using ADW and then GO for so long I might not have even noticed.

Also, since I am probably going to root and unlock the phone, as I did my last two smartphones, wouldn't it be logical to use a google/android stock launcher, since one of the main reasons to root a phone is to get rid of as much Moto and VerizonWireless bloatware as you can. The google/android launcher is, I assume, pure android, while the Moto blur is probably just more glop of the unnecessary Moto bloat.

NOTE: Verizon says they are the only company that has an agreement with Google not to include that nasty little spy app that sends every action, every keystroke, and every text or email you receive to your provider. All other Android-based phones (and Apple iPhones) come with it pre-installed. I wonder sometimes if the reason VW didn't want Google's spyware was because they already had their own buried amidst all that bloatware. I'll have to check on the rooting/hack discussions about just what Moto and VW root apps can safely be burned at the stake...;)

joshxdroid

Reaction score
BlueSun said:
Do you have ICS? I never noticed the two before, though I have been using ADW and then GO for so long I might not have even noticed.

Also, since I am probably going to root and unlock the phone, as I did my last two smartphones, wouldn't it be logical to use a google/android stock launcher, since one of the main reasons to root a phone is to get rid of as much Moto and VerizonWireless bloatware as you can. The google/android launcher is, I assume, pure android, while the Moto blur is probably just more glop of the unnecessary Moto bloat.

NOTE: Verizon says they are the only company that has an agreement with Google not to include that nasty little spy app that sends every action, every keystroke, and every text or email you receive to your provider. All other Android-based phones (and Apple iPhones) come with it pre-installed. I wonder sometimes if the reason VW didn't want Google's spyware was because they already had their own buried amidst all that bloatware. I'll have to check on the rooting/hack discussions about just what Moto and VW root apps can safely be burned at the stake...;)

I do have ics. I don't know why i don't have the extra home option.

HankB

Reaction score
I have a couple questions about launchers. While running GB, I was using Go EX. Before I got the ICS upgrade I switched back to the stock launcher.

First question: Is there a launcher that comes close to the vanilla ICS experience? I'm curious about what that is like.

Second, I have noticed an annoying problem with the soft keys (prior Droid X user...) All too often when I swipe down across the bottom of the screen, I drag across the home or back buttons and the application acts as if I clicked the back or the home button. Do all launchers behave this way? I don't recall if the stock launcher on GB did that. I haven't had the phone very long.

thanks,
hank

Reaction score
I have a couple questions about launchers. While running GB, I was using Go EX. Before I got the ICS upgrade I switched back to the stock launcher.

First question: Is there a launcher that comes close to the vanilla ICS experience? I'm curious about what that is like.

Second, I have noticed an annoying problem with the soft keys (prior Droid X user...) All too often when I swipe down across the bottom of the screen, I drag across the home or back buttons and the application acts as if I clicked the back or the home button. Do all launchers behave this way? I don't recall if the stock launcher on GB did that. I haven't had the phone very long.

thanks,
hank

Yes this is my only gripe with the razr. I am always swiping down too far and end up exiting whatever app I am using. Wish the keys were like the DX .

Sent from my XT912 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Jungle King 76 said:
Yes this is my only gripe with the razr. I am always swiping down too far and end up exiting whatever app I am using. Wish the keys were like the DX .

Sent from my XT912 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

If you think the RAZR it's bad, imagine the on screen home button like the gnex

JeffDenver

Reaction score
First question: Is there a launcher that comes close to the vanilla ICS experience?
I think the stock launcher is Trebuchet. Trust me, you do not really want it. Nova Launcher looks the same and has more options.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Ok, so i just installed home switcher on my razr. I haven't got any third party launchers, and it only shows the one motorola home.

That's because there is only one stock launcher not two.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

joshxdroid

Reaction score
JohnnytheK said:
That's because there is only one stock launcher not two.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

That's what i figured. I was just addressing what blue sun had mentioned about there bring a moto launcher and an ics launcher. But I'm thinking he has one of his third party launchers showing up that he forgot about? Said he had adw and nova i think. Anyways, i just wondered if it was possible, so i tried it, and there is only one.

BlueSun

Reaction score
Nope. I know all of the launchers I've installed and tried. Besides, these two launchers are not from the Android Market. One is pure Google Android, and the other is Motorola Blur. Both, AFAIK, predate the upgrade to ICS and I can only surmise that, since they both look and act the same, the Moto Blur was supposed to be the stock Gingerbread launcher under Moto/Verizon, and, somehow, the underlying google/android launcher was also installed when the phone was first set up last December. Both appear, on low-level investigation, to have been there when I first got the phone.

"You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead—your next stop, the Motorola Zone."

Pidge

Reaction score
That's the same with any of the third party launchers. I think it's due to the fact that in ICS the widgets are in the app drawer so until they find a fix and update the launchers you'll have to press to see the text. I have both Nova and Apex and they both have that issue. Of course I could root and then use the widgets from the app drawer like in the stock launcher for both Nova and Apex but my phone is working well now and don't want to mess anything up.

I just got ICS yesterday and have been looking for a reason for this annoying problem with the widgets. Thanks!